Henry Threadgill

paul secor

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's daft asking about things you've already ordered but any thoughts on these 2 LPs I've just ordered. AMG is pretty positive about them for what it's worth

Subject to change

When was that both on About Time

Lately been spinning Rag bush... (Novus) and Air Time (nessa) and enjoying both greatly so I pulled the trigger on the two above. Good move?

Great move.

• 1 month later...

http://about-time-records.com/

The three Henry Threadgill Sextet albums are in stock, and there's a link to cadencebuilding.com on the website.

FWIW, Just the Facts and Pass the Bucket checked in at IIRC #74 in Ben Ratliff's 100 Greatest Jazz Records book and is on the Jazz at Lincoln Center/NEA curriculum.

When Was That? was the first Sextet recording, substitutes Brian Smith on piccolo bass for Diedre Murray.

Subject to Change is the third record in the series, with the brass players Rasul Siddik and Ray Anderson. Available only on LP at this time.

Interesting to read what people know and recall of Threadgill's recordings at this time. He made three more sextet recordings and added a third 't' to the group configuration before moving on to Very Very Circus. Too Much Sugar for a Dime is a superb record, IMO. Threadgill's music is distinctly his own, although it seems to travel through New Orleans in most every ensemble I've heard him organize, at least in some fashion. The composition 'Try Some Ammonia' on Too Much Sugar for a Dime could easily be covered by The Neville Brothers, and Air did an entire record of New Orleans Rags entitled Air Lore.

For anyone interested in Threadgill or the AACM, University of Chicago has just published 'AACM A Power Greater Than Itself' by trombonist George Lewis. I predict this will be one of the most important books you'll read about avant garde music in the second half of the XXth century.

Henry Threadgill is definitely different. He's got a very unique style and I'm finding I like his music more and more. Can anyone recommend anything by him that's maybe a little more accessible than his Make A Move stuff?

You might try "Too Much Sugar For a Dime", for something more accessible.

http://about-time-records.com/

The three Henry Threadgill Sextet albums are in stock, and there's a link to cadencebuilding.com on the website.

FWIW, Just the Facts and Pass the Bucket checked in at IIRC #74 in Ben Ratliff's 100 Greatest Jazz Records book and is on the Jazz at Lincoln Center/NEA curriculum.

When Was That? was the first Sextet recording, substitutes Brian Smith on piccolo bass for Diedre Murray.

Subject to Change is the third record in the series, with the brass players Rasul Siddik and Ray Anderson. Available only on LP at this time.

Interesting to read what people know and recall of Threadgill's recordings at this time. He made three more sextet recordings and added a third 't' to the group configuration before moving on to Very Very Circus. Too Much Sugar for a Dime is a superb record, IMO. Threadgill's music is distinctly his own, although it seems to travel through New Orleans in most every ensemble I've heard him organize, at least in some fashion. The composition 'Try Some Ammonia' on Too Much Sugar for a Dime could easily be covered by The Neville Brothers, and Air did an entire record of New Orleans Rags entitled Air Lore.

For anyone interested in Threadgill or the AACM, University of Chicago has just published 'AACM A Power Greater Than Itself' by trombonist George Lewis. I predict this will be one of the most important books you'll read about avant garde music in the second half of the XXth century.

Wow! That link reminds me what a great label About Time Records is.

Mucho discussion about Geo's book here. Thanks for stopping by with the update. Come back, get a feel for the place and participate.

I wish there was more to report, but in the future there will be. Your words of welcome are appreciated. I couldn't find a thread on George Lewis' book quickly, and just thought I'd mention it.

Mucho discussion about Geo's book here. Thanks for stopping by with the update. Come back, get a feel for the place and participate.

I wish there was more to report, but in the future there will be. Your words of welcome are appreciated. I couldn't find a thread on George Lewis' book quickly, and just thought I'd mention it.

Welcome to the board ATR! Here's the discussion on G. Lewis' AACM book.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1432

Edited by Holy Ghost

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's daft asking about things you've already ordered but any thoughts on these 2 LPs I've just ordered. AMG is pretty positive about them for what it's worth

Subject to change

When was that both on About Time

Lately been spinning Rag bush... (Novus) and Air Time (nessa) and enjoying both greatly so I pulled the trigger on the two above. Good move?

Great move.

All three About Time LPs are superb IMO, joyous swinging music, highly recommended, nice to see that at least 2 are available on CD. Great sound on the LPs though.

Dunno if you guys discuss boots here (although if not I'm sure I'll find out shortly) but some of the best Threadgill I've ever heard (and I go back to the early Air days) are three recordings of concerts by his Society Situation Dance Band recorded in the late 80s and 90s. It was a large group (20+) of shifting members (Stubblefield, Daniels, Zollar, Craig Harris, Frank Lacy, Wadud, Burnham, Jenkins, AkLaff, Ross, Jenour....) that played some of the most accessible and joyous Threadgill ever. I've heard this group knocked 'em dead in NYC and a legit recording was in the works until the robber barons at Sony got cold feet [edit]confirmed in the linked article.

Maybe some other posters have more insight but this is primo stuff.

I've seen him a couple times; once was an early version of Very, Very Circus and, when I came out of the concert I felt like I had a new insight into the ways of making music. Very rarely do I feel that way.

Edited by Captain Hate

Dunno if you guys discuss boots here (although if not I'm sure I'll find out shortly)

We definitely discuss 'em -- good music is good music! -- but circulating them or soliciting for them publicly is against forum rules.

I have a few unofficial Threadgill recordings from the 80s but have not listened to them in a while. I may have to revisit.

Guy

Guest Bill Barton

Ok fair enough; I'm sure I'm not the only person to have heard the Society Situation Dance Band and will wait for any comments.

Indeed not... I have one of the concerts that kicks some serious butt. I'm in the throes of moving right now and everything is in storage. As soon as I get settled I'll have to haul out that SSDB CD-R and check it out again. Thanks for reminding me of how cool it is!

And welcome aboard here at the Big O.

Been listening to a lot of Air lately (thanks to landing two Air cd's within a two weeks time) and I'm just amazed at how good of a band they were. Air Lore is really an interesting album, not something you'd expect from this band but rewarding nonetheless. I still have to give the edge to Air Time, which is a brilliant record. Threadgill is really a true talent and a treasure to jazz.

• 10 months later...

Unless I missed something, it seems like a long time since the last two Henry Threadgill recordings came out.

Yes, indeed! I think that there was some sort of LP-only recordings that got released after that, but still....

Henry T. is too valuable for jazz not to be making records. Does anybody know the story here? Is it just that he has no label?

Unless I missed something, it seems like a long time since the last two Henry Threadgill recordings came out.

Yes, indeed! I think that there was some sort of LP-only recordings that got released after that, but still....

Henry T. is too valuable for jazz not to be making records. Does anybody know the story here? Is it just that he has no label?

IIRC, there's no label that will give him a deal he can live with so he hasn't been recording.

Henry Threadgill's gotten a fair number of mentions on this Board (tho not enough), but even though Air had a thread, I couldn't find a thread devoted entirely to Mr. Threadgill. So unless I overlooked something, this is it.

I recently purchased Song Out of My Trees on Black Saint, ..................about Mr. Threadgill's work - with Air, pre-Air, and post Air - so fire away.

Late post on my part but I'm a big Threadgill fan also. Seen him a number of times and I've always dug his creative vibes and work.

farber3.jpg