Brother Jack McDuff "Live!"

DMP

Not that you haven't already long ago figured this out, but George Benson (in the interview in the recently released "Essential...") (a nice collection, by the way - sort of unexpected) confirms that the McDuff "Live" album was indeed recorded in a studio, although with an audience present. (Shades of Captitol Records!) And Joe Dukes told me (many, many years ago) that the follow-up ("Live at the Jazz Workshop") wasn't recorded there, although I didn't press him for the details. No big deal, anyone could figure out from listening that there was something fishy going on.

Not that you haven't already long ago figured this out, but George Benson (in the interview in the recently released "Essential...") (a nice collection, by the way - sort of unexpected) confirms that the McDuff "Live" album was indeed recorded in a studio, although with an audience present. (Shades of Captitol Records!) And Joe Dukes told me (many, many years ago) that the follow-up ("Live at the Jazz Workshop") wasn't recorded there, although I didn't press him for the details. No big deal, anyone could figure out from listening that there was something fishy going on.

Ummm...okay. Great music, even so.

Other fake live albums, anyone?

• 11 years later...

Haven't seen this thread before. When I spoke to Bob Porter in '96, he confirmed that the album was recorded at the Front Room in Newark, but the tape was screwed up in some way so they did it again, with the audience, in the studio. There are two versions of some tracks and I've occasionally wondered if those that appeared on other albums were actually surviving bits of what was really recorded at the Front Room.

MG