Henry Threadgill

paul secor

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Threadgill, and I like the *idea* of Threadgill, and I've enjoyed hearing him live, but for whatever reason many of his recordings now leave me cold. There will always be a place in my heart for Just the Facts, and of the trios (most or all of which I own in one or other format) I generally reach for the Nessa. Though I was excited to hear the double tuba group in concert I never felt the recordings worked that well. I never warmed to the Columbias at all. It's the kind of thing I might come back to and feel differently again, but that's how it stands for me with the recordings at this moment. I'd go to a Threadgill concert any day of the week though and be thrilled to be there.

Edited by David Ayers

• 4 months later...

Henry Threadgill is definitely different. He's got a very unique style and I'm finding I like his music more and more. Can anyone recommend anything by him that's maybe a little more accessible than his Make A Move stuff?

You might try "Too Much Sugar For a Dime", for something more accessible.

I got 'Sugar' and love it. Where should I go now? I'd like another one that is similar to 'Sugar' and that would not be included in the Mosaic box, as I plan to save for that too.

Thanks

Henry Threadgill is definitely different. He's got a very unique style and I'm finding I like his music more and more. Can anyone recommend anything by him that's maybe a little more accessible than his Make A Move stuff?

I got 'Sugar' and love it. Where should I go now? I'd like another one that is similar to 'Sugar' and that would not be included in the Mosaic box, as I plan to save for that too.

Thanks

Mosaic Box?

Thanks

Mosaic Box?

Threadgill Mosaic

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for bumping this thread... played a whole lot of Air last week, as well as the recent Soul Note/Black Saint Threadgill box from CAM Jazz (including two Air and two New Air discs, Song Out of My Trees, Spirit of Nuff... Nuff, and Flutistry), as well as the two About Time discs again. "Just the Facts and Pass the Bucket" was my favourite among them all! The Nessa Air is totally fabulous, too, though, and most likely the best of the bunch of Airs that I played!

Oh, and "Just the Facts..." would win just about about every "best album title" contest... now pass the..." :crazy:

• 2 months later...

I still have regrets that I could not catch Henry Threadgill and ZOOID at the Jazz Gallert last February as my trip to NYC was cancelled due to the snow. Can anyone advise a web resource that my list his (infrequent) touring schedule?

Also, any comments on the "Up Popped the Tape" LP? I was thinking of trying to track down that vinyl for a friend of mine in Germany.

Thanks,

LWayne

I still have regrets that I could not catch Henry Threadgill and ZOOID at the Jazz Gallert last February as my trip to NYC was cancelled due to the snow. Can anyone advise a web resource that my list his (infrequent) touring schedule?

Also, any comments on the "Up Popped the Tape" LP? I was thinking of trying to track down that vinyl for a friend of mine in Germany.

Thanks,

LWayne

x75, from the 70s, never committed to cd, as far as i know, is my fav, if you can find it, and the incredibe air stuff, of course.

too much sugar is a personal fav.

• 1 month later...

FYI...

Henry Threadgill and Zooid

&

Muhal Richard Abrams/George Lewis (Duo)

at The Community Church of New York

40 East 35th Street

New York, NY

September 24 · 8:00pm - 10:00pm

Outpost Performance Space

10.01.10 to 10.02.10

tba

albuquerque, NM

HENRY THREADGILL ZOOID

Herbst Theatre

Henry Threadgill Zooid

roulette

11.11.10 to 11.13.10

TBA

new york, NY

Henry Threadgill Zooid +++3 nights, 3 different configurations+++

with So Percussion

with Flux String Quartet

http://www.christopherhoffman.com/html/itinerary.php

I'll say something about the music.

I am surprised by Threadgill's patience in sticking with improvisation. There really are difficulties in creating effects in group imrov once you go beyond the forms of classic jazz. Except for the use of what can be almost true polyphony in early jazz, classic jazz has always been a homophonic music (lead voice and continuo). The notes to this new album describe an eight year preparation period in getting the group to deliver a music which I agree is successful (and, I'd say, better than much of HT's previous recorded work). But eight years is a long time to get people to improvise something which could just have been written by a composer. If I set this against Harrison Birtwistle's early Tragoedia and mid-period Secret Theatre, I have to conclude that Birtwistle develops similar tastes to HT further than HT does. Much further, I'd say, and while it might be thought that improv can secure more spontaneous performances than composed music, I'd also say that when I heard Secret Theatre in concert the spontaneity and energy was incredibly high.

Now I know people will line up to criticise this point of view, but there is a serious question here about the expenditure of effort involved in the choice of the musical means. Birtwistle realises aesthetic goals more thoroughly and effectively than Threadgill. His work takes advantage of existing musical machinery (trained musicians, venues etc). Since it is written it is not only preserved and available for study and analysis, but it also goes beyond its occasion and establishes performance tradition. Only 'jazz fans' will turn to HT's music, and in their minds they will hear an expert soloist with a 'band'. I wonder if the effort will be in proportion to the outcome.

*Sigh*

I suppose I take some of the hype around 'serious' jazz too seriously. If I just accept the simple version on offer - that this is jazz which emphasises slightly unusual intervals - then there's nothing to say. Except to wonder why it took eight years to develop. And then remind myself that probably I shouldn't take that claim too seriously either. In truth, HT himself plays pretty much as he always did.