sHoRtY rOgErS oN rCa

Jim R

The recent Shorty Rogers Mosaic thread got me to thinking about Rogers' work on RCA. I've never heard much of his work for RCA, but I'm aware that he recorded prolifically for the label (about 15 albums). I'm also aware that quite a few of the individual albums have made it to CD, but I'm not certain how many remain as LP-only. Anyway, I'm curious as to whether this might be something that Mosaic would consider as a potential project (I wouldn't be surprised if somebody already suggested it before, here or on the BN board or elsewhere, but my memory ain't that good).

Aside from that question, I'd be curious to hear what any serious Rogers fans out there might think about the relative quality of his work for RCA.

Thanks for the comments so far. Anybody besides Chuck have an opinion regarding the possible potential for a full sized Mosaic set? I would probably want a complete RCA set, just for the sake of having everything under one roof...

Here's a (complete?) list of his RCA's, for reference:

1953- Cool and Crazy (10")

1953- Shorty Rogers' Giants (10")

1954- Shorty Rogers Courts the Count

1954- Collaboration (w/ Andre Previn)

1956- Shorty Rogers & His Giants (12")

1956- Wherever the Five Winds Blow

1956- Collaboration

1957- The Big Shorty Rogers Express

1957- Shorty Rogers Plays Richard Rodgers

1957- Portrait of Shorty

1958- Gigi Goes Jazz

1958- Afro Cuban Influence

1959- Chances Are It Swings

1959- The Wizard of Oz and Other Harold Arlen Songs

1960- The Swingin' Nutcracker

Edited by Jim R

Maybe the most loony but unfailingly interesting (at least in certain moods) "too written" jazz record I know is the Rogers-Andre Previn RCA album "Collaboration" (from I think 1954 or '55), with Rogers arranging standards on one side that are directly followed by Previn originals on those changes; then on the other side they switch roles. Previn not only solos a good deal but also plays a prominent role in the ensemble on many tracks (he's not yet into his Hampton Hawes-Horace Silver bag, though that's within sight); Rogers is about as cute-clever as he ever got; and the execution by the band (Shank, Cooper, Giuffre, Bernhart, Manne, etc.) of some extremely tricky writing is often breathtaking. Yes, it's incredibily precious and bitty, but to me it's redeemed because it's also quite mad, like certain kinds of vintage '50s science fiction. Now that I think of it, Rogers dug some of that SF, or at least knew about it; his first Atlantic album, "Martians Go Home," is named after a very good SF novel of the time by Frederic Brown.

Another one I really like is "An Invisible Orchard" from '61.

'Invisible Orchard' was an unissued RCA album by Shorty Rogers and his Giants

that Fresh Sounds published on CD several years ago. Excellent date indeed with the

usual gang (Conte Candoli, Rosolino, Perkins, Red Mitchell, Mel Lewis, etc.)

I think that Shorty Rogers Swings Tarzan would also have to be on that list. I've never heard that album, and don't even know if it's supposed to be "jazz," but I've seen the cover (a Tarzan model holding Shorty in his arms, as if Mr. Rogers were a newly wed bride), and have always been curious. Does anyone have it?

Another RCA album that might also (technically) be on that list is one that Rogers doesn't play on, but did all the arrangements for, and receives album cover credits for: The Five, which is a quintet session with Bill Perkins, Conte Candoli, Pete Jolly, Buddy Clark, and Mel Lewis. Perkins has some attractive ballad spots on this album (also on disc through RCA Spain), which are the high-points for me.

I think the one indispensable album from the RCA lot is Wherever the Five Winds Blow, which highlights some great Giuffre on clarinet. I also like Cool and Crazy for the swingin' big band arrangements (where Maynard is in top form). I have about 2/3 of the list up above on disc, but would probably still plump for a Complete RCA Recordings Mosaic. The Spanish cd's are often tinny sounding to my ears, and (judging by the new Bluebird reissues) I bet Shorty's RCA work would have new life were it freshly remastered.

I think that Shorty Rogers Swings Tarzan would also have to be on that list. I've never heard that album, and don't even know if it's supposed to be "jazz," but I've seen the cover (a Tarzan model holding Shorty in his arms, as if Mr. Rogers were a newly wed bride), and have always been curious. Does anyone have it?

The Tarzan album was not RCA, but MGM. The only thing that made it worthwhile was its

cover. A classic! The music is way beneath the RCA albums.

I had to search far to get a copy.

You're right, Brownie. I was just doing an image search when you posted! I think the title is actually Shorty Rogers Meets Tarzan as well. (My mistake earlier.) Still would like to hear what Shorty came up with.

Here's one (little) image I did find, that was nice:

s-bwc-M-W275.jpg