Elmo Hope -- Trio and Quintet

Larry Kart

Hope's stature and individuality ought to be no secret here, but I've been knocked out recently reacquainting myself with this -- especially his 1953 debut under his own name, a trio date with Percy Heath and Philly Joe Jones. I was struck in particular by Hope's magical recasting of "Sweet and Lovely," which bears some resemblance to Monk's version but is more lyrical though just as quirky (and to different and IMO more subtle ends). Am I wrong, or is there some Teddy Wilson peeking through Hope's conception here? Also, don't miss Hope's two fierce, hypnotic chourses at the end of "Hot Sauce" and the brilliance with which he works his through the tricky bridge in his choruses on "Abdullah" (from the album's second date, with trumpeter Freeman Lee and Frank Foster, and Blakey taking the place of Philly Joe). I can't say that I prefer the playing of the early Hope to his more oblique, spidery-in-touch later work. He's in or is entering that later phase on the album's last date, from 1957 and L.A., with Stu Williamson, Harold Land, Leroy Vinnegar, and Frank Butler, but the early Hope here is superb and not really that close to anything else AFAIK -- before, then or since. Finally, though it's pretty obvious, there's the sheer, relaxed melodic coherence of his lines (but with some rumbles of bop-shading-into-hard-bop angst underneath); while the hellhound may be on his trail, it sounds like Elmo's got all the time in the world.

This is a GREAT disc! And frankly, I need to listen to it more, so thank you for posting this, I'll pull it out now!

I was very happy that Blue Note decided to reissue this one, I had been looking for it for a while but only found people selling it on ebay for $35 or more.

Tim

Wish I had time just at the moment to write more...I've been spending a lot of time with this lately as well (as with a lot of Elmo Hope). It's wonderful stuff. Hope seems to me to be a true original. I think he suffers from being more susceptible than most to the 'half-way between Monk and Powell' categorisation. I think he should be regarded right there in the canon: certainly that branch of it which leads down from Hines, Wilson, and Tatum through Powell, Monk, Nicholls and Hill etc.

I enjoy his composing as well as his playing. Mirror Mind Rose from the Fox is *almost* prototypical Hill.

I look forwards to discussion on this. I'm on a BIG Elmo Hope kick just now.

Funny, this one's been on my mind of late, and I've been meaning to pull it out again... btw, how's the sound on the new reissue compared to the 1990s one? (That's the one I have.)

Don't know about the 90's issue, but this one sounds FANTASTIC. This was my first exposure to this music, and for my money, it's every bit as revelatory as Monk's GENIUS OF MODERN MUSIC.

This has become a recent favorite of mine. I only first heard it within the last year, so the music is still pretty new to me. Fantastic music. I agree. Elmo Hope is definitely up there with Bud Powell, Herbie Nichols, Thelonious Monk, and another recent discovery for me, Horace Silver Trio. I just can't enough of these guys' music.

This has become a recent favorite of mine. I only first heard it within the last year, so the music is still pretty new to me. Fantastic music. I agree. Elmo Hope is definitely up there with Bud Powell, Herbie Nichols, Thelonious Monk, and another recent discovery for me, Horace Silver Trio. I just can't enough of these guys' music.

If you like all of the above, you should check out Frank Hewitt. He was a disciple of Elmo's.

• 3 weeks later...

I was recently listening to the radio at work (well, the pandora music site) and I heard something that really caught my attention...something sounding familiar but unique. I opened the screen and it was a song from this CD. The first time I had ever heard anything from Elmo Hope...really wonderful stuff. I'm looking forward to picking up the trio/quintet CD.