Sets you wish Mosaic would do

On August 18, 2016 at 9:29 PM, JSngry said:

For the purpose of this discussion, Bill Barron is the Tina Brooks of the 21st Century.

Just came across a few Barron LPs in the WFIU library--have to admit that I haven't listened to him before. We're in the midst of a major move at the station, so I'm going to bring those LPs home for a few days and check them out over Labor Day weekend. 

It may have been mentioned already, but I'd love a 1960s Gary Burton RCA set, though most of that material has made it to CD in one way or another. Evidently, though, it's not in the picture, for a reason that doesn't stem from lack of desire on Mosaic's (or Burton's part).

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea if this was already suggested, but I just thought a set of all Metronome All Stars sessions made for various labels between 1940 and 1956 would be nice. I found sessions for Victor. Columbia, Capitol. MGM, and Clef those that I know are all interesting. 

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

No idea if this was already suggested, but I just thought a set of all Metronome All Stars sessions made for various labels between 1940 and 1956 would be nice. I found sessions for Victor. Columbia, Capitol. MGM, and Clef those that I know are all interesting. 

The two-cd Frémeaux set is pretty comprehensive, at least for the 1939-50 period: Summit Meetings.

gregmo

Sets I proposed to Mosaic at one time or another:

Selection of Victor/Columbia ragtime recordings

The 1920-1937 Victor/Columbia jazz oriented recordings by Paul Whiteman with or without Bix

Clarence Williams/Eva Taylor Blue Five recordings intertwined

A Henry 'Red'Allen/J.C Higginbotham set along the lines of the Chu Berry set thus including Fletcher Henderson an MBRB recordings

Louis Armstrong Okeh, Columbia and Victor recordings 1925-1932. Most of it is available off course. But not one series is complete.

and if they could get an agreement with universal for the Brumswick sessions (they fit on one CD) it could be truly complete.

Louis Armstrong Columbia 50's studio recordings.

Duke Ellington a combined complete Sony/Universal 1925-1931 set.

Duke Ellington complete 1947-1952 Columbia recordings. Some 50 unissued takes are known to collectors

On my list was also the upcoming Teddy Wilson set.

5 hours ago, miles65 said:

Duke Ellington complete 1947-1952 Columbia recordings. Some 50 unissued takes are known to collectors

There are a lot singles in there that I think have never been released on cd.  And while they're at it they could add much of what was on the French CBS 3 Lp release Duke 56/62.  OTHD they could leave out the albums avaialbe on cd and still have a good box of rarities.  

5 hours ago, miles65 said:

[...]

Louis Armstrong Okeh, Columbia and Victor recordings 1925-1932. Most of it is available off course. But not one series is complete.and if they could get an agreement with universal for the Brumswick sessions (they fit on one CD) it could be truly complete.

Would love that ragtime set.

Isn't the Frémeaux complete for early Armstrong? What's missing?

On 10-4-2017 at 3:52 AM, medjuck said:

There are a lot singles in there that I think have never been released on cd.  And while they're at it they could add much of what was on the French CBS 3 Lp release Duke 56/62.  OTHD they could leave out the albums avaialbe on cd and still have a good box of rarities.  

Columbia 1947-1952

French CBS did 5 CD's in their Jazz-o-theque series. Vol. 1 to 4 contain all 74 tracks from singels. Vol. 5 contains the Liberian suite and Masterpieces by Ellington (10 tracks).

Ellington Uptown (7 tracks) is not in this series

Officialy issued alternate takes:

Airconditioned jungle (V-disc take), I Like the sunrise (instrumental version on V-disc)

3 cent stomp on Duke Ellington the essential collection 3 CD set

Dance # 5 on Ellington Uptown Columbia 512917 2

Creole Love call on LP The world of Duke Ellington vol. 1

I love my loving lover on LP The world of Duke Ellington vol. 3

Unofficial issues:

Progressive gavotte on FDC 1023

On various Up-to-date LP's a total of 45 tracks (most are also on Classics/Neatwork)

And finaly there are 52 unissued takes witch have a solo discription in the New Desor

A total of 195 tracks

My thoughts on the 1956-1962 period. For my idealy there would be 4 boxes with each 6 original LP's as the basis with extra tracks added.

Edited by miles65
added a few words to clarify things and corrected the numbers

On 09/04/2017 at 7:12 AM, miles65 said:

Sets I proposed to Mosaic at one time or another:

The 1920-1937 Victor/Columbia jazz oriented recordings by Paul Whiteman with or without Bix

Clarence Williams/Eva Taylor Blue Five recordings intertwined

A Henry 'Red'Allen/J.C Higginbotham set along the lines of the Chu Berry set thus including Fletcher Henderson an MBRB recordings

Louis Armstrong Okeh, Columbia and Victor recordings 1925-1932. Most of it is available off course. But not one series is complete.

and if they could get an agreement with universal for the Brumswick sessions (they fit on one CD) it could be truly complete.

Louis Armstrong Columbia 50's studio recordings.

Duke Ellington a combined complete Sony/Universal 1925-1931 set.

On my list was also the upcoming Teddy Wilson set.

I would buy all of those!

The one that gets me most excited is "A Henry 'Red'Allen/J.C Higginbotham set along the lines of the Chu Berry set thus including Fletcher Henderson an MBRB recordings". That Chu Berry set is perhaps my all-time favourite.

On 4/9/2017 at 0:12 PM, mikeweil said:

Pretty sure I recently came across a comment from Michael Cuscuna in an interview somewhere about just such a set, and that licensing issues had prevented it from happening.

6 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Pretty sure I recently came across a comment from Michael Cuscuna in an interview somewhere about just such a set, and that licensing issues had prevented it from happening.

Yes on the Mosaic website. This set would to the best of my knowledge need the cooperation of Sony, Universal and Capitol (EMI?).

Yes, that's my understanding, too (in jazz at least - EMI Classical went with Warner).

I love the idea of a 1947-50 Ellington Columbia set, of course. I'd also love to get all the other non-LP material from Columbia (there was this LP series covering 1956-62, never checked how much of it I have on all the discs around).

5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

What is missing the most is the early Okeh Ellington and the1947-50 Columbia sides - would buy these any day.

It would be nice to have all the Okeh material with alternates in GOOD sound. We've had to put up with that old "Okeh Ellington" cd set for a long time. French CBS did issue the 47-52 Columbia things years ago in a 5-cd set (the fifth cd encompassed "Liberian Suite" and "Masterpieces by Ellington," the others all singles), but that was masters only, no alternates. I came across the set in Paris's wonderful Jazz Corner store, but good luck finding them now!

gregmo

I'm listening to the LP version of the 1947-52 Ellington box right now - this set and the two CD reissues of "Masterpeices" and "Uptown" cover all the master takes made during those years, and this made me change my mind - I doubt I would enjoy up to three alternates of two thirds of the material - perhaps too much of a good thing, at least for me. I am comfortable with what I have.

But a completed Okeh set, that's another story. Would have been a great Mosaic Select - they should have seized the opportunity as long as that series still existed.

Edited by mikeweil

I just took a closer look at the Okeh Ellington. The French CBS double LPs have 90 tracks inluding alternates before the big Mosaic box starts. The Columbia double CD had just 50 tracks. 

Those 90 tracks could be a bit too much for three discs, so they could include other early material for Gennet etc. Just fantasizing ....

50 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

I just took a closer look at the Okeh Ellington. The French CBS double LPs have 90 tracks inluding alternates before the big Mosaic box starts. The Columbia double CD had just 50 tracks. 

Those 90 tracks could be a bit too much for three discs, so they could include other early material for Gennet etc. Just fantasizing ....

The French CBS double LP's missed out on a number of alternate takes. The total number of tracks from 1925-1931 now owned by Sony is 97. That would fit on 4 CD's.

If Universal would cooperate the 3 CD's worth of 1926-1931 Brunswick/Vocalion tracks (including the two tracks missing on the Early Ellington set) could make it a 7 CD Mosaic set. I don't know about the legal status of the 15 tracks that are neither Sony or Universal on Up-to-date, Blue Disc, Gennett and Hit Of the week. But if they are in the public domain. It could make it an 8 CD set.

On 8/18/2016 at 9:29 PM, JSngry said:

For the purpose of this discussion, Bill Barron is the Tina Brooks of the 21st Century.

A Mosaic with his Savoys and Audio Fidelity/Dauntless releases would be pretty sweet. If you wanted to do it the way of Barron and Curson, you'd have to cut a couple and squeeze in a release on Fontana (Alan Bates territory...) and one on Atlantic. Surely there's some sweet unreleased stuff.

On 4/14/2017 at 8:31 AM, miles65 said:

The French CBS double LP's missed out on a number of alternate takes. The total number of tracks from 1925-1931 now owned by Sony is 97. That would fit on 4 CD's.

If Universal would cooperate the 3 CD's worth of 1926-1931 Brunswick/Vocalion tracks (including the two tracks missing on the Early Ellington set) could make it a 7 CD Mosaic set. I don't know about the legal status of the 15 tracks that are neither Sony or Universal on Up-to-date, Blue Disc, Gennett and Hit Of the week. But if they are in the public domain. It could make it an 8 CD set.

What (if anything) does Sony control besides the Okeh and the Columbias? And has any of it except the Okeh's ever appeared on cd?   (Ignoring the Masters of Jazz and  Classics releases. ) 

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

What (if anything) does Sony control besides the Okeh and the Columbias? And has any of it except the Okeh's ever appeared on cd?   (Ignoring the Masters of Jazz and  Classics releases. ) 

Sony owns all the RCA Victor material, and that has appeared on cd, most notably in the mammoth Duke Ellington Centennial set but also in a compilation cd issued in the early 90s called "Early Ellington." Sony also controls the post-1933 Brunswicks, but I assume you're only asking about the very early stuff.

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Sony owns all the RCA Victor material, and that has appeared on cd, most notably in the mammoth Duke Ellington Centennial set but also in a compilation cd issued in the early 90s called "Early Ellington." Sony also controls the post-1933 Brunswicks, but I assume you're only asking about the very early stuff.

You're right. I can't keep it straight anymore.  So I guess I'm asking how many of the 97 tracks are not Okeh or Victors.( I guess I could just go through DESOR and count for myself but you seem to have this information already.)