Al Foster

mikeweil

Tonight I had the pleasure to listen to master drummer Al Foster's quartet, with Eli Degibri on soprano and tenor saxes, Kevin Hayes on piano and Doug Weiss on bass. Hayes, Weiss and Foster are a helluva rhythm section.

Did anybody hear them in the US? This is at least their third European tour, and their two CDs are on European labels as well:

B00000AFYQ.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This CD has Dave Kikowski playing piano. Seems to me like another case of an American jazz master without a record contract ...

1107.jpg

Although it's Potter's CD, it's Al's band .....

Edited by mikeweil

Some great Al Foster can be found on Dave Liebman's "Pendulum". I don't think it's ever been out on CD yet, at least in the US. It burns! A great version of "Footprints" with a long Al Foster solo that will impress you even if you don't normally like drum solos. W/Randy Brecker, Richie Beirach, I think Frank Tusa and some great 70's looking attire on the album photos.

Al is one of those guys, like Dave Holland - who's name on a CD is guarenteed to get me to give it a second look, and probably get me to at least give it a test-spin -- even if I've never heard of any other cat on the disc.

Maybe Al Foster isn't "the" greatest drummer alive today, but I've never heard a recording he was on, where he wasn't one of the best guys on the date - no matter who was on it, even huge names.