Henry Threadgill

paul secor

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried to get every Henry Threadgill album, ever since witnessing an amazing performance by Air at the Detroit Jazz Center in the fall of 1980.

My favorite Threadgill albums are "Just The Facts and Pass The Bucket", and "Too Much Sugar For a Dime". These are very compelling sessions. "X-75" is probably my next favorite. But all of the rest are very worthy of your time!

My favorite Threadgill albums are "Just The Facts and Pass The Bucket", and "Too Much Sugar For a Dime".

Those are the two I listen to the most as well. I agree with Chuck that the About Time records are key documents, of which Just The Facts... is perhaps the finest. And I'm surprised that no one mentioned Too Much Sugar... until now. That has got to be one of the most sui generis records ever. I mean, what kind of music is that? World Improv Jazz Groove Metal? Sometimes nothing else will do.

I have long been a fan of Threadgill and in fact one of my the first live jazz performances I experienced when I really started to obsess over the music was a performance by the sextett at Cornell Univ. in the late eighties.

Any reason more mention has not been made of the Air recordings? Seems to me that some of the music Threadgill made in collaborative trio with Fred Hopkins and Steve McCall is equally gratifying as the recordings made under his name alowe.

I have long been a fan of Threadgill and in fact one of my the first live jazz performances I experienced when I really started to obsess over the music was a performance by the sextett at Cornell Univ. in the late eighties.

Any reason more mention has not been made of the Air recordings? Seems to me that some of the music Threadgill made in collaborative trio with Fred Hopkins and Steve McCall is equally gratifying as the recordings made under his name alowe.

The greatness of Air was taken for granted by the originator(s) of the thread, though it's something that bears repeating whenever possible. :)

The greatness of Air was taken for granted by the originator(s) of the thread, though it's something that bears repeating whenever possible. :)

That is very true. Their "Air Lore" is far above the jazz history revival efforts of many other artists who will remain nameless. Live, they were incredible.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Fan of Air/Threadgill.

Own:

Rag, Bush and All

Spirit of Nuf Nuf

Too Much Sugar for a Dime

Save the Day

Makin a Move

Where's Your Cup?

From Air:

Airtime.

Rag Bush and All is still my favorite. The others take a little while to get used to, but as soon as you adjust, it is quite rewarding. Besides Rag, I dig Makin a Move a lot. To a degree, Too Much Sugar kind of reminds me of Ronald Shannon Jackson's Decoding Society, especially Red Warrior (they almost have a similar line up, although Jackson has three guitarists whereas Threadgill has two). Nonetheless, great music by one of jazz's originals.

Edited by Holy Ghost

Does Threadgill just not play out? I've never had the chance to see him.

He definitely plays in NYC... pay attention to the Jazz Gallery page.

I really regret not seeing him (or Steve Coleman) over the past few years.

Speak of the devil:

Friday - Sunday, May 18th - 20th: 9 & 10:30 p.m. ($20)

Henry Threadgill's ZOOID Buy Ticket

featuring Henry Threadgill - alto saxophone/flute, Liberty Ellman -guitar, Jose Davila - tuba/trombone, Dana Leong - cello/trombone, Rubin Kodheli - cello, Elliot Kavee - drums

Anybody else interested in going?

Guy

Edited by Guy

• 9 months later...
Guest bluenote82

Henry Threadgill is definitely different. He's got a very unique style and I'm finding I like his music more and more. Can anyone recommend anything by him that's maybe a little more accessible than his Make A Move stuff?

saalfelden2006.jpg

Edited by bluenote82

Guest bluenote82

I'll tell you who's got a little Threadgill influence Liberty Ellman and Vijay Iyer. What do you guys think?

Liberty Ellman

liberty2.jpg

Vijay Iyer

vijay.jpg

Hey have you all seen this YouTube video? Check it out:

Edited by bluenote82

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea. Henry has definitely created his own musical world. Not much valuable "pre-Air" but I recommend Muhal's Young At Heart/Wise In Time. Search out the About Time dates. They are all fine. Then buy the rest. :)

I've been sleeping on Mr.Threadgill! But just received "When Was That" on About Time Records--Amazing record!!! The owner of "About Time Records" gave me the vinyl :) He still has 3 Threadgill records/CD in stock in his basement, if anyone is interested :)

I'll be searching more out for sure!

• 5 weeks later...

I know it's daft asking about things you've already ordered but any thoughts on these 2 LPs I've just ordered. AMG is pretty positive about them for what it's worth

Subject to change

When was that both on About Time

Lately been spinning Rag bush... (Novus) and Air Time (nessa) and enjoying both greatly so I pulled the trigger on the two above. Good move?