Benny Goodman Quartet recommendations?

webbcity

Never thought I would be interested in Benny Goodman (and please don't take that as a slam if you're a Benny Goodman fan, I'm just trying to open my mind a little here...), but I recently saw old footage of Benny Goodman's Quartet with Lionel Hampton, Teddy Wilson, and Gene Krupa and was completely blown away.

It seems to me that this stuff has been issued in many different forms...where is the best place to start? I found this recording: Original Benny Goodman Trio and Quartet Sessions, Vol. 1: After You've Gone on RCA/Bluebird, which looks great, but I want to be sure I'm not missing something...is there a better one to start with? I'm sure someone here will know a lot more about this than I do.

Thanks,

Tim

I second the recommendation. I've known these sides for years from earlier LP reissues, but the sound on this set is amazing! And the music is timeless......

Another :tup for this set. wonderful!!!

Man, I really took offense at the Benny crack!

Okay, just kidding. :g There's lots of great Goodman to hear. The three RCA set is the way to go for this Quartet (well, not strictly true, but yeah!) stuff. And there are other small group Goodman material to check out. You really owe it to yourself to hear the material with Charlie Christian.

Great compilation.

One more recommendation from me (although some people might groan).

Lionel Hampton and Oscar Peterson: The Complete Quartets & Quintets

http://tinyurl.com/r7oek

If you like small groups stuff, these disks can swing your socks off.

Just sayin' ...

A bit expensive on Amazon, but the set is often available on eBay (or was) for anywhere between $30 and $50.

Along with the Goodman small groups stuff, this 5-disc set is at the very top of my list. We did, as far as I recall, have a very good small groups recommendations thread around here which convinced me to buy most of the recordings recommended there. I haven't regretted a single purchase.

Or the Lionel Hampton small groups Victor sessions.

My list is a mile or two long ...

Of course, if you have a turntable, you could look for the Time/Life 3-LP Giants of Jazz box for Benny Goodman. I've been seeing it in used bins for dirt cheap. Excellent selection of both big band and small group Benny, and wonderful transfers from 78 to 33 1/3.

Edited by BruceH

"Moonglow" from that 3 CD set is one of the highlights of Western civilization.

Thanks for the reminder! I pulled out the 3CD set tonight and cued up 'Moonglow'--wonderful.

I had forgotten, incidentally, how good the sound is, generally, on the RCA set. Krupa's bass drum comes through very clearly.

• 1 year later...

This 3 disc RCA set is wonderful.

d30251n1hx9.jpg

The image didn't come through for me...is it this one? (see below)

That's the one.

Jazz Loft is having a sale this week that includes the Definitive 2-disc edition of these sides, whcih does not seem to include the 20 alternate takes from the RCA version.

http://ssl.adhost.com/jazzloft/baskets/pos.cfm?cd=9972

The RCA version seems to be out of print, with some used copies available, starting at $42.00 on Amazon at least.

So I'm considering the Definitive. Does anyone have the Definitive edition? Are there really excellent notes on the RCA version? How essential are the alternates? I'm not one who needs alts generally.

The RCA set has a 40 page booklet with extensive notes by Loren Schoenberg and some nice photos. The Definitives I've seen have "generic notes". I can't respond to your general aversion to alternates. They probably "copped" the RCA mastering and twiddled with it a bit. Good luck.

The RCA set has a 40 page booklet with extensive notes by Loren Schoenberg and some nice photos. The Definitives I've seen have "generic notes". I can't respond to your general aversion to alternates. They probably "copped" the RCA mastering and twiddled with it a bit. Good luck.

Thank you for the input Chuck. I also would prefer to buy the original instead of a rip-off label. Isn't this a perfect example of a problem of the day? In-print affordable rip-off label vs OOP more expensive real label? Sigh. It's been on my "to get" list for years.

It's been on my "to get" list for years.

So you should have moved earlier and then maybe the real set would be still in print and you wouldn't have to buy from scavengers. :)

The real problem is people with the money "hold back" for a deal.

Now reward someone else. :cool:

:-)

No, I just prioritized the Carnegie Hall and Capitol Trios over this.

The original quartet reunited a few times over the years:

- for the "Benny Goodman Story", a dumb film with great music.

- and, a fabulous session recorded for RCA in 1963. The band is in great form, and the sound is fantastic.

The name of that 1963 session is TOGETHER AGAIN, and it swings all sorts of wonderfully! :tup

I don't have "Together Again", but the "Capitol Trios" CD is another wonderful set - not the same band, but more great music in a similar style. "B.G. in Hi-Fi" is another good Capitol CD with both small group and big band music (but again none by the original trio/quartet, I think).

Thanks to never's again and again recommending that one, I finally jumped ahead and ordered a copy of the Peterson/Hamp box (from newbury comics via amazon.com marketplace - I hope they come through, never ordered from them).