"Hot Jazz on Blue Note" 4-CD set released in 1996

Bol

Another hearty endorsement for this set - especially at that price!

One note though, make sure to check each of the CDs. There was some sort of production flaw. And several of the sets had CDs with a "film" on the music side that looked faintly like the cover art - as if the CDs were stacked before the graphics were "dry". Anyway, the CDs wouldn't play all the way through. They skipped around like they were scratched.

I bought this set new shortly after it had gone OOP first from B&N... and then from Amazon. I returned about 5 copies - a couple to each vendor - before I got a good one.

I'll bet they sound great on that Silvertone!

Silvertone%20portable%20record%20player_jpg.jpg

:)

I want one of those!

Seriously, there's nothing quite like hearing a 78 on the equipment it was meant to be played on. A buddy of mine collects both the discs and the players. The sound is much better and more detailed than you might imagine from lousy LP and CD remasterings; sometimes astonishly so.

• 11 years later...

Picked up this set for $16 at Landlocked a year or two ago and finally got around to listening to it over the past few days... wow! :excited:  I already have some of it on other compilations, but it's a real treasure trove of music (I especially love the dates that involve a couple of Hoosiers, Big Sid Catlett and Sidney de Paris), and as Jazzbo noted, an amazing booklet, authored by Dan Morgenstern.  If you see this at a reasonable price, snap it up, even if it's not the kind of jazz you ordinarily dig... I all but guarantee that you will eventually!