Jackie McLean live gig story area

For those of you who saw jackie in the day, did he perform primarily his new compsistions whicher those may be at the time one saw him, or did he also play his favorite standards. did he ever perform in concert compositions by his contemporaries that he never recorded on himself, eg blue bossa, etc etc?

The only gig I ever got a chance to attend was (I guess) Jackie's last in NYC. It was at Iridium with Bobby Hutcherson and Grachan Moncur III. Rene McLean and drummer Eric McPherson. I don't remember the bassist or pianist's names but they seemed to be fairly young cats. I remember standing out front before the show and a family of tourists walked by and asked what was downstairs. I told them, "Jackie McLean, One of the world's few living jazz saxophone legends. It's your lucky night. I know you don't know who he is...but take a chance and see him. You'll thank me." Of course they just walked away. Guess they had to eat at McDonalds. Since I flew in from Texas for it, I remember being blown away that there wasn't a line around the building. Naive on my part I guess, but New Yorkers and the rest of the world are a spoiled bunch.

I remember when they played "Love & Hate", I just kept thinking how lucky I was to be here witnessing this. I never could have imagined I would have heard that tune live by Jackie, Bobby and Grachan and it did not disappoint! The whole gig was really an eye-opener. Jackie stopped one tune because it didn't feel right to him and made them start again. I had NEVER seen that...that made so much sense, and it really drove home how serious, serious, serious Jackie Mac was about his music. A lesson to be learned by us all. He had such a powerful presence on stage. And I've never heard someone with such power blow a saxophone. I've heard guys like Bob Berg live, which is probably as close to a Coltrane-type sax as I've heard. But you could tell there is a huge gap between people like Jackie and everyone else. Intensity compressed like a diamond.

What a wonderful night. Talking with Jackie, Doll & Grachan....man oh man. I'll never forget it.

interesting and unfortunate to hear about the relatively poor turnout for that NYC gig - I will tell you, based on people I spoke to who were booking agents, and also based on my own experience (I booked a very large Jazz Fest in New Haven, Connecticut for a few years back in the 1990s) that Jackie was really a victim of mismanagement, and it's a damn shame, as he could have worked much more than he did. I wonder if, looking at this late gig, he suffered in these last years from the period if time - 1980s and 1990s - that should have been his prime performing years and during which he might have reached a new generation of audiences. But I know that he worked a fraction of the gigs he could have and would have with proper management -

Edited by AllenLowe

I saw Jackie in clubs many times and once in a concert that was a tribute to him at Lincoln Center - that was in the 90s- he, and others played a number of Jackie's classic compositions including "Appointment in Ghana". I should say that all of the other times I saw him live were in the 90s too.

For Lincoln Center - this was a great concert.

The most recent gigs were those at the Vanguard and it seemed he was showing up every December to play with the Cedar Walton Trio. If I remember correctly it was a mixture of standards and some of his tunes. These were marvelous gigs.

But I also saw him a few times in the mid 90s or so with Rene, his son, and a much younger band, when he had a flurry of new recordings out- Rhythm of the Earth or some such title like that. I was not crazy about this band and their material, but I always enjoyed his playing.

But I know that he worked a fraction of the gigs he could have and would have with proper management -

Would you care to elaborate on this, Allen?

I'm not looking to point the finger (and no names need be mentioned), but I'm currious about "good" vs. "bad" management issues, relative to Jackie -- or artists similarly managed poorly.

Was it simply an unwillingness to negotiate, and take lesser-paying gigs here and there, enough to justify a string of dates that would form a real "tour" (and thus the possibility of reduced expenses from driving/bussing from city to city) -- rather than just a series of one-off dates (which would presumably require airline costs)??

Did Jackie not have enough frequenty of gigs to justify having a working band? Or did he have to fly in his working band from all over the place, because they all had gigs elsewhere - because they had to eat, make rent, etc...

Maybe those were some of the issues, maybe not -- I'm just totally speculating.

Even speculation on the subject, Allen, from your perspective (or anyone elses) would be welcome.

well, I've been hesitant to get too deeply into this out of respect for his memory, but it is frustrating to hear, posthumously, stories of few gigs and poorly-attended gigs - the gist of it is that Jackie, when I was booking that festival - and I heard this confirmed by one of the largest bookers of jazz talent - was asking for much more money than he should have been asking (or, really, is manager was asking for too much) - it was unrealistic and as a result he worked a fraction of the gigs that he could have - as a matter of fact at one point he was picked up by Max Roach's agent, who dropped him a few months later in frustration - and Max was one of the highest paid jazz acts at the time, so this guy was not afraid to ask for real money -

Edited by AllenLowe

I saw Jackie twice. The first time, in the mid 1980's, he was performing with a band led by his son Rene. I wasn't particularly taken with the band, which included an elaborately costumed flamboyant African percussionist, but Jackie's playing was very intense, pinned me to the wall with every solo. For my money, Jackie was head and shoulders above everyone else on stage that night.

I saw him again in 1992, this time fronting a quartet that included Hotep Idris Galeta (piano), Nat Reeves (bass), and Eric McPherson (drums), if I remember correctly. Jackie's playing was stellar, once again, but the rhythm section was, at best, competent.

I've also heard the stories about Jackie's price being too high in the later years, but it's possible that he was occupied with his teaching gig and didn't really need the money, and therefore held out for the choicest gigs. It is a shame, I really wish he had come around more. I'd have been there! :cool:

Only saw him once: in 1993 at a Charlie Parker Festival in Tompkins Square.

Before the concert there was a dedication of Parker's home on Ave. B as a landmark. Standing on the stop were, Jackie Mac, Roy Haynes, Clark Terry, Jimmy Heath, Hank Jones and others including Kim Parker. They all gave a little talk standing on the stoop. This was about 2 hours before the show. All the musicans there were very, very happy to see Jackie; lots of hugs and smiles.

Jackie played with a band that had Roy Hargrove sitting in. They were wonderful!

Edited by marcello

Saw him a bunch of times and was always delighted. One time sticks in my mind for an extra-musical reason. In the late '70s he was in Chicago with a local rhythm section. At the end of the 2nd set Jackie took the mike and lectured the audience about taking Wilbur Campbell for granted 'cause he was local. He said "Wilbur is one of the originators and you MUST treasure him".

interesting and unfortunate to hear about the relatively poor turnout for that NYC gig - I will tell you, based on people I spoke to who were booking agents, and also based on my own experience (I booked a very large Jazz Fest in New Haven, Connecticut for a few years back in the 1990s) that Jackie was really a victim of mismanagement, and it's a damn shame, as he could have worked much more than he did. I wonder if, looking at this late gig, he suffered in these last years from the period if time - 1980s and 1990s - that should have been his prime performing years and during which he might have reached a new generation of audiences. But I know that he worked a fraction of the gigs he could have and would have with proper management -

I only got to see Jackie Mac play once which turned out to be his last show in Philly. It was at the Painted Bride back in '96 or '97. It was his first gig in Philly in YEARS. And he sold out both sets(that's would be around 400-500 people total). What was really amazing about that turnout was that it snowed over a foot that evening and getting around Philly was virtually impossible except by walking. The crowd loved him and he seemed to really have a good time on stage. I never understood why he never came back to town.

I can't remember what songs he played that night but I do remember something very funny that happened. During one of his solos Jackie hit a really nasty turd of a note. A serious bad clam. It just sounded so out of place with what came before it that the whole audience let out a collective gasp. At which point he waved his hands until the band stopped. He walked up to the mic and said something like,"What? You think Bird never hit a bad note? Sheee-it." Everyone laughed.

It was September '97, and Jay Mac brought his sextet (former students all) to the Gem Theater in Kansas City. In the first set, they played "'Round Midnight." In his cadenza at the end, Jackie suddenly stopped, raised his head and shouted, "Thank you, Thelonious, for the most beautiful ballad ever!" And finished the cadenza beautifully.

First time I heard Jackie McLean live was a major experience.

It happened while I visited New York in October 1967.

This was at Slug's. McLean led a quartet with Lamont Johnson on piano, Scotty Holt on bass and Rashied Ali on drums!

The club was crowded that night. Pretty dark inside but the musicians were on fire! McLean played several numbers that were on the BN dates that were released at the time.

I remember talking with Cecil Taylor and critic Robert Levin at the bar between sets!

Saw Jackie Mac live on just 2 occasions. The first was on a tour through Western Canada back in 1995/96 - by that time I'd given up hope of ever seeing him play (having mist a few high profile UK gigs in the 70s and 80s). Jackie brought his working band with Steve Davis, Rene, Alan Jay Palmer - in fact pretty well the band on the 'Fire and Hope' CD. The second occasion was at the Jazz Bakery in LA about 6 months later when he had a quartet with Cedar Walton, David Williams and Billy Higgins. Jackie kindly signed my flyer, as did the rest of the band.

The thing that stands out (in addition to his very dignified presence on stage - wearing suit and bow tie as I recall) is the slightly sharp tone on alto and very incisive attack. True to form, he didn't coast either and was still throwing in curve balls in his solos.

Edited by sidewinder

It was September '97, and Jay Mac brought his sextet (former students all) to the Gem Theater in Kansas City. In the first set, they played "'Round Midnight." In his cadenza at the end, Jackie suddenly stopped, raised his head and shouted, "Thank you, Thelonious, for the most beautiful ballad ever!" And finished the cadenza beautifully.

Thanks for bringing back a great memory, Joe. :) I was at this gig too (years before you and I met).

I only saw him once and unfortunately I don't remember the show that well after all these years. But it was the heyday of the Keystone Korner and they had an Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers reunion show. In the band that night (12/30/1979): Cedar Walton, Billy Harper, Curtis Fuller, Airto, Jackie McLean, Eddie Henderson.

I only saw him once and unfortunately I don't remember the show that well after all these years. But it was the heyday of the Keystone Korner and they had an Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers reunion show. In the band that night (12/30/1979): Cedar Walton, Billy Harper, Curtis Fuller, Airto, Jackie McLean, Eddie Henderson.

If that was a New Years Eve show, I have it on tape somewhere. I don't remember Jackie being on it though.

If that was a New Years Eve show, I have it on tape somewhere. I don't remember Jackie being on it though.

Being 12/30, that would be the night before New Years Eve.

Thanks for bringing back a great memory, Joe. :) I was at this gig too (years before you and I met).

I was at that concert too and remember that Jackie played wonderfully.

I saw Jackie in Kansas City right after Mayor Cleaver had used City funds to purchase Charlie Parker's white plastic alto saxophone, to be used as an exhibit for the planned Jazz Museum at 18th and Vine, which had not been built yet. Jackie, Richard Davis, and Max Roach played a few songs during an indoor function about the project. I remember that Max Roach played with a lot of energy, and Jackie played quite well. Then Jackie was asked to play the white plastic alto sax. He said that the sax was in poor condition and really needed to be repaired and restored. He said that he was not confident that he could play it, in its poor condition. Then the trio played another piece and Jackie played the white plastic alto sax. I could not tell any difference from when he was playing his own horn. There was a slight difference in sound, but no drop off in quality.

A short time later Paquito D'Rivera played that white plastic alto saxophone at an outdoor festival at 18th and Vine. I remember that the Mayor said from the stage that he could not understand why many people felt that the Jazz Museum would never get built, and that he had bulldozers driving around near the festival grounds to convince everyone that the project would get built. (I remember that David Murray also played at that outdoor festival with Andrew Cyrille). Anyway, to my knowledge those were the two times that Charlie Parker's white plastic alto saxophone was played in public after it was purchased by the City. It is now on exhibit at the Jazz Museum.

It's been great reading these memories of Jackie. I got to see him about seven times, and every one was a treasure.

I also wish Jackie had been more out there in the last 15 years (on record as well as in person), but I feel it is too early to discuss this.

I attended the funeral Friday (I guess I was the only organissimo person there). It was a very moving experience. I will post longer on this when I can get my thoughts collected - I don't want to rush it.

Bertrand.