• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure:

'My Kind of World' / Gitte & The Band (Hörzu/Columbia, 1968) /Bureau

The Gitte is still available, although it seems to be a limited edition:

bureau-b.de - scroll down the page.

Never on CD:

'Volcano' (Polydor, 1969)

'At Her Majesty's Pleasure...' (Polydor, 1970)

These two were included in the limited second Campi box.

Thanks, Lon and Mike! I've updated the list according to your info. It wasn't my intention that the list would appear as definitive, just something I did to make my lunch break pass quicker. Also just added the Muse album to the list in the first post.

Thanks, Tjobbe. I know these are available from time to time; I just thought I'd label them as OOP in the list to make people aware of the fact that they will perhaps be harder to get in the future. But I'll add the Japanese version of Sax No End! :)

Just found (what looks to me at a cursory glance in near mint condition) a copy of At Her Majesty's Pleasure on the Black Lion label, secondhand in Harold Moores Record shop in London which has just started selling jazz in its basement. :w

That place is amazing. Reminds me of the Elf's bank in the Harry Potter movie. Some incredible classical music vinyl titles, if you are into that stuff - at prices to match !

Any thoughts on "Calypso Blues"? I just grabbed it at Amoeba for $10 because it looked interesting. Haven't spun it yet, though.

Like all of the Rearwards it's very good indeed, with superb sound quality. Is this the CD or LP version (I've got the 2LP set version). Very relaxed music and some enjoyable Jimmy Woode vocals. :tup

Any thoughts on "Calypso Blues"? I just grabbed it at Amoeba for $10 because it looked interesting. Haven't spun it yet, though.

Like all of the Rearwards it's very good indeed, with superb sound quality. Is this the CD or LP version (I've got the 2LP set version). Very relaxed music and some enjoyable Jimmy Woode vocals. :tup

Cool. I got a little worried because AMG gave it a fairly negative review.

It's the CD version.

Cool. I got a little worried because AMG gave it a fairly negative review.

It's the CD version.

Sidewinder speaks true!

Great stuff.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Rearward have a quite a few Clarke/Boland and related titles in print by now:

http://www.ishtar.it/framerearward.htm

some are weird choices though... I think all or most of "Companionship" is already on one of the older discs (RW 101/102/103), or "Seeds" is on there or something... I have a lot of catching up to do there, as all I have are RW 101, 102 and 103, as well as the related Carl Drewo disc (RW 105) (and the unrelated, fantastic Azzolini disc, RW 104).

I was delighted to find that this excellent session, which I have as an Argo lp, is out on cd at least thanks to Rearward:

sahibshihabsummerdawn.jpg

Thanks, Jazzbo, for reviving this thread from before my time with the board. Although I saw the Clarke Boland Big Band play at Manchester's Free Trade Hall (in 1978 or 79?) and went to a Kenny Clarke drum clinic the following day, it's only this year that I've got round to buying any of their records. I now have All Smiles, More Smiles, All Blues and Sax No End, the last two now combined on Two Originals. Of these, I think my favorite is Sax No End, which Peter Friedman draws attention to back in the thread. Am now listening to David Brent Johnson's 2005 shows on the CBBB: thanks for the link! Better late than never!

Edited by BillF

Bill, glad you are enjoying the cds you have. . . Any of the Rearwards are recommended to pick up. I love this band!

Flurin, there's really not much duplication I believe on Companionship and Seeds from the earlier cds. I haven't wanted to take the time to do direct comparisons, but lots of new material you'll want on those two.

Bill, glad you are enjoying the cds you have. . . Any of the Rearwards are recommended to pick up. I love this band!

David's radio shows inspired me to get a CBBB live album, so I've just bought their Tnp Oct 29th 1969. Will let you know my views when it arrives.

I was delighted to find that this excellent session, which I have as an Argo lp, is out on cd at least thanks to Rearward:

sahibshihabsummerdawn.jpg

Thanks, Jazzbo, for reviving this thread from before my time with the board. Although I saw the Clarke Boland Big Band play at Manchester's Free Trade Hall (in 1978 or 79?) and went to a Kenny Clarke drum clinic the following day, it's only this year that I've got round to buying any of their records. I now have All Smiles, More Smiles, All Blues and Sax No End, the last two now combined on Two Originals. Of these, I think my favorite is Sax No End, which Peter Friedman draws attention to back in the thread. Am now listening to David Brent Johnson's 2005 shows on the CBBB: thanks for the link! Better late than never!

I'm also a big fan and have most of their recordings. Three Latin Adventures is a must have , as are Open Door, Change Of Scenes with Stan Gtetz and November Girl with Carmen McRae.