XM "Real Jazz" Ignores Jackie McLean

Over at xmfan.com there's a search engine that lets you find out how many times an artist's music has been played on any XM channel in the last few months. A search for Jackie McLean shows 8 tunes played on Sunday morning Feb 5. between 10:10 and 11:15 a.m. I assume that was a special profile show. After that there's "Nature Boy" on March 5 and "116th and Lenox" and "Frankenstein" on 4/4 and 4/5 respectively. In other words since the news of McLean's death this 24 hour all jazz station has played a grand total of 2 McLean cuts. In the same timer period (since Jackie's death) they've managed to play 9 Wynton tracks. Anybody who has spent any time listening to ""Real Jazz" can tell you that the DJ's (there only seem to be 2 of them, mostly on tape) have little or no knowledge of the music. The death of a giant like Jackie McLean doesn't cause them or the station to deviate from their tight playlist. All these guys do is tell you what has been played during each "set", which is worse than useless since the same information appears on the display screen of any XM radio. God forbid the programmersor DJs should set aside a few hours for Mr McLean's music during the week of his passing.

I sent an e-mail to them a few days ago asking that they do some sort of tribute to Jackie Mac. The next afternoon I happened to catch a Ben Sidran interview with JM on XM that they apparently played as a tribute. I'm not suggesting there's a connection between my e-mail and airing the interview, but I am suggesting you directly e-mail them. If enough people complain...

Anyway, I agree, one specially aired interview isn't enough by any stretch.

I sent an email, but it seems ridiculous that a jazz channel would need prodding by listeners in order to play McLean's music. Also If I thought it would do any good I'd email them to please stop playing some of those annoying between song promos like "Jazz so fresh, you can practically smell it." What the hell does that mean?

Not heard XM radio, but if these are programmed playlists there's no reason to assume that the songs and DJ patter are "live." As far as their computers go (and the DJs who simply announce which tunes were played) they may not yet be aware of Jackie's passing. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but one can hardly have a tribute if there's no method for "interrupting" normal programming...

I'd be willing to bet the music program you hear today was recorded a good two weeks ago. Formats like this cannot react quickly to a situation. They may have a Jackie Mac tribute in a week if you're lucky.

BTW, I've only heard XM in my father's car and what I heard didn't impress me. Sirius Radio on the other sounded pretty damn good the few times I've listened. If I were to choose a satellite service based only on Jazz programming, Sirius would be it.

I believe XM did a Jimmy Smith tribute the very next day after he passed, so they most definitely have that ability.

I have both XM and Sirius but will probably drop the XM subscription when it expires. Sirius seems to be moving way ahead as far as the quality of programming goes.