Sets you wish Mosaic would do

Highly unlikely given Michael Cuscuna's tastes, but I would also like to see:

Cal Tjader on Verve

Forget it. There have been considerations many years ago and inquiries, but Universal said they weren't interested. Hip-O-Select? I dunno ...

That's strange. Mosaic is interested but Universal is not? I thought Universal would license Mosaic anything. A Hip-O would be nice.

Edited by crisp

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Don Byas Mosaic. Yes, his stuff was reissued, throught mostly European labels, but if you can get Malcolm Addey's hands on them.......

Another vote for this. Would be especially nice to have his 40's discography straightened out.

I could be totally wrong, but I doubt Mosaic would do a Don Byas set; I think the research and licensing cost would be too high with all those labels he recorded for, it probably wouldn't be cost-effective - unless someone would sponsor the whole project, of course :)

Edited by J.A.W.

Another "vote" for a Wardell set!
I'd love to see a "Count Basie at the Royal Roost - The Complete Recordings", as there's still a lot of unissued material from Boris Rose's collection.

And a Teddy Wilson (minus Billie) set would be fantastic.

Masters of Jazz of course put out five CDs exactly like this: two volumes of "The Legendary Small Groups", and three volumes of "Teddy and the Girls".

Another "vote" for a Wardell set!

I'd love to see a "Count Basie at the Royal Roost - The Complete Recordings", as there's still a lot of unissued material from Boris Rose's collection.

And a Teddy Wilson (minus Billie) set would be fantastic.

Masters of Jazz of course put out five CDs exactly like this: two volumes of "The Legendary Small Groups", and three volumes of "Teddy and the Girls".

Excellent issues of Teddy WIlson small group sides are still available on Hep (1012, 1014, 1020, 1029, 1035, and 1043). There's also Hep 1043 which covers his big band sides as well as four small group sides from 1940.

I only wish that Hep had issued material from the 9/16/41 and 7/31/42 small group dates for Columbia.

I was wanting that recently released early Earl Hines set for ages, so now that that's done, next on my fantasy Mosaic list is a 30s/40s Charlie Barnet set (there's not much out there in good sound).

Otherwise something like an Andy Kirk/Mary Lou Williams set, or a 40s Lucky Millinder set would be next on my dream list.

I was wanting that recently released early Earl Hines set for ages, so now that that's done, next on my fantasy Mosaic list is a 30s/40s Charlie Barnet set (there's not much out there in good sound).

Otherwise something like an Andy Kirk/Mary Lou Williams set, or a 40s Lucky Millinder set would be next on my dream list.

Millinder's 1941-1950 material is available on 3 Chronological (sorry Chronogical :)) Classics CDs. Very nice stuff but I wonder what the benefit of a small Mosaic box (which they no longer do anyway) covering the same period might be.

MG

Millinder's 1941-1950 material is available on 3 Chronological (sorry Chronogical :)) Classics CDs. Very nice stuff but I wonder what the benefit of a small Mosaic box (which they no longer do anyway) covering the same period might be.

MG

Probably better sound, but that's hypothetical now.

MG

Well, I greatly enjoy those recordings on Chronogical Classics. I doubt if anyone would ever have thought of issuing the material in excellent sound. Would enough people be sufficiently interested in Millinder to secure a profit for the company doing to? We're all jazz fans (to some degree) on this board, but I bet there are precious few of us who have these 3 CDs. Fewer than 6, I'd guess.

MG

Well, I greatly enjoy those recordings on Chronogical Classics. I doubt if anyone would ever have thought of issuing the material in excellent sound. Would enough people be sufficiently interested in Millinder to secure a profit for the company doing to? We're all jazz fans (to some degree) on this board, but I bet there are precious few of us who have these 3 CDs. Fewer than 6, I'd guess.

MG

Let's start counting: I'm number 1

MG

MG

Well, Millinder is not to everyone's taste :)

MG

Well I'm #2.

Good sound would be the goal. My fantasy wish list is for good music that has only ever been released in relatively muddy sound and could use an overhaul. Lucky Millinder falls into that category and I would hope that anyone with an interest in Swing Era dance music or early Rhythm and Blues would snap such a thing up.

MG

MG

Well, Millinder is not to everyone's taste :)

That's what I mean. Nor is Woody Shaw.

Oh, I'm #3 :)

MG

MG

Well I'm #2.

Good sound would be the goal. My fantasy wish list is for good music that has only ever been released in relatively muddy sound and could use an overhaul. Lucky Millinder falls into that category and I would hope that anyone with an interest in Swing Era dance music or early Rhythm and Blues would snap such a thing up.

Well, I get your point there. Actually, if you included the King 50s material, you'd be in Bear Family territory, I guess, not Mosaic. I think that would be interesting.

Thinking about King material, an Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis King set would be terribly interesting, to me. There are 5 LPs from '55-57, plus, I think, some earlier stuff issued on 78/45. Might make a 4 CD box.

MG