Need Mediocre (soundwise) Jazz Reissues

vodka

Greetings friends,

Here is the thing - recently, after a long and stressful search, I upgraded my stereo equipment. I tried to put together a system which, among other things, would make crappy jazz reissues sound acceptable. So far, I think, for the most part I have succeeded.

Now, for additional tests I need recommendations of badly (thin, bright, compressed, etc) remastered CDs, especially by RVG.

Thank you very much in advance.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but this is one of the worst sounding modern studio recordings I've ever heard.

B0000015RD.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

You're not kidding about the wretched sound quality. I actually had a burn of the lp which sounded great.

Like a total idiot I gave it away when I got the cd ! :angry:

Now, for additional tests I need recommendations of badly (thin, bright, compressed, etc) remastered CDs, especially by RVG.

If RVG is a must, I second "A Fickle Sonance".

I have a number of remastered Prestige/OJC CDs with Richard Alderson as original recording engineer. Alderson's always good for crappy sound, though I suspect the problems stem from the original recordings rather than the remasters. That said, Barry Harris's "Luminescence" CD sounds really horrible, especially the trio selections (much as I like Harris, I find the CD almost unlistenable). Many other Alderson efforts could be cited, the piano suffering out of proportion to the other instruments.

Greetings friends,

Here is the thing - recently, after a long and stressful search, I upgraded my stereo equipment. I tried to put together a system which, among other things, would make crappy jazz reissues sound acceptable. So far, I think, for the most part I have succeeded.

So what have you put together as a stereo system?

I'm a Decware user . . . www.decware.com . . . have their modified cd player, Zbox, EL34 Monoblock amps and Radial speakers. The flexibility of the latter has really meant that I enjoy cd playback more than ever before.

Curious to the solution you've found. . . . Thanks.

Just curious - what happens when you play good sounding recordings on a system that makes crappy sounding recordings sound acceptable?

Please make no mistake here - when I said crappy becomes acceptable I didn't mean that really bad CDs turn into XRCDs. It's just something like Tolliver's "Impact" or McLean's "A Fickle Sonance" become more listenable, less shrill and digital.

As for the good recordings - they sound fantastic.

Greetings friends,

So what have you put together as a stereo system?

I'm a Decware user . . . www.decware.com . . . have their modified cd player, Zbox, EL34 Monoblock amps and Radial speakers. The flexibility of the latter has really meant that I enjoy cd playback more than ever before.

Curious to the solution you've found. . . . Thanks.

You have a nice gear. I believe your amps are SET.

I got Italian hybrid integrated Unico SE by Unison Research and French Audio Aero Prima tube CDP. I didn't replace my speakers which are Vandersteen 2 Signatures, because I love them. And for the first time I have actually started to enjoy many RVGs ;)