Sets you wish Mosaic would do

21 hours ago, Misterioso said:

It has been mentioned before but its worth repeating: a John Carter Root and Folklore set would be a great addition to the Mosaic catalogue. Its such a shame that 4/5 of these recordings have not been available for a long time. 

Fantastic but I would think most unlikely in the current market climate.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bigbandrecord said:

Now this material is readily available on CD, but there's been a lot of complaints about the de-natured sound on the CDS.  It's the complete Duke Ellington Carnegie Hall Concerts 1943-1949....it's been 7 years since that reissue of the exact same sounding 1991 CDS came out.  I think it's high time that Mosaic sets the record straight and rectifies this disrespectful maltreatment of this historical material.

Also, the concerts have never been complete on Lp or cd.  (Not sure recordings of the complete concerts exist. )

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

What the world REALLY need is Clare Fisher - THE COMPLETE PACIFIC JAZZ AND REVELATION RECORDINGS

Are you listening, Mosaic?

Clare Fischer and his son started selling CDRs of the Revelation and Discovery titles from their own website before Fischer's passing, IIRC. 

The Pacific Jazz stuff was just two trio dates, one very special big band date that Johnathan Horwich reissued in excellent sound (Extensions) and two Latin Jazz dates, Manteca and So Danco Samba. Then there are sideman dates and collaborative affairs with Joe Pass and Bud Shank. I think Cuscuna found it good music but too diverse for a box set (he reissued the trios in the Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Select). They would have fit on a three disc Select, technically.

Fischer's work is very diversified - I think this is fascinating, but it makes it hard to put in boxes - you get the idea?

On 4/17/2017 at 9:54 PM, medjuck said:

Also, the concerts have never been complete on Lp or cd.  (Not sure recordings of the complete concerts exist. )

I have the LPs that Fantasy put out in their Prestige line. In some cases, the source material was damaged or lost, like the 1943 Carnegie Hall concert. I think some of the others were edited to choose the most interesting selections, rather than just issue complete shows from 1944, 1946 and 1947. I haven't listened to them in awhile and never bought the CD editions.

I think it is evident that their current business model is not sustainable for much longer.  They are getting a pretty big bump in sales that I hope will allow them to repress JPJ set - which is on the chopping block.  

Edited by Ed Swinnich

59 minutes ago, Ed Swinnich said:

I think it is evident that their current business model is not sustainable for much longer.  They are getting a pretty big bump in sales that I hope will allow them to repress JPJ set - which is on the chopping block.  

See here

On the optimistic side I'm hoping they may be able to release sets that they have started, such as the Teddy Wilson. Or maybe Resonance will complete the work on these. One thing I do know: if any new sets are announced and I want them, I'm preordering (and I was going to preorder the Wilson set anyway).

19 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Clare Fischer and his son started selling CDRs of the Revelation and Discovery titles from their own website before Fischer's passing, IIRC. 

The Pacific Jazz stuff was just two trio dates, one very special big band date that Johnathan Horwich reissued in excellent sound (Extensions) and two Latin Jazz dates, Manteca and So Danco Samba. Then there are sideman dates and collaborative affairs with Joe Pass and Bud Shank. I think Cuscuna found it good music but too diverse for a box set (he reissued the trios in the Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Select). They would have fit on a three disc Select, technically.

Fischer's work is very diversified - I think this is fascinating, but it makes it hard to put in boxes - you get the idea?

It's the diverse character of his work that would make this set a must-have. The period covered is arguably the most interesting one for West Coast jazz. Plus, the unavailability of his Pacific and Revelation records on commercial cds. Who buys cd-r's? Especially if there was a properly documented and properly transferred definitive set of Fisher's 1960s-1970s output.  

Edited by Dmitry

• 5 months later...

Seconded, and maybe expand to include Mercury & Roulette...also dare I say it, get all the material now under the Savoy umbrella.

It seems to me that Eckstine is today on the verge of becoming "forgotten"...definitely underappreciated. To today's ears, the power of his voice might seem like just too much, and his fluidity might get overlooked in the search for a sociologically visceral "swing. But listen to what he does, there is never excess nor is there ever stiffness (unlike some of the other, to generalize, "Italian crooners" from the time of and in the wake of these recordings. Just saying, I'm maybe on the verge of re-evaluating Jerry Vale, but Billy Eckstine, damn), pay attention world, pay attention to that bigass, totally in command baritone, lest you lose what you once perhaps never really knew.

Eckstine recorded 186 tracks for MGM 1947-55, if my count from the Lord Disco is correct; some are still unissued - no idea if they're still there in the MGM vaults. That alone would be seven CDs. Lord's listing is not complete, as he sees "limited jazz content" in many sides .... make that eight discs.

Next was an album for RCA Victor in 1956 (18 tracks, some unissued).

Lord lists 108 tracks on Mercury (probably not all there is), and one live recording of four sets for Roulette. No idea if there is more.

I'd rather see them do the labels separately, or it would be a very big box and rather expensive.

A box of the early stuff as a singer with the Earl Hines band, the Deluxe and National titles and the live recordings would be another four or five discs. 

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

It seems to me that Eckstine is today on the verge of becoming "forgotten"...definitely underappreciated.

That makes him the perfect subject for the Mosaic treatment.

Is Will Friedwald still around? He is full of praise in his liner notes of the two Verve reissues and would make the most of the session-by-session commentary.

Edited by mikeweil

On 4/14/2017 at 8:31 AM, miles65 said:

The French CBS double LP's missed out on a number of alternate takes. The total number of tracks from 1925-1931 now owned by Sony is 97. That would fit on 4 CD's.

If Universal would cooperate the 3 CD's worth of 1926-1931 Brunswick/Vocalion tracks (including the two tracks missing on the Early Ellington set) could make it a 7 CD Mosaic set. I don't know about the legal status of the 15 tracks that are neither Sony or Universal on Up-to-date, Blue Disc, Gennett and Hit Of the week. But if they are in the public domain. It could make it an 8 CD set.

Who owns the Pathe tracks?  Way more than 15 if you include them.  (One session seems to be Pathe/Cameo.) 

11 hours ago, medjuck said:

Who owns the Pathe tracks?  Way more than 15 if you include them.  (One session seems to be Pathe/Cameo.) 

The Pathé tracks are included in the French CBS 2lp sets and therefor I asume they are owned by Sony. They are part of the 97.

16 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Eckstine recorded 186 tracks for MGM 1947-55, if my count from the Lord Disco is correct; some are still unissued - no idea if they're still there in the MGM vaults. That alone would be seven CDs. Lord's listing is not complete, as he sees "limited jazz content" in many sides .... make that eight discs.

Next was an album for RCA Victor in 1956 (18 tracks, some unissued).

Lord lists 108 tracks on Mercury (probably not all there is), and one live recording of four sets for Roulette. No idea if there is more.

I'd rather see them do the labels separately, or it would be a very big box and rather expensive.

A box of the early stuff as a singer with the Earl Hines band, the Deluxe and National titles and the live recordings would be another four or five discs. 

That makes him the perfect subject for the Mosaic treatment.

Is Will Friedwald still around? He is full of praise in his liner notes of the two Verve reissues and would make the most of the session-by-session commentary.

Last year at the Ellington conference in New York he gave a presentation with rare Ellington moves and clips. So in 2016 he was still around.

• 6 months later...
8 minutes ago, bigbandrecord said:

Mosaic wouldn't necessarily have to do it in order for that to be great.   But how many volumes are their?  42 I believe.    That makes for an awfully big set.   That would take it out of mosaic territory cause you'd have a 650.00 box.

Concord could make it a $300 box, but wonder what the market is for that.