Charles Tolliver

I would highly recommend the recently released Mosaic Select. Not only to you get the Tokyo gig with some previously unreleased material, but you get both volumes of "Live at Slug's". My only exposure to Tolliver prior to this was the McLean Mosaic. I'd kind of forgottem about him until recently, but he is a very underrated player/writer.

Up over and out.

I would highly recommend the recently released Mosaic Select. Not only to you get the Tokyo gig with some previously unreleased material, but you get both volumes of "Live at Slug's". My only exposure to Tolliver prior to this was the McLean Mosaic. I'd kind of forgottem about him until recently, but he is a very underrated player/writer.

Up over and out.

SHIT, forgot about the mosaic, thank you very much for reminding me. Now i'll have to sell "Grand Max" and "Live In Tokyo" when they arrive...................

Up over and out.

SHIT, forgot about the mosaic, thank you very much for reminding me. Now i'll have to sell "Grand Max" and "Live In Tokyo" when they arrive...................

Looks like Grand Max is not part of the mosaic...........

Up over and out.

Looks like Grand Max is not part of the mosaic...........

It's not. The Mosaic is both volumes of Live at Slugs, the single volume Live in Tokyo, and tons of bonus material, great remastered sound. The Ringer is fabulous. I'm still waiting for CD release of his first as a leader, Charles Tolliver All-Stars, with Gary Bartz,Herbie Hancock, I think Ron Carter and Tony Williams. Anyoen know of any plans for a reissue of that?

The date with Hancock and Bartz has been sheduled for reissue "very soon" on Tolliver's website for years, but nothing's happened yet. I remember someone with a bit of inside info posted that it was very close to be released or something to that effect, but I think that was over a year ago.

The Ringer isn't part of the Select either and a great date as well, well worth seeking.

The Tolliver Big Band question can be answered! The sessions are sceduled to happen the beginning of June. If all goes well I'll be attending the reheasals the end of may in NYC. MC is producing this one (I assume for Blue Note but don't know this for sure). The Paper Man session is great too so it should be released soon as well. I'll ask Charles when I see him during those rehearsals. I believe they are made for Alan Bates/Polydor so MC might know who owns the rights now.

The Tolliver Big Band question can be answered! The sessions are sceduled to happen the beginning of June. If all goes well I'll be attending the reheasals the end of may in NYC. MC is producing this one (I assume for Blue Note but don't know this for sure).

Yeah!!!!! :):):)

Any idea if Billy Harper will be on board?? icon14.gif Oh please, oh please, oh please - let it be so!!!

• 1 month later...

The Tolliver Big Band question can be answered! The sessions are sceduled to happen the beginning of June. If all goes well I'll be attending the reheasals the end of may in NYC. MC is producing this one (I assume for Blue Note but don't know this for sure).

Yeah!!!!! :):):)

Any idea if Billy Harper will be on board?? icon14.gif Oh please, oh please, oh please - let it be so!!!

FWIW, it is now confirmed that Billy Harper WILL be a featured soloist on the Tolliver big band recordings, sessions for which are coming up next week (beginning of June).

MC confirmed Harper's participation in this project, via an e-mail we traded last week. Don't know yet if it will be on Blue Note. Either way, the important thing is that Harper's on board. :tup:tup

YES!!! :excited:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The rehearsals are this week (just got back so I didn't make them). Stanley Cowell (and maybe Robert Glasper on some tracks) are on piano, Cecil McBee on bass, Both Bartz and Spaulding are NOT on it (a pity I know). Howard Johnson, Bill Saxton, David Weiss, Jason Jackson are others which I can remember. Indeed a Blue Note recording. Released later this year (if all goes well).

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks, we did record an album for Blue Note last week. Billy Harper, Craig Handy, Howard Johnson, Bill Saxton, Stanley Cowell, Rober Glasper, Cecil McBee and Victor Lewis were among the participants. I think it will be great but I'm biased of course. Looks like it will be a February release. I'll keep you posted.