Jackie McLean RIP

chris olivarez

this thead is going in the wrong direction

--let us share anicdotes and stories et al about jackie

1st of all: how many people here saw him live in the 50s, or 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s or even 00s

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much left unsaid. Definitely the end of an era. This has hit me as hard as any jazz death since Monk.

But the man made his mark. Like all the greatest jazz players, he was unmistakable after only a few notes.

I'm listening to Destination Out right now. Beautiful stuff. Jackie's playing was always so direct.

(I'm surprised that I haven't heard about this until just now, as I've been hanging out in some pretty heavy jazz circles for that past two nights: ICP Orchestra concert Friday, Ran Blake and Charles Gayle concert Saturday.)

What a body of work! Not a bad record in the bunch!

Either you haven't heard or are deliberately repressing Monuments, which is a righteous stinker.

I am certainly sorry to hear this. One of the last of the greats. He led or co-led many of my favorite BN sessions. Very sorry not to have seen him live, but I came to jazz only fairly recently when he wasn't really touring (or at least not where I was living).

I don't have much to add except this made me very, very sad. And like so many others have mentioned, his passing more than any other has affected me. I can't really recall the moment I first heard his playing - he kind of "snuck up on me" over the years, but has grown into one of my absolute favourite saxophone players of all time. You can just tell that he is plugged right into the soul of jazz. Always "on"!

Actually, I felt sadder about it today than yesterday, so I'll go spin some records right away to blow away the sadness. How can you not feel uplifted listening to "Right Now!"? :)

I am certainly sorry to hear this. One of the last of the greats. He led or co-led many of my favorite BN sessions. Very sorry not to have seen him live, but I came to jazz only fairly recently when he wasn't really touring (or at least not where I was living).

I'm in the same boat - unfortunately came to jazz too late to get the chance to hear him live.

Very sad news. :(

Actually, I felt sadder about it today than yesterday, so I'll go spin some records right away to blow away the sadness. How can you not feel uplifted listening to "Right Now!"? :)

Well, that record does contain the tune "Poor Eric," which is a weighty and somewhat depressing tune - probably appropriate considering our earthly loss...

I had the pleasure of seeing him, Grachan, Bobby and Rene in Summer 2004 at the Blue Note. It was a great gig and a very kind crew. Glad I got the chance.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but it was news to me -- according to Ira Gitler, Rene is not Jackie's son but his stepson.

I've never heard this either, but I guess it explains the 1946 year of birth that most jazz references give for Rene. Jackie would have been 14 or 15 (depending in which year of birth you believe for Jackie) when Rene was born. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Has anyone seen the documentary of him teaching in the 1970's?

My memory is foggy. Was this ever aired on tv?... PBS? I do distinctly remember a profile of McLean- probably a 20-minute segment of an hour-long magazine show- years ago. In fact I may have taped it. I want to say it was hosted/narrated by Ed Bradley, but I could be wrong. At any rate, my recollection is that it was excellent. Jackie's warmth and "presence" as a leader and educator really came through loud and clear.

I've now seen McLean's age reported as being 73, 74, and 75. Anybody know for sure? NPR's saying 75.

Most of the reference books give his dob as May 17, 1932, but I've heard from more than one source that the real year is 1931, and that for some reason he had shaved a year off long ago.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but it was news to me -- according to Ira Gitler, Rene is not Jackie's son but his stepson.

I've never heard this either, but I guess it explains the 1946 year of birth that most jazz references give for Rene. Jackie would have been 14 or 15 (depending in which year of birth you believe for Jackie) when Rene was born. Not impossible, but unlikely.

That does make sense. I didn't realize Rene was that old and consequently had to do a double-take... I mean some people start early, but sheesh!

Guest akanalog

mr. mclean played at my local middle school a few years ago. he and phil woods sort of dueled but it wasn't really a contest. woods played the part and played like a frumpy dumpy old man and mclean played with fire. who else was up on stage at that point? billy drummond? john lee?

it was so cool seeing mclean up on that stage where i had to watch stupid assemblies and whatnot for 3 of my formative years.

if i were listing my top 10 blue note albums (as a man permanently burnt out on hard bop) i would have 3 or 4 mclean albums on the list.