Harold Land

webbcity

Anybody out there a Harold Land fan? I got into his playing about five or six years ago, starting with his classic hard bop albums like "Harold in the Land of Jazz" and "The Fox," then getting into his more adventurous stuff from the 60s and 70s with Bobby Hutcherson and his own albums on Cadet and Mainstream. My two favorites are probably "The Peace-Maker" and "Choma (Burn)." Killer stuff.

"The Peace-Maker" is now available as a Japanese import on CD, but I'm still holding out for a domestic release (I have the LP to tide me over until then). I think Verve owns the Cadet catalog now if I'm not mistaken.

I've also heard talk of Mosaic releasing a Hutcherson/Land Select edition set late this year. I hope that's not just a rumor, I've been bugging them about this for years!

For the last several years I've been obsessed with tracking down anything I can that Land has played on. Having picked up most of the commercially available recordings and hard-to-find LPs I'm now on the lookout for the really rare/unissued stuff, whether it's recordings, interviews, film (especially!) or whatever...please drop me a line if you hear of anything!

Thanks,

Tim

Count me in also as a very big Harold Land fan, there are quite a few threads on his work on this site which delve into the various recordings. Of the obscurities of note it's worth mentioning Bobby Hutcherson's 'Inner Glow' (King Blue Note, hopefully to be reissued by Mosaic as part of a Mosaic Select) and that lovely laid-back session with strings 'A Lazy Afternoon'. What amazed me was that as recent as 1999 when I caught his band at a gig he was still playing in that exploratory style he used on the Land/Hutcherson albums. Obviously influenced by Coltrane but with his own somewhat angular/sour tone adding an intriguing edge and element of unpredictability. A wonderfully individual tenor stylist - always instantly recognisable.

Another Harold Land fan here!

As I've stated elsewhere I think he was the perfect front-line parter for Brownie; all their recordings together are so enjoyable from start to finish. It's fascinating that he so easily was able to adapt his style - which, as sidewinder said, was still immediatly recognizable - to the more progressive settings of the late 60s. 'Peacemaker' is fine, although I wouldn't wait too long for a non-Japanese release. Aside from 'Study in Brown', Hutcherson's 'Total Eclipse' will always be the album I return to again and again. Hutcherson, Land and Chick Corea - what a lineup!

Been a Harold Land fan ever since I heard him with the Max Roach-Clifford Brown quintet back in the fifties.

I grew up on jazz with people like Land.

The man was a giant!

Caught him live only once when the Hutcherson-Land group performed at the Antibes jazz festival back in 1969. Outstanding performance. Wish I had heard him live more!

Tim,

Are you familiar with the bit-torrent download site, Dimeadozen.org? There were some awesome private recordings of Land available in the last few months, including a 1965 show in Seattle with Monk Montgomery and Philly Joe, a 1958 concert with Elmo Hope, as well as an appearance of the Land-Blue Mitchell group shortly before Blue died.

Tim,

Are you familiar with the bit-torrent download site, Dimeadozen.org? There were some awesome private recordings of Land available in the last few months, including a 1965 show in Seattle with Monk Montgomery and Philly Joe, a 1958 concert with Elmo Hope, as well as an appearance of the Land-Blue Mitchell group shortly before Blue died.

Hi Dan,

Thanks, yes, I'm on dimeadozen and have grabbed the recordings you mentioned...both the '58 and the '65 show are amazing! Those shows popped up because I made a similar request fro Land material on the Dime Yahoo group. And I was actually the one who uploaded the '78 show with Land & Mitchell too.

Still holding out for some video...I know Harold made a bunch of TV appearances including one with the Harold Land/RED Mitchell group on Jazz Scene USA in 1960 or so. But I would kill for any audio or video from 1966-1975!

Tim

Count me in also as a very big Harold Land fan, there are quite a few threads on his work on this site which delve into the various recordings. Of the obscurities of note it's worth mentioning Bobby Hutcherson's 'Inner Glow' (King Blue Note, hopefully to be reissued by Mosaic as part of a Mosaic Select) and that lovely laid-back session with strings 'A Lazy Afternoon'. What amazed me was that as recent as 1999 when I caught his band at a gig he was still playing in that exploratory style he used on the Land/Hutcherson albums. Obviously influenced by Coltrane but with his own somewhat angular/sour tone adding an intriguing edge and element of unpredictability. A wonderfully individual tenor stylist - always instantly recognisable.

I do have a copy of Inner Glow on tape...it's an interesting record. Some good stuff, but Harold I think only gets one solo on the whole album. I do hope Mosaic releases it though! A Lazy Afternoon is fantastic.

Wow, you saw him live. Sadly I started getting into his music just shortly before he passed away, so I never had the pleasure of seeing him.

Tim

Still holding out for some video...I know Harold made a bunch of TV appearances including one with the Harold Land/RED Mitchell group on Jazz Scene USA in 1960 or so. But I would kill for any audio or video from 1966-1975!

I was playing a gig in Vegas in 1981 and saw a TV commercial that Tony Bennett did for the Chamber of Commerce (or something like it). He was backed by his usual trio, but added to the group was Harold Land, who played quietly under Bennett's reading of the script. I guess that Harold did that gig for a little while.

I prefer harold Land's playing during the period that he was recording for the Contemporary label. His playing on the Curtis Counce Group sessions was particularly fine. I also think he played great on the Hampton Hawes recording -For Real-. Also check out his recording on the Jazzland label titled WEST COAST BLUES where he is joined by such excellent players as Wes Montgomery, Joe Gordon, and Barry Harris.

I do have a copy of Inner Glow on tape...it's an interesting record. Some good stuff, but Harold I think only gets one solo on the whole album. I do hope Mosaic releases it though! A Lazy Afternoon is fantastic.

Wow, you saw him live. Sadly I started getting into his music just shortly before he passed away, so I never had the pleasure of seeing him.

Tim

It was a memorable open-air concert in California. After the gig I got chance to chat to Harold for 5 minutes or so. I was hoping that he'd do a tour of the UK but sadly there were no plans and it never happened. It must have been many years since he played over here and I got the impression it must have been Ronnie Scotts decades ago. Very nice cat !

I heard hime live once, in the summer of 2000, when he appeared with "The Monk Tentet All Stars" at the Stockholm Jazz Festival. The band consisted of Steve Lacy, Phil Woods, Land and Howard Johnson on saxes, Jack Walrath and Don Sickler on trumpets, Eddie Bert on trombone and Ronnie Matthews, David Williams and Billy Higgins in the rhythm section.

Unfortunately, Land's tone sounded very dry and wasn't helped by trebly amplification. He was in good spirits, but was clearly not as fluent on his instruments as in past years. Lacy sounded weak, too; the only member in the sax section who turned in a completely convincing performance was Woods. The color of his face was rather grey, he wore big sun glasses and did not change the stern expression of his face during the show - in fact, he was the one on stage that looked the least alive - but his playing was quite engaging. The rhythm section was fine as well; Matthews, who also did the annoncements, was in very good form.

After their show ended (I forget what came next), I watched Land and a couple of others from the Monk tribute band strolling around among the audience (only five years later, I believe artists don't do such things anymore) and my first thought was to ask of an autograph. Land was smiling a peaceful smile and talking quietly to the other guy. In the end I decided not to interrupt them. Well, at least I have an autographed copy of 'Take Aim' I found at Mole's in London.

Guest akanalog

xoscia's dance (spelling?) is an album that didn't connect with me totally but is worth a listen if you are a land fan. it's on muse and from 1980. billy higgins is that star of this show, though-doing some interesting stuff on the cymbals, IMO. bobby hutcherson shows up, but unfortunately, only in a limited (3 song?) capacity.

Used to live in the same neighborhood as Mr. Land during the 80's and early 90's. Would see him at the corner convenience store on Fridays and Saturdays when he was on his way to gigs, looking very dapper. Always a very nice, pleasant man.

Also, would hear him play at Billy Higgins' World Stage, which was down the street from me during that same period.

Harold has a son, Harold Land, Jr., who is a good pianist.

xoscia's dance (spelling?) is an album that didn't connect with me totally but is worth a listen if you are a land fan. it's on muse and from 1980. billy higgins is that star of this show, though-doing some interesting stuff on the cymbals, IMO. bobby hutcherson shows up, but unfortunately, only in a limited (3 song?) capacity.

I felt the same about that album, but it's one I return to a few times every year. I also have Harold playing with Jimmy Liggins and his Drops of Joy in the late 40s. I do like to remember where these guys did their training.

MG

I was playing a gig in Vegas in 1981 and saw a TV commercial that Tony Bennett did for the Chamber of Commerce (or something like it).

Upon further reflection, I believe that the commercial was for the Las Vegas Jazz Society.

I wish I could find recordings of Harold with Tony...I know he did several tours with him. Surely one of them was recorded for a radio broadcast?

Tim

I felt the same about that album, but it's one I return to a few times every year. I also have Harold playing with Jimmy Liggins and his Drops of Joy in the late 40s. I do like to remember where these guys did their training.

MG

I like Xocia's Dance, but I agree it's a bit uneven. A few of the tunes on there really blow me away though..."Dark Mood" is one of my favorite Land compositions.

What is the Jimmy Liggins recording? I'd love to hear more Land from that period. I have some early tracks he did on a compilation called "Black California" and they're outstanding.

Anybody out there a Harold Land fan?

Me, though it sounds like you've got a lot of stuff I don't have yet. I trust you have the Carmell Jones Select and the Curtis Counce Group albums...Land is in top form on these.

Yes, excellent stuff! He sounds incredible on Carmell's recordings. And "Jazz Impressions of Folk Music" is on there too. I actually avoided that recording for a while because I thought the concept was a bit too goofy. I mean, I couldn't imagine that an album containing "Hava Na Gila" and "On Top of Old Smokey" could be any good. Boy, was I wrong...

Tim