Jimmy Giuffre Verve sessions

Lars Gullin & Bengt Hallberg Metronome sessions

Lars Gullin & Bengt Hallberg Phillips sessions

Joe Harriott Jazzland & Columbia sessions

Bobby Jaspar & Henri Renaud Vogue sessions

Jimmy Raney ABC-Paramount sessions

Sonny Rollins-Don Cherry 1963 European tour sessions

Lucky Thompson ABC-Paramount sessions

Along the lines of the MJQ box, I'd like to see a John Lewis on Atlantic box. It might force a reevaluation of all this interesting stuff, especially with a well-written booklet.

I agree

I've been picking up his Atlantic releases released via Japan this year (5 so far) - with 5 more to be released in Jan/Feb 2013

I'd love that too, Clunky. Not holding out hope, however.

High on my list is a Konitz Verve with the complete Half Note performances.

that was mentioned (Verve set) as a likely candidate years ago

Bob Brookmeyer Verve sessions

Miles Davis 1960 European tour sessions

Jimmy Giuffre Verve sessions

Lars Gullin & Bengt Hallberg Metronome sessions

Lars Gullin & Bengt Hallberg Phillips sessions

Joe Harriott Jazzland & Columbia sessions

Bobby Jaspar & Henri Renaud Vogue sessions

Jimmy Raney ABC-Paramount sessions

Sonny Rollins-Don Cherry 1963 European tour sessions

Lucky Thompson ABC-Paramount sessions

Giuffre, Brookmeyer, Thompson & Harriott are high on my list too

Dragon have been doing a long term Gullin reissue program (up to Vol. 11) - doubt whether Mosaic would touch this

The Spanish have done the Rollins/Cherry material

Most of the Jaspar/Renaud material has been released on Vogue (black digipak series)

My mother-in-law is 95 and swears by vinegar as a cure-all for darn near anything.

Then again, she dowsn't know Phil Woods from Phil Silvers, so she may not know as much as she think she does. But it kinda looks like the people who would know for sure will all be dead before they get to call her bluff, so...outlasting the speculators FTW, please.

Listening to the new Mingus set (which I think is or will be one of the fast-selling sets*) makes me wish for a set with more of the European 1964 concerts with audio attention by Malcolm Addey. I'm not sure what would be involved in getting these into a set via Sue Mingus, but I'd love love to see them.

*I say this because I pre-ordered the first day you could online and received set #849.

Edited by jazzbo

Listening to the new Mingus set (which I think is or will be one of the fast-selling sets*) makes me wish for a set with more of the European 1964 concerts with audio attention by Malcolm Addey. I'm not sure what would be involved in getting these into a set via Sue Mingus, but I'd love love to see them.

*I say this because I pre-ordered the first day you could online and received set #849.

Straight from the horse's mouth (and I'm paraphrasing): "Now that the sets come shipped from a third-party warehouse with pre-printed numbers, there is absolutely no correlation between time of order placement and number received. As a matter of fact, even if you were the first to order a particular set, you could still end up with # 2000. The numbers are only there to signify that the sets are limited editions."

I guess this is bad news for all the ebay sellers out there!

Okay, thanks John. I don't care about numbering other than an indicator of how many units sold, now we don't have that info from the numbering.

I do see more initial comments online about this set than a few other recent sets and I have a feeling it got quite a lot of pre-orders. Just a feeling though.

Still would love to see more 1964 Mingus from Mosaic.

Straight from the horse's mouth (and I'm paraphrasing): "Now that the sets come shipped from a third-party warehouse with pre-printed numbers, there is absolutely no correlation between time of order placement and number received. As a matter of fact, even if you were the first to order a particular set, you could still end up with # 2000. The numbers are only there to signify that the sets are limited editions."

I guess this is bad news for all the ebay sellers out there!

Anyone reselling the Mingus set should be shot. A masterpiece.

• 5 months later...

How about a Lee Konitz with the Stan Kenton band box?

'52/'53 saw one of the very best of the Kenton bands, with Lee as star soloist. There are many fine studio tracks on Capitol (plus alternates) and there are a least a dozen broadcast cds with reasonable sound on a variety of labels, and probably more. This is one of Lee's most creative periods, and the setting seemed to stimulate him (beyond mere survival) to produce some truly remarkable improvisation which should be cohesively documented.

Q

Illionois Jacquet Verve/Argo

Sonny Stitt on Verve

Shorty Rogers on RCA

Three Sounds on Blue Note

I'd also like a complete Fats Waller. It's all under the Sony BMG banner now and the last masterings are very old. Sadly with all the EU PD editions around I can't see it ever being done properly.

Illionois Jacquet Verve/Argo

Sonny Stitt on Verve

Shorty Rogers on RCA

Three Sounds on Blue Note

I'd also like a complete Fats Waller. It's all under the Sony BMG banner now and the last masterings are very old. Sadly with all the EU PD editions around I can't see it ever being done properly.

Those are great suggestions! I would love another Jacquet or Stitt set.