Charlie Haden

jazz1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, although I think Haden is a top-notch player and leader, I must admit that I'm not always as excited about everything he's ever done. For instance, his "Quartet West" albums (or at least the two I've heard), never did all that much for me. I could definitely hear the quality in the playing and arrangements, and the "lushness" of it all, but I just couldn't get very excited about them, personally.

So I guess I'd go on record as saying that I think Haden is an excellent player, who I don't get all fired up about - except in certain contexts. And I guess that just comes down to a matter of personal taste, and preference.

His work with Ornette, and in "Ornette"-ish contexts (i.e. "Old and New Dreams", etc...) are probably my favorite ways to hear Haden. I also like the very first "Liberation Music Orchestra" album quite a bit. Other than that, I really haven't heard all that much. I've sampled some tracks, here and there, of several of his other albums - but wasn't moved enough to drop a dime for them. I'm sure they were good, but just not my cup of tea.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Agreed overall about Quartet West - Ernie Watts has always struck me as an outright puzzling choice, and Alan Broadbent, although an excellent player (and arranger, in his own right) has never really done it for me emotionally. I like the concepts of the albums, and the way the concepts are executed, I'm just not crazy about the group itself, if that makes any sense.

Fortunately, I had about a 15 year head start on Quartet West, so it doesn't really factor into my love of Haden.

I actually totally agree about Quartet West, EXCEPT for that first album - everyone, including Watts, plays with heart and soul. It sounds substantial and fresh, rather than like a dredging of the past which is how I think the rest of the Quartet West albums sound. Should have quit while they were ahead.

What I like a lot about the Quartet West albums is that they give us a chance to hear the great Larance Marable!

Otherwise, I like Haden a lot, and I, too, prefer his Ornette/-eish stuff, the duos (particularly "As long as there is music") and the Liberation Music Orchestra over the Quartet West.

And his Montréal Tapes are an incredible run! Nice the one with Henderson/Foster will finally come!

ubu

Nice the one with Henderson/Foster will finally come!

When is this due out, and does anybody have a track listing??? Anything stand out (tune-wise) as being unique in the Joe Hendrson cannon?? (Like do they cover any Ornette tunes?? - or maybe a pianoless trio version of "Power To The People", you know - something 'weird' like that??)

Haden is my favorite bassist. I realize that William Parker, Richard Davis and Ron Carter may be technically superior, but Haden gets to me. There are a few different reasons why.

1. Deep resonating soulful slow playing. Try Prayer from Keith Jarrett's Death and the Flower.

2. Bass that feels like strummed flamenco guitar, very Spanish feel. Hear Paul Motian's Tribute album.

3. Funky grooves that often incorporate #s 1 and 2. Ornette Coleman's Law Years from Science Fiction, Keith Jarrett's De Drums from Fort Yawuh.

I love a lot of Haden's playing especially with Ornette and with Jarrett. I actually like Quartet West quite a bit, at least the first 3 releases and then it did get a bit formulaic. I can see why some only like the first one. I think Broadbent and Watts are fine for this concept and Larance Marable, what's not to like. I saw this band live at the Catalina Bar and Grill in LA in the mid 90's and they just killed the whole audience. fantastic.

His work with Ornette, and in "Ornette"-ish contexts (i.e. "Old and New Dreams", etc...) are probably my favorite ways to hear Haden.

I was hoping someone would mention this! I have one disc called "Playing" and the bass tone he gets on that recording should be bronzed...for me it's THAT good and it sets the tone (sorry) for acoustic bass playing, at the very least as far as the ECM way of doing things and presages Hollands great work as a leader on that label. However, where Haden doesn't really grab me is of the group concepts, especially w/r/t the Liberation Orchestra. That is just not my cup o' joe! I haven't heard any of the Quartet West stuff really, but he was there when Ornette was developing, so he should get some Hall of Fame credit just for that!! :)

Since we'll no doubt manage to list every recording that Haden's been on, let me ( :winky: ) plug the series "The Montreal Tapes", all recorded at the Festival International de Jazz de Montreal - those that I have - there are others (?):

Haden with Geri Allen and Paul Motian - recorded July 1, 1989

Haden with Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell - recorded July 2, 1989 (very playful)

Haden with Gonzalo Rubalcaba and Paul Motion - recorded July 3, 1989 (a favorite)

Haden with Egberto Gismonti - recorded July 6, 1989

Haden with Paul Bley and Paul Motion - recorded July 7, 1989

The sound on all of these is superior (as stated above, big, ripe sound on the bass) - especially considering that they're live recordings.

Anyone fortunate enough to attend these shows? Ed?

Another vote for the montreal tapes! rubelcaba is amazing and should have received top billing IMHO.

favorite bass player: hands down - ray brown!

• 5 months later...

up for some air!

Anyone has picked up the Henderson/Foster Montréal and cares to comment?

I just picked up the Bley/Motian and Liberation Music Orchestra discs from the Montréal tapes yesterday. Had a listen to half of LMO. Great stuff!

It seems some of these are going OOP (the LMO and the Cherry/Blackwell, as far as I have seen).

ubu

I haven't, but I did stumble across an album by composer Gavin Bryars that features a piece dedicated and written for Charlie Haden. The album is called FAREWELL TO PHILOSOPHY and the composition in titled "By The Vaar." It is definitely worth the $1.99 I spent on it, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Features a piece for Julian Lloyd Webber, a piece for Nexus (percussion quintet), and the Haden piece. Of the three, I find the Nexus piece most interesting.

Haden plays well and the recording really picks up the sound of his instrument, but the boredom that the accompaniment contributes to the piece does a great job of cancelling most of the enthusiasm I have for this piece. Unfortunate.

Charlie is a great player. I don't have much with him, but his contributions on the duet record with Metheny are very nice...... both those guys are such a compatible pair, love the way Haden's bassline provides tension behind Pat's acoustic sitar solo on "Tears of Rain." Charlie's contribution to Pat's "Secret Story" album and the tune "Above the Treetops", is solid as well. He's just playing the changes really but it works very well with Pat's solo. Charlie is also good on Josh Redman's "Wish". Dig the "Blues in the Closet" quote on "Blues For Pat".

Charlie is also good on Josh Redman's "Wish". Dig the "Blues in the Closet" quote on "Blues For Pat".

I guess that's by far my favorite moment of that disc! Anyway, the two live tracks are soooo f**king good, I wonder why they did not release a whole album by that band!

ubu