Looking for opinions on these recordings...

webbcity

Like the subject says, these are some LPs/CDs I'm looking for some opinions on before I plunk down any $$$. Have you heard any of these? A couple of them are fairly obscure...I haven't found anything on either the Joe Masters "Jazz Mass" or the Dwight Dickerson LP.

Joe Masters- Jazz Mass (Columbia)

Dwight Dickerson- Sooner or Later (Discovery)

Robin Kenyatta- Beggars & Stealers (Muse)

Dewey Redman- Tarik

Art Ensemble- Reese & The Smooth Ones

Thanks!!

Tim

The Redman is a keeper. I like his The Ear of the Behearer even better, but Tarik is a nice complement to that album. Fine Ed Blackwell on it as well.

Thanks, I will check it out, and the other one you mentioned too. Tarik caught my eye because of Blackwell and Malachi Favors, and also because of the price (6.99)!

As for Kenyatta, I've always dug his Free State Band LP on America, which was reissued by Musidisc (not part of the recent "Free America" series). Others of his discography haven't held up as well as that one, though his tone and phrasing - especially in the '60s - really hit hard. Great player (God rest his soul) and too underrated!

I'll second the recommendations for 'Tarik' and 'Reese,' although (again) 'Ear of the Behearer' is probably the Redman to get. 'Tarik' is generally in the late-60's pianoless 'free' mode, although Redman's idiosyncrasies shine through at various points (the last number--can't recall the name--is 'sound exploration' of the sort the leader would later excel in)--it's among the 'less generic' of the BYGs. 'Reese', however, is prime Art Ensemble--funny, powerful, honest, and consistently interesting. Adjectives don't do it justice.