Jazz Wave, Ltd. on Tour, Vol. 1

Daniel A

Has anyone heard, or even seen this LP? And was there ever a volume 2?

Side 3 seems sort of short...

Blue Note BST 89905 - Jazz Wave, Ltd. on Tour, Vol. 1

West Germany, December, 1969

Side 1:

'Don't Get Sassy' (10:00) - Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Orchestra

'Reza' (12:15) - Jeremy Steig (fl) Ron Carter (b) Louis Hayes (d)

Side 2:

'Greensleeves' (5:00) - Kenny Burrell (g) Richard Davis (b) Mel Lewis (d)

'Body and Soul' (10:00) - Freddie Hubbard (tp) Roland Hanna (p) Ron Carter (b) Louis Hayes (d)

Side 3:

'Slow But Sure' (5:50) - Jones-Lewis Orch. plus Jimmy McGriff (org)

'People' (2:41) - Kenny Burrell (g)

Side 4:

'Finale (Once Around)' (16:00) - all the above

nbn4%20227.jpg

Edited by Daniel A

I have it. Got it as a cutout back in the day.

Very good stuff, but perversely short playing time.

"Don't Get Sassy" features a lenghty (& delirous) extended Joe Henderson solo. Worth the cost of admission for that one alone.

No Volume 2 that I know of. I've heard stories that that tour was a "source of friction" between the players and Sonny Lester.

I have a burn from a board member. Nothing special.

Edit: If you respect Jim's opinion more than mine, then by all means, go find a copy! ;)

:g

Well, other than the truly fine Jones/Lewis stuff & (occasionally) the Hubbard cut, I don't listen to it much, simply because there's really nothing to listen to, the cuts are so short. The Steig thing is ok at best, but you can get better Steig in any number of places. But a 2:41 solo Burrell piece ("People" no less!), what are you gonna do with that other than recognize its existence? Or include it as a CD bonus cut. But where? The McGriffcut is a tasty item, but w/o context in the album. Again, what are you gonna do with that?

BTW - the tour wsa the same one that resulted in two MPS albums - The Hub Of Hubbard & Richard Davis' Muses For Richard Davis. Both are fine albums that probably/hopefully capture the energy of the tour better than this Lester-released "document'.

"Don't Get Sassy" features a lenghty (& delirous) extended Joe Henderson solo. Worth the cost of admission for that one alone.

That track is also in the Joe Henderson "Blue Note Years" 4CD box, where the liner notes omit the "Vol.1" in the album name. That could be another indication that there has been no other volume.

• 12 years later...

Many years later I actually found it very cheaply at legendary Stockholm second hand jazz store Andra Jazz.

A question regarding the Jimmy McGriff tune on the very short side three: it is labeled as Slow but Sure (by Manny Albam) but is very clearly Li'l Darlin'. What's up with that?

Edited by Daniel A

Probably. Did such practices appear "shameless" to the average record buyer back in the day, or didn't people pay much attention to an incorrect song title?

Edit: Would still like to know the answer to the question above, but now I'm leaning towards a plain human error, since McGriff played both songs with a big band on a Sonny Lester-produced Solid State album a few years prior - he probably did them both also on this tour and somebody put the wrong title for the selected performance. 

If enough average record buyers minded, it wouldn't be the music business we all know and love. :)

However, your theory is not without merit, although the cynic in me thinks that they could just as easily have caught the error but said fuck it, let's see who complains. And of course, nobody probably did, because I don't know that a whole lot of anybody was paying attention to this record (the JAZZ WAVE one) at the time.

MI0000727641.jpg

MI0002671465.jpg