Have You Heard "Flatfoot Sam"?

JSngry

It's this Argo 1957 single by somebody named T.V. Slim. Great tenor solo by Robert Parker, and some DEFINITIVE drumming by the great Charles "Hungry" Williams. I've had it for 20+ years on various anthologies, but last night I put on the CHESS NEW ORLEANS set at work, and when that song came on, I just looped it for over TWO HOURS. That's how strong the groove is on this badboy! We can only use headphones, or else I'd have had the whole crew jammin'!

Flatfoot Sam bought an automobile.

No money down, got a heck of deal.

Didn't wanna work, just ride around town.

Finance cumpny put his feets on the ground.

Flatfoot sam, you're always in a jam.

Sure, it's not "you are the promised kiss of springtime that makes the lonely winter seem long", but hey - IT WORKS!

And DAMN was Hungry a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDD Muthaphukkah!

"Flatfoot Sam" - ask for it by name.

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Official Records put out a whole 70-minute CD of T.V. Slim not long ago (Official 5660). Along with Flat Foot Sam, you get Flat Foot Sam #2, Flat Foot Sam is Back, Flat Foot Sam Meets Jim Dandy, and the rest of 'em.

Actually, when T.V. wasn't doing the wide-inch-screen flat foot floogie, he could sing some really low down Louisiana swamp drag blues. There are plenty of those on this compilation.

Edited by John L

Chris: I don't know much about the "Official" label. I used to pick up Official disks at a store in Paris when I was living there. I know that Roots and Rhythm in El Cerrito, California tries to stock them. You might contact that store. It still lists the T.V. Slim disk, although it could already be out of stock.

It is T.V. Slim, "Flat Foot Sam" (Offical 5660)

http://www.rootsandrhythm.com/

Official has released a number of full disks of superb music from unjustly neglected artists. Some of my favorites are

Jimmy Wilson and His All-Stars, "Jumpin' From Six to Six." (Official 5256) Intense down home minor key blues from California with Lafayette "Thing" Thomas on guitar. Absolutely brilliant! Music to die for!

Baby Boy Warren, "Stop Breaking Down" (Official 5901) Classic post-WWII Detroit blues, some with Rice Miller "Sonny Boy Williamson" on harp.

Papa Lightfoot and Sammy Myers, "Blues Harmonica Wizards" (Official 5254). Good early stuff from Myers, but it is the Lightfoot that needs to be heard to be believed. Incredible blues and (yes) jazz harp.

Chuck Willis, "My Story" vol. 1 and 2 (Official 58301 and 58303) The early recordings. Top notch R&B

There is also

Smokey Smothers, "...Sings the Backporch Blues" (Official 779) Includes virtually all of Smothers' recordings, not just the "Backporch Blues" LP. Smothers is an interesting down home blues artist who has a cult of hard core fans. To be honest, I can enjoy him in small doses, although he wears thin on me rather fast. Freddy King does add some very tasty guitar to some of the tracks, however.

Edited by John L

Emusic has two related items:

Flatfoot Sam by Mike Morgan and the Crawl

You Can't Love Me by TV Slim

I don't think the Mike Morgan cover would be JSngry approved. The later is non-offensive, but it's pretty much run-of-the-mill 60s R 'n B. Not that that's such a bad thing.