The Kenny Clarke Francy Boland Big Band

Daniel A

Rearward is Italian - their only fault is that their releases are a bit overprized... and have bad distribution (at least here... the three Clarke/Boland, Griff/Bags, Shihab compilations, I got them from dustygroove of all places... I'm still somehow thinking an Italian release ought to be cheaper and easier to find over here, but...)

Lon, I have all the new ones on my wantlist anyway, no matter how much duplication there might be!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite bands, I am trying to get as much as I can, here is what I have so far:

Now Hear Our Meanin', Calypso Blues, Swing Waltz Swing, Music For The Small Hours, Two Originals: All Blues/Sax No End,

Open Door, Volcano, All Smiles, More, My Kind Of World, Fellini 712, More Smiles, Paris Jazz Concert(2 CD), At Her Majesty's Pleasure, Off Limits, Blue Flame-Red Hot-White(without KC). The Small Groups: Sahib Shihab: Summer Dawn, And All Those Cats, Seeds; Johnny Griffin: Lady Heavy Bottom's Waltz; Benny Bailey: Mirrors.

BTW will soonl get Griff'n and Bags.

Vic

• 8 years later...

Dusty Groove have a Rearward reissue LP/CD of ‘Out of the Folk Bag’ showing as intended release ‘around Nov 1 2017’, yet Rearward are not listing it. :huh:

Ironic, as I have just got hold of the 2003 LP German reissue of this one. Anyone know the label/origin of the Studio 2 reissue?

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Dusty Groove have a Rearward reissue LP/CD of ‘Out of the Folk Bag’ showing as intended release ‘around Nov 1 2017’, yet Rearward are not listing it. :huh:

Ironic, as I have just got hold of the 2003 LP German reissue of this one. Anyone know the label/origin of the Studio 2 reissue?

Do you have had a look here https://www.discogs.com/Clarke-Boland-Big-Band-Out-Of-The-Folk-Bag/release/5289672?

• 2 years later...

Going through the sales-bins at The Hague's Jazz Center (that will sadly close its doors in November) I came across a cd-edition of  'Marcel Marceau prasentiert Swing im Bahnhoff' - a record I was unaware of but decided to buy on account of the line-up and recording date: it features the Francy Boland Kenny Clarke Sextet in a live-performance in Rolandseck, Germany on September 25 1965.

The cd is on Rearward/Schema and may be a useful purchase for fans of Francy Boland-Kenny Clarke. Informal and laid-back (the performance took place at a fundraiser with high profile guests) it is still a thoroughly enjoyable record. Excellent production (by Gigi Campi) and sound-quality as well. 

Edited by Mark13

1 hour ago, Mark13 said:

Going through the sales-bins at The Hague's Jazz Center (that will sadly close its doors in November) I came across a cd version of  'Marcel Marceau prasentiert Swing im Bahnhoff' - a record I was unaware of but decided to buy on account of the line-up and recording date: it features the Francy Boland Kenny Clarke Sextet in a live-performance in Rolandseck, Germany on September 25 1965.

The cd is on Rearward/Schema and may be a useful purchase for fans of Francy Boland-Kenny Clarke. Informal and laid-back (the performance took place at a fundraiser with high profile guests) it is still an thoroughly enjoyable record. Excellent production (by Gigi Campi) and sound-quality as well. 

A rather subtle Clarke/Boland small group effort, nevertheless enjoyable ....

13 hours ago, Mark13 said:

Going through the sales-bins at The Hague's Jazz Center (that will sadly close its doors in November) I came across a cd-edition of  'Marcel Marceau prasentiert Swing im Bahnhoff' - a record I was unaware of but decided to buy on account of the line-up and recording date: it features the Francy Boland Kenny Clarke Sextet in a live-performance in Rolandseck, Germany on September 25 1965.

The cd is on Rearward/Schema and may be a useful purchase for fans of Francy Boland-Kenny Clarke. Informal and laid-back (the performance took place at a fundraiser with high profile guests) it is still a thoroughly enjoyable record. Excellent production (by Gigi Campi) and sound-quality as well. 

I have this 1965 studio album by the Sextet that's pretty good. Would be interesting to hear some of these tunes in a live setting.

R-1458077-1538337436-8044.jpeg.jpg

.., There is also this vinyl L:P.,Live recorded in Italy..: 17 Men in Concert ,by Campi with the 'claps-hands' cut-off so to save 'space' to made the full lenght concert,.!!,.- There are also some more ''Clarke - Boland'' big bands  (* cd'sTaped ) recorded from Live jazz festivals , or concerts broadcasted in Radio-music programs,. These ,RARE,  'Taped-recordings' are for jazz Traders-collectionists..-

Ciao ,fabio .,Roma - fabiodrummy@gmail.com

- ,, - 

• 1 year later...