Tamboo

Caribbean Moonlight

Ports of Pleasure

African Jazz

Jungle Jazz

The Sacred Idol

Jewels of the Sea

8 LPs on 4 CDs.

Of course, even if they were cool enough to do this, the cover art would be ugly, as all the others are, and I wouldn't buy it.

Still, a girl can dream, can't she?

it's all following capitalist logic, I'm afraid.

That's why I wish EU copyright law wasn't the way it was. If the rights were still in the exclusive hands of the majors there would be more of an incentive for them to release or license them. As it is pre-1963 sessions can't be legitimately released without the danger of being immediately and legally booted by dozens of fly-by-night companies -- and they are ALL ropey outfits IMO, no exceptions.

The majors had been able to issue tons of material on CD in the eighties, nineties and naughties, before it went out of copyright and didn't. What makes you think that, without EU copyright law allowing the issue of this material, any of it would have come out, or would come out if things weren't as they are?

The majors own heaps of great music recorded in the 70s and 80s by the West African branches of Decca UK, Philips, Polydor (all with Universal now) and EMI. Mere scratchings of it are available. The same seems to be true for a lot of Latin American music - Colombian recordings seem to be the rarest, though I'm no expert in this.

The rule of my record collecting life has been to avoid the recordings of the major companies as much as I could. So they bought up the indies and treated the material much as they treated their own material. 'I'll be glad when you're dead, you rascal you'.

MG

Don't laugh at this, The Complete Fire House Five Plus Two on Good Time Records. Would be interesting given the Mosaic treatment and especially session notes and background details.

The Complete Santo Pecora on Clef and Southland Records.

Less BN, more Pacific Jazz releases which there's been several already, but how about some Contemporary label stuff? Still plenty of good stuff for Mosaic to release yet!

What makes you think that, without EU copyright law allowing the issue of this material, any of it would have come out, or would come out if things weren't as they are

Nothing. I just said there would be more of an incentive. I would suggest that there be additionally some form of tax break for majors if they license to third parties, just to get the stuff out there and propogate the culture. Much better than trashing great art in a public domain free-for-all.

Don't laugh at this, The Complete Fire House Five Plus Two on Good Time Records. Would be interesting given the Mosaic treatment and especially session notes and background details.

As a guy who loves New Orleans jazz, I can't get on board with you with the Firehouse Five. I have twelve minutes of music by them in my record collection (one 45 and one 78), and that's more than enough.

Now a Santo Pecora set - that's an interesting idea....

Chico. Hamilton. Complete. Impulse. Recordings.

I don't know that work too well but feel like if it had the Mosaic treatment, I'd learn it. Or whatever part of it I could learn.

Believe me, that Hamilton group is worth learning. Seriously underrated.

I do tend to agree ... but some of it is sketchy and smartass overproduced, I think. The best of it is darn good, though ... Bohanon, Lloyd, Szabo, Stinson - that was a great band! Actually my mom's UK (I think) edition of "Passin' Thru" was the very first Chico I ever heard (and I think amongst my very first jazz experiences as a listener). There's also the Columbia "Drumfusion" which belongs with the first of the Impulses.

Another nice idea would have been a Select with all the Dolphy material. Sketchy too, and too many short tunes with no real room for blowing, but the best of it is mighty good, and most of it is at least interesting.

Two things on European reissues.

1) Very occasionally these are legitimate non-PD, as with the Fresh Sound releases licensed from RCA.

2) The majors are in Europe too (EMI Blue Note!) and if they wished could reissue more, here, without having to pay the artists. Euro-Mosaics come to mind. I think they basically don't because it isn't worth the cost of doing the remastering etc. to any kind of standard and their business models don't allow for the trickle of sales which these issues would generate.

I know there are 'answers' to the two things I just said but they are worth mentioning.

Less BN, more Pacific Jazz releases which there's been several already, but how about some Contemporary label stuff? Still plenty of good stuff for Mosaic to release yet!

I love the FHF+2, but all their stuff was available on cd (at least for a while) when Fantasy owned the Good Time Jazz material, and I think you can still pick most of it up from various sellers. I have it and enjoy it! Mosaic has yet to do much of anything from the old Fantasy/Prestige/Riverside family of labels. Not sure why. Hans?

gregmo

I love the FHF+2, but all their stuff was available on cd (at least for a while) when Fantasy owned the Good Time Jazz material, and I think you can still pick most of it up from various sellers. I have it and enjoy it! Mosaic has yet to do much of anything from the old Fantasy/Prestige/Riverside family of labels. Not sure why. Hans?

gregmo

It's the session and the liner notes that would be interesting on FH5. Very well produced albums too, and weren't they the biggest selling band on any of Les Koenig's labels for a time?

Aye, more Prestige and Riverside box sets too.

As a guy who loves New Orleans jazz, I can't get on board with you with the Firehouse Five. I have twelve minutes of music by them in my record collection (one 45 and one 78), and that's more than enough.

Now a Santo Pecora set - that's an interesting idea....

The FH5 concept albums: ....By The Sea, Crashes A Party, et al are excellent albums IMO. But of course, they're never going to get rid of being tainted as literally a Mickey-Mouse house band.

Santo Pecora is under represented at present and would make a great box set, or maybe even two, perhaps we should petition Mr Cuscuna?

What makes you think that, without EU copyright law allowing the issue of this material, any of it would have come out, or would come out if things weren't as they are

Nothing. I just said there would be more of an incentive. I would suggest that there be additionally some form of tax break for majors if they license to third parties, just to get the stuff out there and propogate the culture. Much better than trashing great art in a public domain free-for-all.

Sounds like you'd prefer not to have music available at all, rather than listen to 'trashed' versions. Have you never bought an LP that's been trashed but is playable? I've got lots :D

MG

Didn't know that! Masters of Jazz, one of those abominable euro-pd labels (huh, really? all of 'em?), got about halfway there.

(typo edited)

Didn't Proper also do a 4CD Wardell set?

Yes. And though I don't care for Proper, the music selected isn't bad. I can't (obviously) speak to sound and production quality.