• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

go there and download the client

http://www.bittorrent.com/download.html

do some reading...

you'll need to register on dad, too - sometimes that's not possible (maximum of 100'000 members, I think), but with a bit of patience it should work.

and don't forget to read at least some of the faq once you're getting started (share ratio and some other important stuff that's good to know is explained in the faq's)

this wonderful person/talent is breaking out!!!! :tup

MONDAY MICHIRU NEWSLETTER

Almost Halloween, 2006

The leaves are beginning to turn by our house and I have been enjoying picking apples with my son for my yummy tart tartin, making pumpkin soup and fig tarts, and slowly pulling out my sweaters for the cooler weather. A lot has been going on, so let me update you!

November 3 -- THE MAT'S Opening Ishikawa Event -- In just a couple weeks I'll be in Japan again JUST for this one event put together by saxophonist Kayoko Kimura (who was my band regular, played in and also arranged some horn section parts, while I lived in Japan in the late 90s) in her hometown. Featuring a 3 part series of performances, the first is with myself and guitarist Naohiko Higuchi in a duet setting with Kimura-san and several others sitting in, as well as former YMO manipulator Hideki Matsutake in a talk session about "jizake," or local sake, and the other 2 parts with Kimura-san and her session, and Jazztronik in a DJ session. We're on first at 3:00 p.m.

The MAT's Opening Event

13-18 Doihara-Machi, Komatsu, Ishikawa-ken

http://tickets.yahoo.co.jp/category_detail? id=d987239a2fa0165370784c93c472d196&pc=241661&no=157668&dt=20061103&a=05 &dg=01&sg=10201&do=aHR0cDovL3RpY2tldHMueWFob28uY28uanAvY2F0ZWdvcnlfbGlzd D9hPTA1JmRnPTAxJnNnPTEwMjAx

November 24 & 25 JakJazz Festival -- The air tickets are bought, and it looks like it's happening! We're going to be in Jakarta for the JakJazz Festival which I am very excited about! The festival itself is from November 24-26. For more information, check:

www.jakjazz.com

December 1-13 in Japan -- The tour is coming together, and while there are some dates that are for private parties, most are public and I hope to see you there! Please check my events schedule for further information on dates, etc. I'll do another blast before we go on the road.

RECORDINGS -- I am overwhelmed and excited about several collaboration recordings I'm involved with:

Single with my mother, Toshiko Akiyoshi, of "Hope" -- For those of you who are fans of my mother, you might know her tune "Hope" which is part of the bigger composition written by her and commissioned by the town of Hiroshima entitled "Peace." I was asked to sing this tune in Japanese, the lyrics written by a famous Japanese lyricist, for her upcoming reunion big band concert in Suntory Hall on December 4th. Since then, Crown Records, the company she has been recording with for many years now, decided they would like to commemorate the concert with a single of this tune, and my mother asked me to write the English lyrics. She makes a good point in that lyrics take away the abstract feeling that only instrumentals can express, and it felt a little blasphemous writing lyrics to one of her compositions that will be left behind in a recording. She felt that a direct translation of the Japanese lyrics might be impossible; however, I felt that the Japanese lyrics were so beautiful and pure, and decided to challenge myself in doing a translation, or an adaptation if you will, into English, and I believe I came up with something that is pretty close in line with the Japanese lyrics. We will be recording this coming Saturday, October 21, in both Japanese and English versions. The single will be released the same day at the Suntory Hall concert, December 4, 2006.

Jazzida Grande -- I'm not familiar with them personally, but apparently they are a Japanese indies group who have done quite well in sales and have a nice following, I would say in the nu-acid jazz movement that seems to continue in Japan. They wrote the tune, melody and very elaborate arrangement included (Dave Darlington commented on the Kenny "Dope"-esque hi-hats!), and I contributed lyrics and the vocals with my usual vocal arrangement embellishments -- entitled "Release Your Light." To be released in February or March of 2007, possibly in a collaboration before the end of the year.

Yellowtail and Part Time Heroes collaborations -- Some of you know of my love for myspace.com even though it gets knocked by the media a lot. At 118 million plus members (and growing!), you're gonna get weirdos, true, but it also has a healthy number of fellow artists who have formed a community on the site, and I've been fortunate to be in touch with some who have done collaborations on my project, and I on theirs. Two of those collaborations are with Yellowtail, a very talented Japanese fellow based in Brooklyn who does some real dope tracks that is part Brooklyn, part ear-on-the-ground broken beats with his own flavors, and the other with the Part Time Heroes based in London, who are, as Gilles Peterson himself says, a jazzier Zero 7 -- VERY talented guys with great musical vision and grooves. Both have done remixes for me, which I will be releasing in the near future (more on that later), and I have in turn offered my writing and vocal skills to their tracks, which have come out REALLY cool! More information on releases as they transpire.

Jazztronik "Tiger Eyes" English Version -- Well, this one came as a surprise! I'm an admirer of this talented unit, and had indirectly been involved in projects with them (they remixed "Talk" and Nozaki-san was co-writer for Mondo Grosso's "Star Suite"), but this is the first time I'll be doing something directly with them. They first approached me to write a translation/adaptation of the lyrics to their track "Tiger Eyes," the Japanese version sang by Fukko of Core of Soul. I guess they went into the studio and it was a little difficult to match the melody to the lyrics, always tricky when you're dealing in a language that is not your own and don't have the lyricist (me) there to work it through. So now they've approached me to do the song in English, which should be interesting and a challenge. More information on the release later.

November issue of Tokyo Calendar on News Stands -- This is the shoot I did with my husband and two other great musicians, drummer Antonio Sanchez and guitarist David Gilmore, modeling clothing by Paul Stuart. I'll be uploading some shots from the day of the shoot after its release on October 21st.

December issue of Straight -- Straight decided to do a special on New York jazz clubs, and the editor in charge of this special, Mr. Yoji Nagasawa, asked me to help recommend and round-together a list of clubs in New York, which I was more than happy to do. We also coordinated interviews with my husband, and also my step-father, Lew Tabackin, as well as with rising star pianist Hiromi Uehara. It involved a few days of shooting in Manhattan, two of which I partaked in -- I even got to make a run to the famous Italian bakery on Bleeker in Greenwich Village for some canoli treats! This will be coming out on November 28th.

Other News -- This is already getting too long, so I'll try and make the rest short!

The "ROUTES" Live in Japan DVDs were sent to my gold participants as a perk for their generous involvement in helping to get the project off the ground, thank you Timmy and Mark -- hope you got and dug 'em!

For you hardcore manga fans, if you're hip to "Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu" which was a huge hit in Japan and Europe and for which I wrote the theme songs back in the day, there's talk of pachinko games featuring these characters and the songs!

Indies singer Risako releases her debut album on November 22nd in Japan, "Lotus Color" in which she did a touching version of my song "I'm Still Here" -- thank you Risako, and good luck!

Jazz Brat fans anywhere? Or perhaps some real life jazz brats? If you don't know what I'm talking about, my 1995 album was entitled "Jazz Brat" which I stole from Don Cherry's mouth after I did an interview with him in 1992, where he referred to his children and other children of jazz musicians as "jazz brats." We made promo T-shirts in 1995 upon the release of my namesake album, and now that my son is older, he fits into and is wearing my Jazz Brat T-shirts! We have a lot of jazz musician friends who have had children recently, which has inspired me to design JAZZ BRAT T-shirts 21st century style! More on that as it develops

New ArtistShare Project Launch Soon! For real!! I'm working on putting together a remix EP of the "Routes" material, which I am going to entitle "Alternate Routes," and anticipate release at the launch of the new ArtistShare project hopefully by January of 2007! Christian Ericson, another talented person I met through myspace and who, among other things, worked on the recent ArtistShare Brian Lynch and Eddie Palmieri album (I introduced them!) and doing work for the Marley camp, will be putting together the visuals with his art direction, graphics and whatnot. Please check back for more information and updates. I'm totally psyched!

I've also got some new pictures and blogs up in both the "Routes project" pages (click the ArtistShare link on the top right of my homepage) and my home site, so check 'em out.

Well, as you can see, the colder weather has not slowed me down in the least, and if anything, I feel more revitalized than ever, hungry to create more and ready to dive into it. But first things first -- tours in Indonesia and Japan, and helping out my husband's ArtistShare project which we haven't even begun -- HELP!

But it's all good and positive. Y'all be safe, healthy and be full of positivity!

peace,

Monday Michiru

www.mondaymichiru.com

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details...16943&hit=1

Monday Michiru + Band

1999-June-11

Salzau, JazzBaltica 1999

Am listening to this right now... the sound on this is GREAT! Some wonderful playing all around, and Monday's voice is captured nicely on this recording.

After hearing some of her work on CD, I wondered how well she would sound live. Well, I got my answer... this is some damn fine stuff! :tup

I'll definitely be looking for her the next time she plays in Southern California.

Cheers,

Shane

Downloading this now. I'm very eager to hear this since despite all the praise heaped on her I've yet to see/hear a lick of her recorded work.

I got the gift from DanLon and was digging it all last night. It's great to hear how she lets her band loose. Not too many singers have the kind of ego (or lack of) to go that route. And the arrangements are all significantly different from those on the records. Again, much love for that.

But....

You need to hear the records. That's where her brilliance really comes to the fore. She's on record many times admitting to an insecurity with pitch (and again - so much love for that, because I've never known a singer to cop to this quite common trait, much less as matter-of-factly as she does), and you'll hear it here, as well as some really great moments as well.

Yet by here own admission:

Unfortunately I'm probably a studio artist. I can be more creative and do more interesting things, and damn I just ain't a one-take singer.

Read the entire interview here. It's refreshing to hear somebody be so honest about themself and not go all ego-tripping out. But I've never read anything by her that's otherwise, and in the few e-mail exchanges we've had, that same, for lack of a better term, righteous humility comes through. Such a beautiful spirit she has!

Anyway, the point is that she's one of those artists for whom the studio is a genuine tool of expression. Now, some might cry "SHAM! If you can't do it as good live as you do it on the record, you're a fraud." Well, yeah, ok, whatever. But really, do we expect great playwrites to be great actors? Do we expect great authors to be dynamic public speakers? Do we expect great photographers to be great painters? Of course not.

There's still a school of musical thought that resists the "studio as instrument" esthetic. Again, yeah, ok, whatever. Sure, it's a marvellous tool for polishing turds, but it's also a marvellous outlet for people with visions that can't be fully realized (if at all) otherwise. Monday's studio work (especially once she really began to hit her stride around the time of Delicious Poison, which, ironically, is a "live in the studio" affair) is about as deep as any pop music I've ever heard. the woman's vision is staggering in its combination of musical breadth, sophistication, and spiritual intuitiveness. If she needs the studio to get it all out, goddamit, give her the studio! Because with her, it's ultimately about the vision, and for my money, it's as beautiful a human vision as any I've encountered in quite a while.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently aquired 4 Seasons. Last night, I was completely absorbed by the groove in Chasing After the Sun, the track 2, disc 2 version. Couldn't help but pick up a shaker and join in on that party! Really like some of the other stuff I'm hearing there, too, like Chances.

Optimista will be coming, as well, as soon as Tower can locate a copy for me.

Don't know if my experience is typical, but I've had better luck getting female friends into this than male friends.

Let's be real here for a second - most men are clueless idiots (especially "jazz fans", who are looking only for a badge of identification by which to justify their otherwise totally unhip selfs). It's a miracle that the species has propagated itself this long. Women as a group have been more than forgiving. Let's hear it for yin & yang and the natural pull between them, because otherwise...

But I've had good luck w/both genders.

The male musicians I know really dig her, as a rule. Except for those who are the abovementioned "jazz fans" who just happen to play, no matter how well... But the cats who both know & feel music trip out over her far more often than not. THere's been one or two exceptions, but hey, nobody's perfect. ;)

Like I said, nobody's perfect...

Besides, the full appreciation of the yin requires the yang to surrender to it at some point for some duration, and vice versa. Guys as a rule have a helluva hard time with surrendering. They think that once you let it go, you don't get it back.

That only happens if you never really had it in the first place...

Edited by JSngry

• 3 weeks later...

Like I said, nobody's perfect...

Besides, the full appreciation of the yin requires the yang to surrender to it at some point for some duration, and vice versa. Guys as a rule have a helluva hard time with surrendering. They think that once you let it go, you don't get it back.

That only happens if you never really had it in the first place...

Hey man, I ain't surrendering my yang. I use that thing on a daily basis. ;)

I've only listened once, in the car, while trying to drive into inner-city Chicago, so forgive me if I wasn't concentrating much. But something about her voice really didn't sit well with me... she sounds like she's trying to be something she's not.

Just my opinion. It doesn't mean the stufff won't "grow" on me.

... she sounds like she's trying to be something she's not.

Which would be what?

Just curious, really.

Okay, I'm going to preface this with a little confession: I'm not a big one for women singers. I don't know what it is, but there are very few I can stand. Most of the ones I really enjoy are black and had their heyday 30+ years ago. There are exceptions to that rule (Bonnie Raitt and Alison Krauss are two that come immediately to mind) but if its one thing I cannot stand its a bad or even just mediocre female singer. Probably just because there are SO many of them. (Side topic which has been brought up here before by me, I'm pretty sure: Why are there so few women instrumentalists and so many female vocalists?!)

Anyway, I'm not saying she's a bad singer at all. Far from it. I just feel like she's trying to be a soul singer and she's not, at least to my ears. But I could be totally missing the point or totally wrong (wouldn't be the first time). That was just the impression I got from that very cursory listen, hearing it with my above-mentioned biases.

Fair enough, & I totally understand where you're coming from, if for no other reason than it could've (hell - would've) been me not too long ago.

All I can say is that for me, it's a new kind of "colorless" soul singing, one that's international in scope, and one that's put all the societal baggage that went into the creation of the old soul singing behind (as much as possible). There's a fair amount of it going on in the world at large, still mostly underground, but it's there, and it feels real enough to me more often than not. There's a pocket of multi-racial "neo-soul music" going on in England that's neither "white" nor "black" sounding, at least in American terms, but that might be the point.

It excites me, because at some point, the world is going to have to let go of the rancid legacy of European colonialism and get on with the business of moving on, just saying "fuck it, I'm done with it". That's going to be especially difficult, if not impossible, here in America, but hey, that's where I am. Let the dying play the games of the dead, and let those who want to live get on with the business of living the way living should be done.

Monday's certainly got the background to come by this attitude naturally - Japanese/Italian parentage, Anglo step-father, totally jazz-surrounded household, a childhood split between the US & Japan, and by all accounts, quite the club (i.e. Black/Urban Dance Music) kid for quite a while. At some point for her, I'd imagine, she finally caught on that "soul" really is a universal quality if you let it be, and just went with it. Fuck being any other race than simply human & just let it roll like that. For that, I think she deserves some sort of Role Model For the 21st Century award.

No, she doesn't sound "black". But she doesn't really sound "white" either. Aretha she's not, but neither is she Helen Reddy, dig? She just is who she is, a pan-cultural child of the world who loves it all, and she doesn't pretend to be anything else. That mike take some getting used to for American ears, who are accustomed to having racial identity telegraphed from a million miles away every time they open their eyes and ears. It's how we are, and it's not our fault. But at some point, we're all going to have to let it go and be "from" someplace and be here now, if you know what I mean.

In my opinion, the whole "white folks needing to feel black to prove they have soul" thing was necessary for a good long while as a societal transitioning tool. But the thing about transitioning is that sooner or later, the transition has to complete itself and a new thing has to start getting on with business. To me, Monday's there. Like I said, for Americans as a whole, it might seem (and may actually be) unreasonable or even unfathomable, to imagine such a thing, much less put it into practice. Very well might be. But for what it's worth, I'm down with it all the way.

Just my opinion, and I'm certainly not expecting a unanimous round of applause from the house for it. :g But there it is anyway.

I'll even up the ante a little bit by saying this - America is no longer the cultural center of the popular music world. There's a whole generation, a global generation, who doesn't give a phlying phuck about our baggage and how it continues to circle around itself (although they dig the shit out of some of it's more serendipitous results). They're moving on, and we are going to be left in their dust.

To use but one example - I'd venture to say that Bob Marley as a musical figure, never mind cultural icon, is far more revered amongst the global African population that are James Brown & Aretha combined. Far more, not even close.

America, can you see the tailights? Look quick, they'll soon be out of range.

Okay, I'm going to preface this with a little confession: I'm not a big one for women singers. I don't know what it is, but there are very few I can stand.

Funny, I'm just the opposite. The little bit of vocal music I listen to on a regular basis is mostly from female singers (Monday, Alison K., and Luciana Souza).

I'll even up the ante a little bit by saying this - America is no longer the cultural center of the popular music world. There's a whole generation, a global generation, who doesn't give a phlying phuck about our baggage and how it continues to circle around itself (although they dig the shit out of some of it's more serendipitous results). They're moving on, and we are going to be left in their dust.

To use but one example - I'd venture to say that Bob Marley as a musical figure, never mind cultural icon, is far more revered amongst the global African population that are James Brown & Aretha combined. Far more, not even close.

America, can you see the tailights? Look quick, they'll soon be out of range.

I think that's been true of Marley for 25+ years now, that's not new. He's probably more revered in the global non-African population as well.

Regarding Michiru, she doesn't do much for me either, and I don't feel I have American-blinders on, having grown up essentially outside of the United States. She doesn't seem to push the boundaries of the style of music she's playing, to me.