JSngry

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

So when I signed up to get the Alternate Routes CD last summer, I wasn't sure if that level included any Nexus downloads. Just checked my account, and lo - a boatload of tracks waiting to be enjoyed. :rlol

I haven't gotten past "Epiphany". I've listened to it three times now. That chorus kills me. She has such a knack for them. And the bassline - hell yeah. It's all here in this one tune - everything I love about her. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Any further impressions/thoughts on Monday's Nexus? How does it compare to her other projects?

In addition to this, I'm thinking about some ArtistShare items (including remaster of Maria Schneider's long OOP Coming About--get it autographed if you order by November 24). Maria encourages the Hall/Frisell project. Geoff Keezer's looks interesting.

The songs on Nexus are mostly good-to-very good, with one or two "heavyweights" in the mix. The production is quite sparse/minimal this time time around due to budget constraints, but if you didn't know that, your impression might well be that it was an artistic choice, that's how well done it is. And once or twice (in particular, "Sometimes"), it would be hard to imagine the song done any other way.

Either way, her drum programming continues to amaze it it's flexible, liquid feel. this is how it should be done!

All in all, a very good album. Not one I'd put in my "starter pile" necessarily, but one in the "get after you get these" pile.

OTOH, her & husband Alex Sipiagin put together a "duet" (lots of overdubbing, but just the two of them) version of "As" for a Japan-only Stevie Wonder tribute album that is as good as anything that either one of them has ever done. Monday pretty much re-everythings the tune & makes it better than Stevie's version, imo. It becomes some more of that "omnimusic" of hers that I've spoken about in the past, everything good from disparate sources rolled into one organic whole. This one would be on the "starter pile" save for it being one cut on a pricey, difficult to find import Various Artists CD of widely varying quality. But if you can find it (and afford it), this is it, and Monday's worth the cost of admission all by herself, imo:

zzgrandgallerypresent_101b.jpg

The "You Make Me" video is back after having been removed for "copyright reasons".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S7bciPeWS4Y

If anybody can rip this... :w :w :w

Great suggestion! Result: "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."

Thanks a lot for the dead link. :angry:

Hey, life's a bitch and then you die. Get used to it.

Either that or look to see if it's been reposted...

New PV from NEXUS!!

It's been over 8 years since I've had a promo video, but the Japanese label Knife's Edge has graciously allowed me to make one from the lead cut for the Japanese market, "Sands of Time." After 2 days of filming in Manhattan, it reminds me a little at times of the opening to a 70s show I used to watch as a kid starring Mary Tyler Moore. A laid back and fun video that I hope will make you smile :-)

Pure Pop, and if that has no benefit for your personal plumbing, then avoid at all costs. Me, it makes me laugh and smile and want to do good.

So I'm a sucker. Sue me.

Now, on the "artsier" side musically, here we go with a good'un, "Heal" from Episodes In Color:

No video whatsoever, so don't even bother watching, just lsiten. But take the Jamal Poinciana beat, add lyrics of a simple-but-profound about the power of love, add some fine Alex Sipiagin trumpet and some outstanding Dave Kikoski, and hey, I'm there, put it on my radio and keep it there, please.

• 2 months later...

I find it really hard to believe that she can't get her records released over her somehow. Sure, she doesn't fit into the neatly little stylistic "pockets" that U.S. record labels like to shoehorn artists into...but you'd think somebody could figure out a way to promote her music.

The single disc was the German version, I think. Ut's fine, but the 2 disc is "as intended" and really does have a better flow, and ultimately, im[act.

All things considered, CD Japan is probably your best shot for Monday's Japanese works. Prices are reasonable, and shipping is good, especially iusong the "2nd best" option, whatever its called. Using the top of the line shipping is really good, but pricey. Unfortunately a lot of her best stuff is curently OOP (but in Japan things come and go OOP back and forth over the years). Here's what they currently have: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code_ba...=&key=16565

In the meantoime, go ahead and get ROUTES, either from her website or from Japan (there's a bonus cut added there, but it's available as a download domestically), That's a killer side too.

• 4 months later...

Check out husband Alex Sipaigin's take on Monday's "Sketches Of Myself" (from his own album Out of the Circle) on Monday's MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/mondaymichirumusic Last tune on the player...

I still prefer Monday's original (the closing tune on the Japanese version of Routes), it's more orgaic in arrangement, but this version shows the room for these songs to move outside of their original realm as vehicles for new and varied presentations of something fresh and vital.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...