Miles Davis - The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions

Have only listened to Disc 4 so far, and I can live with the audio quality just fine--it's Steve Allen's introduction and comments that drive me to the point of screaming excruciation. Or something like that.

I'm on the fourth disc and that commentary drives me nuts. I guess that drivel passed for interesting with the Eisenhower crowd. I'm sure Miles wanted to kill him.

Back in those days The Tonight Show was live; and it was low key, assuming that everyone watching was near his bedtime and winding down.

Nowadays Leno and Letterman are keyed up as if they're on during prime time hours.

What I also found funny was the crowd cheering wildly. Guess they had those applause signs on.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked this last week and am really digging it. I only had one of the albums included here, so it was a very attractive release right from the start. I checked out the disc 4 stuff and find the Steve Allen stuff pretty amusing. I'd like to have been there to see the look on the faces of the everyone when he could not figure out that Cotrane was on tenor.

Have to say that I LOVE the packaging. With a list of $60 or $15 per disc (I paid $41 at CDU) I just feel that from a packaging perspective I am getting SO much more than I get from Mosaic and their Selects. They are about the same $$$ per disc and the crappy outer box on the Selects really cheapens the look of the product, IMO. I have to wonder how much the cost of leasing the music figures into the ability to package something attractively.

All that said, I know it's all about the music and have every Select released thus far - with the two most recent releases on the way. Just wish Mosaic had packaged the Selects differently.

...I just feel that from a packaging perspective I am getting SO much more than I get from Mosaic and their Selects. They are about the same $$$ per disc and the crappy outer box on the Selects really cheapens the look of the product, IMO. I have to wonder how much the cost of leasing the music figures into the ability to package something attractively.

...Just wish Mosaic had packaged the Selects differently.

Glad to hear the packaging is nice on this set as I'm still waiting for mine. I have to agree about the Mosaic Select sets. I just got my first a few days ago (Randy Weston is great!), and the outer box is flimsy and thin. I find this strange seeing as Mosaic Select sets are numbered and supposed to be collectable...I wonder what mine will look like in 20 years...

Mosaic would be smart to look at what Proper Records is doing with their sets (they have sturdier outer boxes). Of course, I doubt Proper is paying anything to lease the music on their sets...

I'm also disappointed that some of the music (the last session) on the Randy Weston set is a quarter tone off or so. I guess Mosaic doesn't realize that some of us musicians actually learn tunes off records and it would be nice to have the music at the pitch the musicians intended. Proper has some tunning issues also but I wouldn't have expected this from a major jazz reissue company like Mosaic.

and the outer box is flimsy and thin. I find this strange seeing as Mosaic Select sets are numbered and supposed to be collectable...I wonder what mine will look like in 20 years...

Too true. In 20 years time they'll look like spent Doublemint chewing gum wrappers while the well manufactured Japanese boxes for sets like Garland '@Prelude' and Miles '@Blackhawk' will be fine.

Hi!

This is a great set!

Found it in a used CD-shop for $45. Looked like new and I don´t think anyone has played the CDs :D

The sound is fine on the first 3 discs. I have yet to play CD no4 so I cannot comment on the music or sound quality.....

/Shaft

• 1 month later...

I noticed the tracklisting has a studio version of Round Midnight. Has this been released before? I dont see it on any of the "_____in'" releases I have. It cant be the columbia version can it?

It was issued in the Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants record.

Thanks!

Of course, on further review, I apparently have "miles davis and the modern jazz giants - bags groove' and not 'miles davis - the modern jazz giants'

do you know why it was never included on one of the regular quintet records?

Finished listening to the set last week and yes I concur... the Steve Allen comments were woefully embarrassing...

The irony is.. wasn't Steve Allen (back then) supposed to be one of few people on TV that were knowledgeable about jazz??? :blink::blink::blink: His commentary is really bad...

BUT... Disc 4 is great.... I had Discs 1-3 but traded them in and got the set... It's a very nice addition...

On a related note...

Anybody (other than me) getting the 16CD Coltrane Set on Prestige for the absurd price of $69.99???? :excited::excited::excited::excited:

http://store.concordmusicgroup.com/mm5/mer...LL-SETS&Offset=

At $4 a CD it's impossible (for me) to pass up... and I read somewhere that this is going OOP (and that's why they are getting rid of the set for such a ridiculous price....

On a related note...

Anybody (other than me) getting the 16CD Coltrane Set on Prestige for the absurd price of $69.99???? :excited::excited::excited::excited:

No Dude--you're the only one in the world. Which is lucky for you, 'cause I understand that they only had one set to sell. :w