Fred Jackson, "Hootin' And Tootin'"

Shrdlu

Here's a gem that you don't hear about much.

I first saw it in a 1967 BN catalog that they mailed me when I took the "For free catalog ... " offer literally. I thought "Fred who?" and passed over it for years.

Fred may have shot himself in the foot with the title, as it gives the impression that it's a "yackety sax"/"meathead macho tenor" album. I don't think it went anywhere when it was issued on LP. Perhaps many others thought as I did.

I first got to hear this when I got a copy of the Conn CD, and I now have the TOCJ.

This is actually an outstanding session. As with the famous "It's Friday ... but Sunday's Comin'" sermon by the black preacher, there's nothing there that's really new, but it's all done so well that it's a ball to hear. The compositions are all by Fred, and they're all simple things, but this album successfully avoids the pitfalls of a routine blowing session. Everything is so satisfying! I must have played it 20 times by now, but it really holds your attention. A big reason for the album's sucess is that the guys regularly worked together in an R & B band. The rhythm section is sooo tight. And I love Jackson on tenor. It's a shame that he's never been heard of since. (He is hidden in the ensemble on the Hutcherson "Montara" album, but has no solos.)

After hearing this, I wondered why I had never heard of the organist, Earl Vandyke, who is excellent. The AMG guide says that he was used on many a pop session. This album was a rare chance fo him to blow.

By the time that this album was released, Alfred Lion (who was very pleased with it) had recorded another session with the same lineup and Sam Jones added on bass. The second session went unreleased until the Conn CD came out. Although I am against using a bass fiddle with a B-3, the second session is also a gem.

Funny, I just listened to Baby Face Willette's BN date FACE TO FACE yesterday, on which Jackson is prominent and in fine form. Not quite up to the level of HOOTIN' AND TOOTIN' IMHO, but damn fine. Grant Green on board to boot, firmly in his "these are my pet funky organ jazz gig licks and I'm going to play them hard for you...now you've heard them many times before, I know, but hell, I'm still wringing them for every last ounce of emotion, sporting that beautiful beefy yet fragile singing tone, and I KNOW you never heard me put 'em in these here little Baby Face comp and Ben Dixon engine house nooks and crannies before...so, ah, let's just get in the groove and save the fancy schmantzy runs for dates like SOLID" mode.

Edited by DrJ

For my taste, Jackson's strongest playing besides his own two sessions on the Connoisseur CD is on Baby Face Willette's Face to face, also a Connoisseur CD. Besides, Willette is a more original organist than Van Dyke. Or perhaps I prefer his more boppish approach ... ;)

Grant Green on board to boot, firmly in his "these are my pet funky organ jazz gig licks and I'm going to play them hard for you...now you've heard them many times before, I know, but hell, I'm still wringing them for every last ounce of emotion, sporting that beautiful beefy yet fragile singing tone, and I KNOW you never heard me put 'em in these here little Baby Face comp and Ben Dixon engine house nooks and crannies before...so, ah, let's just get in the groove and save the fancy schmantzy runs for dates like SOLID" mode.

Funny, I thought he was in his "how many times can I play this note over and over again before anyone will notice?" mode.

:P

I'm just messin' with ya!

Parenthetical story about this date-when I first discovered New York's Jazz Record Center, I was talking to the owner, Fred Cohen. This was the time when Toshiba was putting out LPs rather than CDs and I was happy to pay $25 or $30 for them. I asked him about these reissues and he complained specifically about Hootin and Tootin because he knew it was a title that collector's really really wanted but he was shocked and distressed that no one seemed to want to buy these Japanese repressings-they wanted the original only!

I have the JRVG of this and really dig it. I was disappointed to learn, after buying it, that the Conn had bonus tracks from another session. I'd really love to hear them, but I rarely upgrade my CD's from one mastering to another. In any case, the JRVG sounds good and this album is highly recommended. :tup

The extra session is worth the price of admission alone. But then, I'm always biased towards Sam Jones! ;)

Tight. Cookin'. And, of course, GREEEEEEEEAZY as the pan I cooked the bacon in today! And I really dig the sanctified feel of it. The gospel roots are in full proud display.

It is a pity this album isn't discussed more often. But I'm tellin' ya right now, whenever I need a good dose of some greeeeeazy blues, this is my first choice! :tup

One of the great underrated BN session. I got acquainted with that 'Rootin and

Tootin' album through the Japanese Toshiba LP reissue. Couple of years later,

I ran into an original copy and bought it at a very reasonable price.

Then when it came out on CD with extra tracks, I had to get that one.

Have this in three versions. I paid my dues.

Brownie, how would you compare the sounds on the Conn, TOCJ and JRVG? As usual, the TOCJ is excellent. I have not heard the JRVG. The Conn sounds fine to me, and, of course, it is the only source of the unissued April 62 session. It's just as well that the sound is good on that, as we won't be seeing it anywhere else.

For the record, for those who don't know, the rhythm sections from these two Jackson sessions were used by Ike Quebec for some of his "45" recordings - these were in the Mosaic 2 CD set.

Also, as well as appearing on the Willette session, Fred was on two John Patton albums ("The Way I Feel", where he also plays fine baritone on one track, and "Along Came John").

After hearing this, I wondered why I had never heard of the organist, Earl Vandyke, who is excellent. The AMG guide says that he was used on many a pop session. This album was a rare chance fo him to blow.Posted on Jul 28 2003, 09:22 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's Patton's "The Way That I Feel"? (Wouldn't that be a nice Rare Groove?) I only have "Along Came John" and like it quite well.

Vandyke was one of the original "Funk Brothers", the band that is the subject of the movie "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown". If you like any of the Motown hit songs, this movie is a must see. The DVD is readily available to rent or purchase.

"The Way I Feel" is my favorite album by Big John. I pray for this to be released domestically.

After hearing this, I wondered why I had never heard of the organist, Earl Vandyke, who is excellent. The AMG guide says that he was used on many a pop session. This album was a rare chance fo him to blow.Posted on Jul 28 2003, 09:22 AM

How's Patton's "The Way That I Feel"? (Wouldn't that be a nice Rare Groove?) I only have "Along Came John" and like it quite well.

Vandyke was one of the original "Funk Brothers", the band that is the subject of the movie "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown". If you like any of the Motown hit songs, this movie is a must see. The DVD is readily available to rent or purchase.

"The Way I Feel" is my favorite album by Big John. I pray for this to be released domestically.

If you can't wait for "The Way I Feel" to be released domestically, pick up the TOCJ. It's not terribly hard to find and sounds great. I would rank a couple of other Patton sessions above it, but it's still very good. :tup

If you can't wait for "The Way I Feel" to be released domestically, pick up the TOCJ. It's not terribly hard to find and sounds great. I would rank a couple of other Patton sessions above it, but it's still very good. :tup

The Way I Feel is available throught Dustygoove as a japanese paper sleeve edition right now. :D

The Way I Feel is available throught Dustygoove as a japanese paper sleeve edition right now. :D

Like I said, the TOCJ sounds great and... :P

I think I'll give us a break from those nesting tables! :D

King, I love "The Way I Feel". It's perhaps my favorite Patton album. I agree with you, Vibes, that the TOCJ [is great [is great [is great]]]. My favorite track is the title track, which is the one on which Fred plays baritone. He really digs in on the big horn. Great stuff.

I was dying to pick this one up after hearing the Willette, which really grabbed my attention. He was every bit as good on his recording. Shame, there's not more out there of his, either as sideman or leader. Same goes for Harold Vick, although I believe there's a few more dates where he's a sideman.

Brownie, how would you compare the sounds on the Conn, TOCJ and JRVG? As usual, the TOCJ is excellent. I have not heard the JRVG. The Conn sounds fine to me, and, of course, it is the only source of the unissued April 62 session. It's just as well that the sound is good on that, as we won't be seeing it anywhere else.

Shrdlu, give me time to listen to these again. Pleasure will be mine!

From what I recall, the original LP had the best sound, with the Toshiba LP

a very close second.

When I got the Conn, I went straight to the unreleased tracks.

That second, unreleased, session has a funny vibe to it. Jackson's tone sounds MUCH different, like he had changed his mouthpiece, or maybe showed up really loaded. Either way, bad career move for somebody who didn't have a "name" yet.

On a happier note, his playing of FACE TO FACE is at time a glimpse into a secret world of tenordom - the world of the EXPERT R&B exciter. I treasure that album, and "Whatever Lola Wants" is one of those cuts that I have, and will continue to, repeat by itself for hours on end, days at a time. There is a SERIOUS mojo going on there.

The Way I Feel is gonna be part of the Patton Mosaic Select this fall. It's a HECKUVA session!!! Jackson burns throughout.

The track listing for the Select indicates that this session will be paired with ALONG CAME JOHN, which also features Jackson. In anticipation, I put my two copies onto one disc and listened to it all the way through. One thing you can say about Jackson is he's consistent: he never lets up, never lets down. Just good solid greeeeaze all the way through. His solo on "The Silver Meter" is extremely funky!

That one track on the Conn compilation, is that all that's left from Jackson as a leader?

Sadly enough, it is. There were a handful of 78's, some are on Delmark's Honkers and Bar Wailers, Vol.1.

Besides his own and Baby Face Willette's and John Patton's Blue Notes, there seems to be nothing. Must have dropped off the scene.

The Fred Jackson playing woodwinds on dozens of LA studio sessions is a different musician.