The Duke University lacrosse scandal, what do you all think???

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this story is virtually lost in the imus calamity and their accusers are virtually unscathed.

Meanwhile, I've also heard that the "victims" (the three lacrosse players) have amassed $5 million in legal bills. (That sounds wildly excessive, I know, but what if it was "only" $100,000?)

It doesn't sound excessive to me. That is in line with the market value of a top-notch criminal defense.

Why the lacrosse players' case wasn't dismissed almost at the beginning is beyond me. The lady changed her story several times, was wishy-washy, no DNA evidence(except an incidental bit under a fingernail that was deemed immaterial). Seems like Gov Easely or some higher up agency could've stepped in and stopped the farce.

Next, America moves on to the Paris Hilton story.

We have friggin' wars and genocide going on. Our country sponsors some, ignores the rest and the populace is caught up in relative "small stuff".

It isn't small to the coach who was fired, the program that was dismantled, or especially the three young men who had their entire lives turned upside down.

District attorneys should not be elected. Prosecuting and upholding the law should not be an electoral popularity contest.

In Pennsylvania not only do we elect our DAs but we elect our judges as well. Now that's fucked up.

The thing is if the DA is appointed then the residing appointer can appoint his good buddy rather than who is most qualified. On the other hand Amurica's preoccupation with popularity, rather than qualifications, ain't exactly the way to go either. We're fucked no matter what. Personally, the way the winds blowing, I'd rather go with appointing.

Edited by MoGrubb

We have friggin' wars and genocide going on. Our country sponsors some, ignores the rest and the populace is caught up in relative "small stuff".

I think this stuff is very important. Nifong got busted spending public $ on a nonexistent case. It's a corrupt tactic that actually works most of the time. Eliot Spitzer's road to NY governor was paved by generalized class action lawsuits against financial firms. A few companies got slapped on the wrist and just passed the costs down to investors. In the meantime, the companies are likely doing whatever improprieties they used to do. No change, but Spitzer got his headlines and his governorship, and the American public is poorer for it. Added compliance costs are always handed down to the customer.

Edited by connoisseur series500

I think that was a big mistake. I don't think that the blacks of America will get the respect they deserve until their spokesmen differentiate between the vast majority and the low lifes among them.

This is an good point, but did the blacks of America support the stripper? The black spokesman did, but what of the public at large?

District attorneys should not be elected. Prosecuting and upholding the law should not be an electoral popularity contest.

In Pennsylvania not only do we elect our DAs but we elect our judges as well. Now that's fucked up.

I'll go you one better - how about electing sheriffs, too? Don't worry about law enforcement training, education, experience - elect your favorite good ol' boy. Much better that way. :wacko:

I'll go you one better - how about electing sheriffs, too? Don't worry about law enforcement training, education, experience - elect your favorite good ol' boy. Much better that way. :wacko:

I never understood the Sheriff election thing either.

A better way would probably be for the county commisioners or whoever runs the show to promote from within the department or hire from another agency, county, or state, like police departments do.

"The Sheriff, he weren't much for kissin' babies...so when the votes was counted up, he was out of a job."

Lee Marvin, Seven Men From Now

It isn't small to the coach who was fired, the program that was dismantled, or especially the three young men who had their entire lives turned upside down.

But it should be "small" to the rest of us. Chuck is right.

Guy

Guy

No, that's a silly argument. One might just as well say that the wars and genocide going on now are "small stuff" too compared to what might result, long-term, from global warming or the eventual explosion of the sun. There are always "bigger things" to worry about, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the lesser issues.

I think that was a big mistake. I don't think that the blacks of America will get the respect they deserve until their spokesmen differentiate between the vast majority and the low lifes among them.

This is an good point, but did the blacks of America support the stripper? The black spokesman did, but what of the public at large?

I think in this case there was a very vocal minority of blacks that Nifong misread to be a majority.

Maybe he was thinking "They're guilty of something" and proceeded on moral/denial grounds?

Guy

No, that's a silly argument. One might just as well say that the wars and genocide going on now are "small stuff" too compared to what might result, long-term, from global warming or the eventual explosion of the sun. There are always "bigger things" to worry about, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the lesser issues.

I agree. As somebody who has been involved in criminal defenses, it scares me how easily an innocent person can have their life turned upside down due to the ambitions of a prosecutor looking to further his career. Really. My top issue is global warming, by far, but this is one of many smaller issues that deserves attention IMO.