Charles Tolliver

OK folks, we did record an album for Blue Note last week. Billy Harper, Craig Handy, Howard Johnson, Bill Saxton, Stanley Cowell, Rober Glasper, Cecil McBee and Victor Lewis were among the participants. I think it will be great but I'm biased of course. Looks like it will be a February release. I'll keep you posted.

My favorite drummers with Tolliver are Jimmy Hopps and George Brown. Both played with emotional fire and swung hard!

OK folks, we did record an album for Blue Note last week. Billy Harper, Craig Handy, Howard Johnson, Bill Saxton, Stanley Cowell, Rober Glasper, Cecil McBee and Victor Lewis were among the participants. I think it will be great but I'm biased of course. Looks like it will be a February release. I'll keep you posted.

My favorite drummers with Tolliver are Jimmy Hopps and George Brown. Both played with emotional fire and swung hard!

Yes, both great drummers that Charles speaks very highly of, he still says that Hopps could play some grooves in a certain way that no one since can touch. It's tragic that both are alive and not on the scene. That said, Victor Lewis was simply off the hook on this recording. The studio was shaking and he raised the whole session to another level.

This is great news. Thanks for sharing it

• 3 months later...

Is February '07 still the release month for the Tolliver Big Band date on Blue Note? Any projected titles or recent news?

Also — the Japanese market is reissuing Impact (in mini-LP format) this November. I wonder how the remastering engineer will handle that album's wonky sound. Great music, but kind of hard to listen to ...

Also — the Japanese market is reissuing Impact (in mini-LP format) this November. I wonder how the remastering engineer will handle that album's wonky sound. Great music, but kind of hard to listen to ...

The Strata East or the Enja album? I've seen "Impact" on a list of future japanese Enja reissues sent by Hiroshi Tanno.

Here's the european reissue:

http://www.enjarecords.com/cd.php?nr=ENJ-2109

• 5 months later...
  • 15 years later...

Finally ordered and received the (somewhat) recent Japanese version of The Ringer:

OS0zMTI1LmpwZWc.jpeg

CD Japan doesn't carry this particular title for some reason. I only ever had a CDR of the Black Lion edition, but this new remaster (with original UK cover art) sounds really good. Not compressed at all. Highly recommended. Tolliver would go on to finer solos, but what an auspicious debut. Play it loud!

("Debut" as far as it being released in the day.)

On 6/21/2022 at 3:05 PM, Late said:

Finally ordered and received the (somewhat) recent Japanese version of The Ringer:

OS0zMTI1LmpwZWc.jpeg

CD Japan doesn't carry this particular title for some reason. I only ever had a CDR of the Black Lion edition, but this new remaster (with original UK cover art) sounds really good. Not compressed at all. Highly recommended. Tolliver would go on to finer solos, but what an auspicious debut. Play it loud!

("Debut" as far as it being released in the day.)

Great album - NO question!