Sets you wish Mosaic would do

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

How about The Complete John Lewis, Milt Jackson, MJQ Sessions On Warner Bros.-related labels (East-West, Qwest) 1987 - 199?

It would include:

MJQ - Three Windows

MJQ - For Ellington

Milt Jackson - Burnin' In The Woodhouse

Milt Jackson - Sa Va Bella

Milt Jackson Meets The Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra - Explosive!

Milt Jackson - Reverence And Compassion

Milt Jackson - The Prophet Speaks

MJQ & Friends - A 40th Anniversary Celebration

John Lewis - Evolution

John Lewis - Evolution II

And I may have missed some titles.

This could be an interesting, poignant look at greats in the twilight of their careers, and how they bring different qualities to the music.

There are some good suggestions in this thread but, if I'm being honest with myself, I have a fair number of Mosaic box sets that I've only listened to once. Until I listen more and get to know the Mosaics I already have, I don't need any more Mosaics.

I've been trying to give "needs" priority over "wants" lately.

21 hours ago, paul secor said:

There are some good suggestions in this thread but, if I'm being honest with myself, I have a fair number of Mosaic box sets that I've only listened to once. Until I listen more and get to know the Mosaics I already have, I don't need any more Mosaics.

I've been trying to give "needs" priority over "wants" lately.

I've never been able to do a very good job of differentiating between those two!

gregmo

I'd buy a Mercer Records set. Problem could be that some items released on 78's are very rare, and others were reissued on other labels, e.g. Prestige, Riverside, Storyville. Plenty of prime Ellingtonia, for sure.

I may have posted these next two wishes before:

The complete Okeh Ellington up to 1934 where the big Mosaic box starts

The complete late 1940s early 1950s Columbia Ellington - this really needs a definite compilation

Edited by mikeweil

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

I'd buy a Mercer Records set. Problem could be that some items released on 78's are very rare, and others were reissued on other labels, e.g. Prestige, Riverside, Storyville. Plenty of prime Ellingtonia, for sure.

The complete late 1940s early 1950s Columbia Ellington - this really needs a definite compilation

Agreed on all these plus the music on the three French CBS Lps "56/62" .

6 hours ago, mikeweil said:

The big mosaic starts with 1932. A complete Okeh, Columbia etc. set would be 4 CD's. If combined with the pre 1932 Universal material ( 3 CD's) that would give a almost complete 1925-1931. There would be a few loose ends left from Blue disc Gennett etc. 

Off course the Universal material is all ready in a set but there have been 2 discoveries since.

Columbia late 40's early fifties would be most welcome. 

For me the 1956-1962 Columbia period should be done in 4 boxed sets with  each 6 LP's as the basis and supplemented with all the extra material. 

I like the idea of sets that "fill the gaps". I'd like a Louis Armstrong set covering the period at Columbia between the Hot 5s and 7s and the start of the Decca era. I'd also like a set that gathers Columbia-owned material that isn't on other boxes, such as Teddy Wilson's recordings without Billie and Basie's early discs without Prez. I'd be pleased for others to make suggestions.

Blue Note has been pretty much covered, but there are sessions by BN artists on other labels that have been neglected. Such as the Universal-owned Lou Donaldson albums. There are eight on Cadet and Argo between 1963 and 1966. Also, Shirley Scott and Stanley Turrentine's Impulse sessions would make a nice set.

I could go on...

pharoah sanders complete live sessions that were used for the "Elevation" release 1973

http://www.angelfire.com/id2/laotan/1973.html#sessions 3

Info from Ed Michel: 

Live sessions at The Ash Grove, Los Angeles on September 7/8/9, 1973, for "Elevation" (impulse AS-9261). 

Sept 7 - first set: Elevation (43:40); Nigerian Tune (14:40); false start; second set: Elevation (30:00); The Gathering (20:00) 

Sept 8 - first set: Elevation (48:00); second set Spiritual Blessings (20:00); Nigerian HiLife (22:30); Love Is Everywhere/Nigerian HiLife (17:30); The Gathering (10:00) 

Sept 9 - first set: Elevation/Spritual Blessing (37:45); second set: Elevation/Bird Song (20:30); The Gathering/Blues (28:00); Creator Has a Master Plan/Love Is Everywhere (34:00); Light of Peace (Healing Song) (12:00)

"Elevation" (impulse AS-9261) has
1. Elevation 18:01
2. Greeting to Saud (Brother McCoy Tyner) 4:07  ((studio))
3. Ore-se-rere (Nigerian Juju Hilife)  5:36
4. The Gathering  13:51
5. Spiritual Blessing  5:41

The more I think about it, the more I want The Complete Atlantic/Fame Recordings of Tommy Cogbil and Roger Hawkins - but do I want only thinkgs where Cogbil plays bass or the ones where he plays guitar too?   Interestingly, Rick Hall says the only reason Tommy played bass (instead of guitar, what he came to play) on Picket's "Land of a Thousand Dances" (IIRC) session because the other two bass players couldn't get it right! I'm guessing the other two were Jr. Lowe and Norman Putnam.

23 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

The more I think about it, the more I want The Complete Atlantic/Fame Recordings of Tommy Cogbil and Roger Hawkins - but do I want only thinkgs where Cogbil plays bass or the ones where he plays guitar too?   Interestingly, Rick Hall says the only reason Tommy played bass (instead of guitar, what he came to play) on Picket's "Land of a Thousand Dances" (IIRC) session because the other two bass players couldn't get it right! I'm guessing the other two were Jr. Lowe and Norman Putnam.

In the meantime ACE Records is reissuing substantial FAME recorded material so the rights are with them .... btw very good sound, worthy bonus material and quality liner notes/booklets - actually the way these recordings should be presented ....

Edited by soulpope