Monday Michiru Corner

JSngry

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool. I like the redbook resolution and the booklet photos though!

I just got mine today, and my booklet doesn't have any photos other than on the cover!?!?!

But the "special thanks" section of the notes held a most unexpected surprise...

Cool. I like the redbook resolution and the booklet photos though!

I just got mine today, and my booklet doesn't have any photos other than on the cover!?!?!

But the "special thanks" section of the notes held a most unexpected surprise...

Do tell!

True, no photos in my booklet either, but I wouldn't want to be without the glossy cover and the inner tray photo.

Nice special thanks to Jim Sangrey for "song ideas." Jim should be thanked repeatedly for all his effort in distributing knowledge of Monday and her music.

Nice special thanks to Jim Sangrey for "song ideas."

Yeah, and that's a bit of a surprise, really, considering what it involves...last summer, I stumbled across this really fine album from the 70s, Dreams of Tomorrow by Marilyn Scott. Great jazz/pop album. totally of its time in terms of how everything is just being mixed together w/o regard to what "should be", just...if it sounds good, do it, that type thing. And the lyrics are very "positive", at times "spiritual". Pretty strong stuff, really, and it put me very strongly in mind of Monday's trip. So I asked her if she was influenced at all by Marilyn Scott, and she comes back with a "WHO?" so I sent her some clips and she comes back all "OMG!!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!! THIS IS IT!!!"

Apparently there was one club DJ in Japan back when she lived there who played this album pretty regularly, and Monday says that she tried repeatedly to get him to tell her what it was, but w/no success. I guess it was like a "trade secret" for DJs if they copped some cool obscure American shit...rare grooves indeed!

Well, anyway, when I found out how much that album had meant to her and how excited she was to reconnect with it, I told her I was going to order one for her from Amazon & she comes back no, no need to, I've just ordered it myself. This is all in the space of, like ten minutes worth of email exchanges, from getting the clips to the OMGs to her ordering the CD. I mean, she was really excited about finding this kind of "lost gem", something that she was always taken by but never knew the identity of, and then lost track of. After she got the album, I got a whole series of emails from the time when she was first playing it. It really excited her, and I can understand why, it's a really really fine album, and the two of them d seem to be vry kindred spirits musically and philosophically, so if you like Monday, I'd also suggest this Marilyn Scott album too, it's readily available these days.

The songlist for Don't Disturb This Groove was pretty much set, but Monday made room for, and took the time to learn/arrange "Dreams Of Tomorrow" (not an easy song, btw, not at all) for inclusion on the album. Well, here it is, and now all of a sudden I'm being thanked for "song ideas", when hell, all I did was ask a question and send some clips. It was a happy accident that I was in the middle of. But I'll tell you what - Monday's is such a beautiful spirit that she went ahead and gave a shoutout anyway. Don't know that I deserve it, but I do appreciate it!

As for Don't Disturb This Groove itself, I've only had two full listens to it, and I think it's pretty nifty, a lot more fully realized than her last covers album (the production is less rough, and she's in better voice, plus, I just like the song selection better). As with that album, nothing is taken at face value, changes are made and chances are taken, and the result is a collection of mostly not-too-familiar-songs revamped and revitalized, all of it pretty damn good, and in moments such as the re-imagining of "No Woman No Cry" as a slow, quiet, almost gospel-y moment of meditation,some moments of transcendence that equal that of her original music.

Monday Michiru is one of the few truly original people in popular music today, and projects like this - an album of covers produced by a small, "boutique" Japanese label - are the opportunities she gets in today's marketplace. That she uses them to still twist, turn, and tweak all commercial expectations rather than succumb to & glorify them is but one reason why she's on my list of Truly Quality People.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Available for pre-order at Dusty Groove: http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=wz7ryfd9hj&ref=browse.php&refQ=kwfilter%3Dmonday%2Bmichiru%26amp%3Bx%3D10%26amp%3By%3D10%26amp%3Bincl_oos%3D1%26amp%3Bincl_cs%3D1

Soulception, for the American(!) Adventure Records label.

I'm told that it's an acoustic record, mostly vocals w/just guitar (Adam Rogers) & bass (Boris Kozlov), although with occasional drums (Nate Smith) added. Guest appearances by Alex Sipiagin, Gil Goldstein, and Ed Motta :excited:

Exciting news is that it's a program of mostly originals, and that Monday herself is excited that she feels that she's finding new things compositionally, that she's growing into some new areas, finding tangibility in what had to now been abstracted colors.

Bring it on!

And on the fashion front: http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fabulous-fashion/fab-at-every-age-contest-winners-2012#slide-3

Available for pre-order at Dusty Groove: http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=wz7ryfd9hj&ref=browse.php&refQ=kwfilter%3Dmonday%2Bmichiru%26amp%3Bx%3D10%26amp%3By%3D10%26amp%3Bincl_oos%3D1%26amp%3Bincl_cs%3D1

Soulception, for the American(!) Adventure Records label.

I'm told that it's an acoustic record, mostly vocals w/just guitar (Adam Rogers) & bass (Boris Kozlov), although with occasional drums (Nate Smith) added. Guest appearances by Alex Sipiagin, Gil Goldstein, and Ed Motta :excited:

Exciting news is that it's a program of mostly originals, and that Monday herself is excited that she feels that she's finding new things compositionally, that she's growing into some new areas, finding tangibility in what had to now been abstracted colors.

Bring it on!

And on the fashion front: http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fabulous-fashion/fab-at-every-age-contest-winners-2012#slide-3

Thanks for the heads up. Ed Motta!

• 9 months later...

This inexpensive (17 dollars) 3 cd overview of the Adventure Music label is chock full of interesting tunes. Da Bastids say:

A loving look at the Adventure Music label – served up in a 3CD set that offers a heck of a lot of great music for a very low price, all hand-picked by the lovely Monday Michiru! Adventure's been one of the best sources for Brazilian music and acoustic sounds for the past decade – a label with a really strong dedication to a few sorts of styles – like some of the best mixes of jazz, bossa, and choro modes recorded in Brazil – or the wonderful post-folk acoustic underground that's risen up in the US. The package really spans the full scope of the label's music – and offers up a whopping 44 tracks in all – all to introduce you to their efforts. Our hat's off to Monday for the track selection – and the package features work by Hamilton De Holanda, Ricardo Silveira, Daniel Santiago, Muiza Adnet, Mike Marshall, Jovino Santos Neto, Moacir Santos, Antonio Arnedo, Maria Marquez, Clarice Assad, Tom Lellis, Eva Scow, Gui Mallon, Toninho Horta, Florencia Ruiz, Alex Hargreaves, Philippe Baden Powell, and others! © 1996-2013, Dusty Groove, Inc.

zzadventuremusic10yea_101b.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...