Henry Threadgill

paul secor

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been spending a lot of time with the Mosaic recently -- especially the Air, X-75, and Sextett albums. The last Zooid CD was great, and for me rivals anything he has ever done (still have not heard the material on the Black Saint/Soul Note box). This being said, I was kind of hoping for something from some version of Double Up. Regardless, I glad HT keeps on keeping on.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to getting the new Zooid CD.  I really liked Tomorrow Sunny/The Revelry, Spp, and, for better or worse, I went into the new one wondering how I would like it relative to the earlier one. 

About Tomorrow Sunny..., I really liked the overall compactness of the CD,  So many CDs these days want to give you more, more, more, and then some, but this one seems content with its almost LP-length format (two nice sides). And, I appreciated the sequencing of the tracks -- with "So Pleased, No Clue" being a gem of a track/Threadgill alto piece sandwiched between songs that by virtue of title or length signaled themselves to be more "important" to the whole project.  Flawlessly conceived, beautifully executed, and content with itself, Tomorrow Sunny might be a perfect CD in a "more is more" world.

Enter, the self-aware double CD In for a Penny, In for a Pound.  After one listen, I have to say, it, too, is a beautiful record.  It is not going to have the "punch" for me that Tomorrow Sunny did,  In some ways it reminds with of earlier Zooid -- just with longer pieces.  Although In for a Penny does not exploit its 2 CDs for maximum length or price (no clue why the MP3 is more, myself),, maybe more is more.  I will have to give it some time to see if it becomes more cherished than Tomorrow Sunny, but after one listen, I can see myself playing this a ton in the weeks, months, etc. ahead, once I turn off Tomorrow Sunny to which I am listening while I write this.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been listening to You Know the Number and Easily Slip into Another World (from the Mosaic box).  Not only are they GREAT, but surprisingly accessible.

:tup In general i find his music to be very accessible. There's just something straight up catchy about so much of it. A lot of 'avant' music is structured, sure, but Threadgill's music just seems to be structured in a particularly accessible/appealing way for some reason. The rhythms frequently straight up rock. His songs often have big, catchy hooks. If i was talking to a non-jazz fan who was in to Zappa and post-rock type stuff, maybe flirts with a bit of Sharrock etc, i'd happily recommend that they check out Threadgill.

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, sonnyhill said:

I just got back from the Threadgill Double Up performance at Roulette in Brooklyn.  Pi Recordings had his newest release Old Locks and Irregular Verbs for sale. 

i saw the event preview on roulette's site. are there 3 pianos in the group?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...