soundproofing interior sliding doors

friends,

i'm moving into a new place tomorrow and am going to need to soudproof the french doors reparating my bedroom from another. i need to refrain from applying any adhesive to the door itself. was thinking about buying sheets/panels of acoustical foam but want to explore all options before i throw that kind of money down.

there are several kinds of foam. i'm not interested in the kind that simply keeps sound waves from bouncing around a studio, that's an altogether different thing. i'm trying to block sound from coming in and going out of these doors.

just so we're clear, this is an old turn-of-the-century row house so the doors are old and far from sealed. (tried doing a google image search now for a comparable set-up but go nothing. oh well...)

thanks as always,

Brandon

Brandon, what's the purpose for the soundproofing? Is this a listening room and you just want to keep the sound from the rest of the house? Sorry to say, but unless you can seal the thing completely foam probably won't do much good - except perhaps on the walls that the foam's actually covering.

My wife's been having an ongoing problem with the psychologist in the office next to hers. Despite extensive (and presumably professional) soundproofing, she can hear just about everything that takes place in the doctor's office. And since the patients are often under hypnosis or undergoing some sort of past-life regression therapy, my wife gets an earful of a lot of juicy (and often disturbing) stuff. :D

At the end of the move, steal 3 or 4 furniture pads from the movers and nail them at the top of the doorway. :)

movers? never heard of 'em... :cool:

anyway, i think i have plan. first of all, the point of the soundproofing is not audio-related. it's a privacy issue between two respectful roommates and as it stands now, there's very little keeping sound from exiting/entering our otherwise conjoined rooms. for example, there's about an inch-or-so between the bottom of the sliding doors and the floor...hardword at that. so it's basically like trying to drink a glass of water out of a pasta strainer.

the solution:

i'm buying thin plywood to wedge inside the door frame on each side of the double doors, roughly 4'x7'. it will be painted the same color as the trim (which needs to be repainted anyway so...). along the outside border of the plywood, where it meets the door frame, i am going to adhere rubber edging so the plywood fits snuggly into the frame...tight enough to warrant wedging it in there with a rubber mallet. handles will be screwed into the plywood (on the outside) so that it (the plywood) can be removed easily. on the inside of the plywood, invisible from the outside, i am going to adhere acoustic sound-deadening foam.

so there you go.

Brandon

My wife's been having an ongoing problem with the psychologist in the office next to hers. Despite extensive (and presumably professional) soundproofing, she can hear just about everything that takes place in the doctor's office. And since the patients are often under hypnosis or undergoing some sort of past-life regression therapy, my wife gets an earful of a lot of juicy (and often disturbing) stuff. :D

Hey, she could write a sequel to Woody Allen's Another Woman :)

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:2586