The Best Breakfast is

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The breakfast I fantasize about and the one I actually eat are two completely different things- during the week it's tame and healthy, but on weekends my wife and I like to go out to one of many favorite b'fast hangs. Usually that's followed by me sitting in the "husband chair" at some women's shoe or clothing store.

Edited by Free For All

breakfast burrito

California burrito from Adilberto's on Rosecrans in San Diego...

Then throw back a six-pack and try to get across the Rosecrans' intersection. Can't tell you how many times I've almost be hit by touristas driving through that mess when I went to USD.

Edited by Matthew

Easily the most interesting thing about the replies so far is that I deliberately differentiated Canadian bacon from the American variety - because, let's face it, they are not even close to being of the same genre of pork smallgoods - and nobody bats an eyelid.  :wacko:

Very strange.

When did "American bacon" mutate to such a pronounced degree that it became its own species and quite different from what most folkses regard as bacon?

American bacon, you must be kidding, You can't beat a decently cured British bacon.

I didn't know there WAS a cure for British bacon...

(JUST KIDDING!)

There is - a couple of free-range eggs 'sunny side up', a wedge of fresh Northern black pudding, baked beans, freshly squeezed orange juice, a pot of fresh coffee, rack of toast (served with Frank Cooper's 'Oxford' thick orange marmalade) and a copy of the daily paper.

Now, back to the muesli and prunes ... ;)

Edited by sidewinder

Best breakfast? A tie between:

the Salvadorian breakfast special at Elsi's on Burnet Road in Austin (only available on weekends): two eggs any way (try 'em scrambled), a huge tamale (pork, chicken or poblano---the poblano rules), and the best refried beans in town (though you can have them a la charo or black beans as well, all good), and their tortillas (gotta have the corn y'all.)

the migas plate at Flores restaurant on Anderson (there are others at two other locations, I've never tried them): heavy on the serranos, lots of chese and really good tortilla bits, excellent potatoes and refried beans, get the corn tortillas here too).

The only drawback: though good, I don't think any restaurant really has the best coffee for breakfast. My cup of joe at home is better than them all: Ruta Maya medium roast prepared with a single cup filter.

I'm spoiled here in this town!

But those are weekend or holiday breakfasts. Mornings here I have a big bowl of Familia Crunchy Granola with WHOLE milk, a slice of whole wheat toast with butter and honey (local honey, helps with the allergies) and the aforementioned requisite mug of Ruta Maya.

Uncooked rolled oats in nonfat milk with a few raisins. Man, can't beat that for hearty. Actually, since going fully veg a few years back, I don't do the milk any more; but in this application, the substitutes just don't cut it, so I suffer.

An English breakfast would never have "chips" (french fries).

Kenny, both Canadian and U.S. "streaky" bacon stink compared with the "back" bacon available in the U.K., Europe, and the ex British colonies (Canada excluded). I don't have an online picture handy, but it has the "streaky" part plus a big, oval-shaped red part at one end, and the entire rasher is about 8" to 10" long. It is hard to beat if cured properly, which it usually isn't anymore. And you can't beat the smell of it cooking at a campfire!!

When I was living in Canada, I asked a butcher (and boy, are those rare!) to make up some English-style bacon. He said that he knew what it is, but it would cut into the part of the swine used for the porkchops, so he was not prepared to do it.

Kenny, both Canadian and U.S. "streaky" bacon stink compared with the "back" bacon available in the U.K., Europe, and the ex British colonies (Canada excluded). I don't have an online picture handy, but it has the "streaky" part plus a big, oval-shaped red part at one end, and the entire rasher is about 8" to 10" long. It is hard to beat if cured properly, which it usually isn't anymore. And you can't beat the smell of it cooking at a campfire!!

The best back bacon I ever ate was organic. The pigs had been hand-reared and allowed to forrage in the wild in some forest. The difference in the taste was just astonishing, compared with the mass-produced crap !

Edited by sidewinder