Monday Michiru Corner

JSngry

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gave it some listens today. A kick-in-the-ass reminder that good dance music works like nothing else.

I wish my knees still worked. But then I'd have been dancing instead of working, and then would get fired, kinda like the Direct TV ads, only in real life.

So, thankful for poor joint health, thankful for Monday Michiru, thankful for top-shelf remixers.

Happy thanksgiving, y'all!

• 4 months later...

http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/-/Artist/A025139.html

MONDAY MICHIRU & TOSHIKO AKIYOSI

JAZZ CONVERSATIONS

アルバム / VICJ-61740

¥2,800+税

Victor

ロング・イエロー・ロード

LONG YELLOW ROAD

ファースト・ナイト

FIRST NIGHT

ラヴ・アンド・ライフ

LOVE AND LIFE

ワーニング:サクセス・メイ・ビー・ハザダス・トゥ・ユア・ヘルス

WARNING:SUCCESS MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH

ニュー・ガール・イン・タウン

NEW GIRL IN TOWN (WHERE ARE WE?)

ブロークン・ドリームス

BROKEN DREAMS

ドリーミング

DREAMING

エイント・ゴナ・アスク・ノー・モア

AIN'T GONNA ASK NO MORE

フロッグ

FROG

ワン・ノート・サンバ

ONE NOTE SAMBA

秋吉敏子 (p), Monday満ちる (vo,fl), ポール・ギル (b), マーク・テイラー (ds)

• 1 month later...

So why not go see her? She's never going to play in Dallas. There's lots of competition among airlines at present on flights between New York and Dallas--Southwest flies direct to Laguardia from Love, and of course American from DFW. Right now you could get a Southwest flight in August for about $300 per person.

Edited by kh1958

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Goin' fullcore Cuzzin Linne...ROUND UP THE POSSE:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Monday-Michiru/35770252364

Dear friends in Manhattan -- This is a long shot but funnier things have happened through social media so here goes: Yesterday (12/11), after spending the night at my folks' on West 94th between CPW and Columbus, I crossed the street to my car to discover the front window broken and two bags filled with my computer, iPad and a bunch of documents gone. Let's bypass the Monday-what-were-you-thinking-leaving-your-electronics-in-a-parked-car--on-the-streets-of-New-York (I know...). My heartbreak lies in the documents for amongst the flute books, a Haruki Murakami novel and a bunch of bills (the latter I was happy to see go...) were pages of handwritten music on staff paper. They are over 2 years of sketches, some finished compositions and arrangements, things that have no value to anyone but me that I had painstakingly been working on for upcoming recordings and performances. It was suggested I post this because maybe...just maybe...someone may see the bags they were in or even the papers themselves on the garbage cans on the streets, strewn somewhere...The bags are as follows: brown leather tote bag from Barney's, and the second bag a denim tote bag with Tokyo Crossover Jazz printed on it.

Again, it's a long shot...but here it is. I would not be doing this if not for how heartbroken I am and I can't just give up and let the thieves win. This has been a trying year for me, a lot of personal struggles, and I could really use a bright spot. Please feel free to share this with your NYer friends and maybe, just maybe...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

michir_mond_portraits_101b.jpg

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/792825

A wonderful portrait of Monday Michiru – one of our favorite singers of the past 20 years – equally well-versed in jazz, soul, and Brazilian modes – all of which come together on this collection of very well-chosen and overlooked tracks! The special 2CD package brings together music from some of Monday's smaller label and under-distributed titles – including a number of import-only selections, a few collaborations with other artists, and a really wonderful array of tunes that show just how much Michiriu has grown since she first started out! Monday hit some great fame in the mid 90s in Japan – but during recent years, she's been living in the US mostly, and really working on her craft away from the limelight – opening up with expressive jazz inflections that rival some of her best inspirations of previous decades, while still holding onto the richly soulful power that brought her some strong early attention. If you've missed hearing Monday at all, this set is a great introduction – and even if you've followed her as closely as we have, we'll bet that there's some tracks here you might not have in your collection. 23 tracks in all – including "Dreams Of Tomorrow", "Mi Vida", "Sometimes", "One (Alter Ego version)", "Generations", "Epiphany", "Aldeia De Ogum", "Nexus Interlude", "Hung Up", "Genetic Imprints", "Just Be Good To Me", "No Matter What", "Belle O Byron Bay (Bluey mix)", "No Answer", "The Cosmic Laws", and "Cut To The Chase".   

Been a little slow getting to this one because Dusty Groove loses that bet, I have all of it already. But this is a fine, fine, fine compilation of the period covered, and if one is disinclined for whatever reason to pursue the individual CDs from this period, this is a good (but not complete!) substitute. There is much greatness on here, including an epic solo by Chris Potter on "Cut To The Chase"...I'm not particularly keen on Potter overall, but that might be because he's not as "unhinged" elsewhere as he is here.

There's also plenty of fine Dave Kikowski to be heard here as well. Quiet as it's kept, DK & MM seem to have had a really good musical rapport, every one of her projects that he's worked on has had delightful results. Some of them are here, "Generations" being especially standout-ish.

Adam rogers is all over this, and on a good number of cuts there's Alex Sipiagin's visionary horn & strings chart of Monday's equally visionary compositions.

My pick for an unlikely for dazzling success - her cover of the SOS Band's hit "Just Be Good To Me" previsioned as Brazilian aggression with layered vocals every bit as powerful as Brian Wilson's Beach Boys and Marvin Gaye's Marvin Gaye. The band played live, and...whoa. But Monday pretty much always has the band play live. Don't think that don't make a difference!

Anyway, this is here, and for those so inclined, here it is. Monday's been hustling to survive, here's hoping she thrives. Popular music needs her, still, now.

• 4 months later...