Sco & Eddie

For me, way way good fortune has arrived. Sco in the Bay Area with Stewart and Irwin ... plus Eddie Henderson, one of true originals and one of the last living legends of his generation on the instrument.

Last time Sco was here with other jazz heavyweights (DeJohnnette, Holland, Goldings in the Tony Williams tribute) , people were driving in from Portland, L.A. ... that I know of ...... probably all up/down the California coast.

Sco did not disappoint. Coming out of his venture into jam band territory , with a group of jazz legends smoking with inter-communication and an audience oozing anticipation , Sco caught fire like I've never heard him. Not to take anything away from anyone else on stage, but John was truly inspired and you could feel the near uncontainable nature of the explosions of ideas and grooves sonically blasting out his mind and soul. I heard a lot of "audibles" in the audience. People were simply blown away. It was the best music I'd heard in 10 years, easy.

Probably too ambitious ... but one can still hope for the same next week.

All of these shows will probably sell out soon.

Of course you got the problem that Yoshis is the most boring place on earth when the music ends, but we figured how to solve that one. Just leave quick and head someplace where it's happenning.

Edited by johnagrandy

Check out this place!!!

Wow. I've never even heard of that place. Must be one of the oldest still existing saloons in America.

Is it any good ?

I would rather be ashes than dust !

I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dryrot.

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.

I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.

I shall use my time.

Makes me want to get back on a motorcycle again.

Eddie Henderson, one of true originals and one of the last living legends of his generation on the instrument.

Isn't calling Eddie Henderson a "true original" a bit over the top?

Guy

Not in my opinion. I think Eddie is one of the true giants of the trumpet, and I can recognize his sound in about 2 notes. That's my definition of an original. And harmonically, he's at the top of the heap.

If you haven't seen him play recently, do yourself a favor and do what you must to see him. His control of the horn and knowledge of the music is astounding.

Sure wish they were bringing this show to the NW!

Eddie Henderson, one of true originals and one of the last living legends of his generation on the instrument.

Isn't calling Eddie Henderson a "true original" a bit over the top?

Guy

Well practically everyone on these forums at one time or another has characterized what I have to say as "over the top" ... so what does it matter?

Check out my new site http://www.overthetop.com ....

To my ears Henderson has always played different. There's a well known trumpet genealogy tree I can't locate right now and the guy placed Eddie in the Miles branch (not the Fats branch) along with Roney and I forget. I hear some Miles stylizations in Henderson, but his raw musical ideas ... I find them to be rather original. The guy's a PhD shrink so doesn't surprise me he has a different angle. I remember when I first heard him on the radio twenty something years ago. I was thinking "this guy's out of someplace else".

No doubt will be interesting to hear him with Sco. Sco can play well with most anyone ... but I'm hoping for some serious chemicals.

I'm hoping for some serious chemicals.

When you find them, I hope you'll share...

:eye:

I was checkin' out your website and saw that photo in the snow. That's a tough gig for a horn player !

I remember I saw Maynard way way back play at a college football game in the snow. He was missing notes bad. Imagine ... Maynard missing notes. Ouch. It was not pretty.

Yeah John, I like it. It gets kinda funky on weekends, its small and it gets PACKED. I went in there and was watching an A's game, and about 40 minutes after the game was over the place was jam packed with A's fans.

If that gets to be too much, waddle over to the Everett and Jones BBQ and get some meat stuck to your ribs!!!

Those of you in L.A. don't want to miss this. Sco at the top of his game.

A mix of the The Older and The Newer. Some bop & Miles, suiting Eddie quite well (and looking quite well for 60 ! ).

Sco caught fire on "Do Like Eddie" (from "Hand Jive") ... the hi lite of the nite for a harcord Sco-o-phile as in me self. Alternate realities grip hold.

But check it out ... Bill Stewart stole the show. He manipulates that basic kit from all directions, angles, dimensions, spaces, layers, partitions ... denormalizing and refactoring it into a new instrument. The man is where it's at in skins today.

Also notable, "Polo Towers" from "Uberjam" ... with Eddie doing a trippy Miles bit ... but no improv from Sco. Huh ? Guess John didn't bring all the effects and pedals. Bummer.

Hey was that Dave Chappelle in the audience ? Who else would call out "Budo" as something else entirely .... ha ha ha !