What's the deal with Black Lion?

webbcity

Is it just me? I've bought probably 4 or 5 Black Lion CDs and most of them seem to have problems...

On their release of Stanley Cowell's "Brilliant Circles," one of the channels is about 1/3rd the volume of the other and the EQ is very dull. And because of the way the album was mixed, that means it's tough to hear some of the instruments. This sounds like it was dubbed off a bad tape deck.

Cowell's "Travelin' Man" (aka "Blue for the Viet Cong") sounds OK, but again, I think the channels are slightly out of whack causing the drums to be overpowering on a couple of tunes. Is this the case with the original?

I've also heard some other oddities, including a Tete Montoliu release on Black Lion that had digital glitches & skips all the way through it.

The thing is, you can usually find Black Lion CDs for pretty cheap, and I want to consider purchasing their disc of the Art Ensemble of Chicago's "Tutankhamun"...but I'm feeling a little wary about that. Any thoughts?

Tim

I think you got a couple of "clinkers". Black Lion was a great label.

It WAS maybe a great label but most of the reeditions they done are terrible.

Lot of CD are just taken from LP.

Why they didn't use the masters? Where are these masters today? No idea.

Do you know something about, Chuck?

Edited by P.L.M

recently, i've been enjoying the 24bit remasters of some great black lion titles that were reissued on the 1201 music label a few years ago. many of these reissues are available from cybermusicsurplus.com, the clearance site for music distributed by allegro. currently, they cost only $5.50 each, with free shipping on orders over $50. here are some of the titles they have:

stitt, sonny - autumn in new york

gordon, dexter - body and soul

chaloff, serge - fable of mable

webster, ben - gone with the wind

sun ra janus

konitz, lee - lee konitz at storyville

pettiford, oscar - montmartre blues

sims, zoot/brookmeyer, bob - morning fun

byas, don - night in tunisia, a

gray, wardell - one for prez

smith, willie "the lion" - pork and beans

green, grant - reaching out

brand, dollar - reflections

bechet, sidney - sidney bechet at storyville

sun ra - standards

grappelli, stephane - stardust

art ensemble of chicago - the spiritual

webster, ben - there is no greater love

hines, earl - tour de force

90432.gif90252.gif90102.gif

Edited by jazzshrink

• 4 months later...

I've been reinvestigating this reissue label a lot recently. Some discs sound great, some don't, lots are remastered from vinyl. Still, the quality of music overall is quite high.

I agree with Hans — I prefer the original cd issues over the newer 24-bit reissues. The latter often sound overly scrubbed to me.

I'm still trying to find Mal Waldron's Blues for Lady Day. Any leads?

Oh yeah — Randy Weston's Berkshire Blues is wonderful ...

Noise reduction has been applied to some of those 1201 Music reissues to such an extent that they sound lifeless and very dull to me. I prefer the earlier Black Lion releases.

Thanks for the warning - the same happened to the recent remastering of "Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus" on Candid that Black Lion manufactured :rolleyes:

Yep, those new Candids don't sound as good (to me) as the original cd issues — especially some of the Cecil Taylors. I'd still buy copies of the Richard Williams and Don Ellis Candids though ... can't find those!

Anyone else like the Dollar Brand Black Lions? The Penguin Guide is generally unenthusiastic about them. I think they're pretty fine. Love Reflections.