OOP Blue Notes spotted in D.C. area

CD depot in College Park had three copies of Wahoo and one of Flight To Jordan for $13.99.

I already have the former and will not pick up the latter because I am boycotting Duke Jordan on principle (as a leader, not sideman - I'm not crazy!).

I did get Miles Davis's No More Blues on Jazz Door for $10, however. That's one I hadn't seen in years. The sound is ragged, though...

Bertrand.

Judging by the comments in the Miles autobio, the feeling was mutual.

I have read quite a bit about Jordan having an obnoxious disposition--on the old board Victor Christensen mentioned something to that effect (Jordan lives in Copenhagen now).

Edited by Big Wheel

Judging by the comments in the Miles autobio, the feeling was mutual.

I have read quite a bit about Jordan having an obnoxious disposition--on the old board Victor Christensen mentioned something to that effect (Jordan lives in Copenhagen now).

Jeez, if we all started boycotting artists because of their perceived "asshole-ness", we wouldn't have much of a collection! :) Let's face it, Miles was a jerk, plain & simple. I would never avoid his work because of this.

Bertrand, what is the story with the boycott of Duke Jordan's leader dates, anyway? Enquiring minds and all that.

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

A lot of musicians are a-holes and have been quoted as saying really nasty things - Miles being just about the worst...

Except that Duke Jordan takes the absolute cake. Of course, Miles said some nasty things about his playing in the 'autobiography', but Jordan's response was way out of line and utterly tasteless. I'm alluding to an interview I read where he was so mad at Miles that he said he hoped he would get AIDS. Since that may be what happened to Miles anyway (there have been rumors, but I don't want to dredge that up), it's in particularly poor taste. Miles notwithstanding, it's also in poor taste for the millions around the world who have died or lost a loved one to this horrible disease.

That's why I'm boycotting this loser's sessions as a leader.

I'll keep the sideman dates - no way I'm parting with True Blue!

Bertrand.