Sets you wish Mosaic would do

I'm listening to Wayne Shorter's "Night Dreamer" right now, and a thought came to mind - a Wayne Shorter BN Mosaic would be freakin' awesome! Now that I think about it, there are a lot of artists, BN or otherwise, that really deserve this kind of treatment but that will probably never get it, just because so many of their albums have been put out in other formats or in other boxes.

So, if you could have any artist's work put together in a Mosaic set, who would it be? Who would you have master the music? For me, I would have Malcom Addey do the mastering - his work on other Mosaics has been excellent. Some of my desired sets:

- Complete Wayne Shorter Blue Note recordings

- Complete Bobby Hutcherson Blue Note recordings (even the 70's stuff)

- Complete Walt Dickerson 60's sessions (I've really been digging this guy lately)

- Complete Booker Ervin Prestige Sessions (just because it would be nice to have it in a box)

There are many others that I could list. Who are some of yours?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as we're just wish-listing, here's what I'd like to see. The format can be of Mosaic's choosing, i.e. either the full meal box n' book deal or a Select. I used to call this grouping my ABC's, but the "C" has been taken care of by the annoucement that Mosaic will release the Concert Jazz Band material sometime later this year.

Georgie Auld - A tenor player who could do it all. Big band, bop, post-bop...you name it. An absolutley gorgeous tone. He recorded prolifically, so it's not like there's a dearth of material from which to choose. Considering how obscure he's become, I wouldn't think obtaining the rights to his music would be all that difficult.

Earl Bostic - Art Blakey once said if you think Bird knows his way around a horn, you should spend some time with Earl Bostic. I know a lot of his recorded output puts down on the R&B side of the fence, but he's another guy who recorded so much that it wouldn't be hard to isolate a reasonably significant selection of straight up jazz material.

Up over and out.

I'd like to see a Dizzy Reece Mosaic Select

I agree 100%. Good call, Temple.

I've stopped e-mailing Mosaic about a Complete Capitol Recordings of Johnny Mercer, but it's still a wish.

I'd like to see Tal Farlow's Complete Verve Sessions

Mosaic could do a 10" Blue Note set, featuring all the early singles and 10"ers from the 1940s---maybe similar to the Capitol Jazz set.

I've always wanted Mosaic to take a shot at the Francis Paudra's recordings of Bud Powell, those released and unreleased. I once emailed Cuscuna about this, and his response was both Cecila Powell, and the quality of the music, was holding him back from doing it. He mentioned the Ms. Powell has a lot of unreleased Powell in her possesion. It all might be of iffy quality, but, of course, I find anything by Powell interesting.

I'm completely with you Matthew on all counts.

How about a Keynote set? Nah, nevery happen :)

I've suggested an Una Mae Carlisle set, complete recordings would make about four or five cds (depending on what extra is out there to be found) and I want the damned booklet! I doubt it will ever happen.

Edited by jazzbo

I'd dig a complete Joe Henderson BN set, Johnny Griffin BN (select?), I agree on the Booker Ervin and Wayne ideas, complete Prestige Kenny Dorham, complete Prestige Art Farmer. And I'd like Jenna Jameson to deliver them all to my house by mid-week. :)

I'm with Lon on the Keynote set. I'd also like to see a set featuring the Verve Recordings of Jimmy Giuffre.

Also maybe some kind of set featuring Barney Wilen's work. His stuff fades in and out of circulation so fast, that its hard to keep track of just what is available.

How about a set of the Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin Big Band? To have all that great music collected together would be fabulous!

And just to be a little more greedy, how about some sort of set spotlighting Tommy Flannagan. I think he's one artist that we never discuss here and perhaps should!

Edited by Out2Lunch

Agree with the Keynote box - that one MAY happen! Also the Reece Select, I think we'll see that eventually. And Mosaic is trying to license Farlow's Verve stuff according to an e-mail reply they sent to me recently, so I have hope for that one.

For those we'll likely never see:

Complete Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin RCA Big Band Sessions

Complete Warner Bros 50's/60's Jazz Sessions (see recent thread on this)

Emarcy Classic Jazz Sessions (this would collect the many one-offs and obscure but excellent recordings for the label, not the biggies like Roach, Cannonball, etc but stuff like George Auld, Thelma Gracen, and others)

Complete Yusef Lateef on Impulse!

Complete Strata East Sessions (or maybe even just a Charles Tolliver focus - Strata East and other leader dates, like PAPER MAN on Arista/Freedom)

Complete Horace Tapscott Nimbus Sessions

How about some kind of Clarke-Boland Big Band box? Not sure of how to "theme" it.

Complete Slide Hampton Atlantic Sessions

Complete Jazztet Argo/Emarcy Sessions

Complete Hutcherson/Land Sessions (cross-label, including Mainstream, Cadet, BN)

Complete Roland Kirk Atlantic Sessions (if Joel Dorn never gets around to doing this, as I thought he was going to a while back)

And I'd still like a Lucky Thompson Mosaic - he DESERVES the honor. Maybe a complete Milt Jackson/Lucky Thompson Savoy sessions (probably small enough to be a Select). But I'd really like a box that pulled together a large chunk of Lucky's scattered work as a leader in one place, although the licensing intricacies alone would probably preclude it ever happening. Maybe just his European sessions? I don't know.

Edited by DrJ

Lots of good suggestions here. I'm with you on Flanagan Tod; I listened to about three sessions of him backing up Coleman Hawkins yesterday and he often pulled my attention. What great touch!

Here's one I'd like to see: Complete Verve-labels Lee Konitz. I was shocked to see how much unreleased stuff there is on an online discography.

Yes I've picked up one of the more hard to find Konitz Verves - TRANQUILITY - and it's excellent. Lee himself was reportedly not happy with a lot of his output for Verve, so perhaps that's why so little has appeared in the U.S., but I agree it would make a killer Mosaic. I always figured there was probably a lot of previously unreleased material/alternates in this body of work, given what finally saw the light of day in the 3 CD version of MOTION from a couple years ago. Glad to have you confirm that, Lon!

Complete Don Pullen/George Adams BN Sessions

And forgot - Pacific Jazz also needs to be better represented!

Complete PJ Buddy Rich Big Band Sessions (this would include the unreleased material alluded to in the single CD reissues out on BN in the past few years)

Complete Harry Edison PJ/Roulette Sessions

Glad to see the Brookmeyer stuff will be making it onto a couple of Mosaic Selects soon.

An assorted United Artists/PJ/Roulette/Liberty/Capitol female vocalists box would also be interesting - there are some real nice obscurities there - in fact Red Trumpet is stocking a whole series of Toshiba mini-LP reissues by vocalists from the 50's/60's like Pat Healy (arrangements by Fred Katz), Ann Phillips, Sue Raney, Carole Simpson, Beverly Kenney (w/Johnny Smith), etc. Granted, not to everyone's taste, but what I've heard of these are much better than you'd expect, and highly collectable.

Edited by DrJ

- Complete Walt Dickerson 60's sessions (I've really been digging this guy lately)

I'd like to see a set like this materialize as well. Must admit though, despite all of the "this lp is his crowning achievement" commentary, I find "To My Queen" to be the least interesting of the first four dates. "How Deep is the Ocean" is mighty tasty....but that 18 min. title track is about as interesting (imo) as viewing a VHS of the 'Complete History of Franco American SpaghettiOs'!!

I'd like to see a set like this materialize as well. Must admit though, despite all of the "this lp is his crowning achievement" commentary, I find "To My Queen" to be the least interesting of the first four dates. "How Deep is the Ocean" is mighty tasty....but that 18 min. title track is about as interesting (imo) as viewing a VHS of the 'Complete History of Franco American SpaghettiOs'!!

Part of what got me going on this is another board member was kind of enough to make burns from LP's for me of "Jazz Impressions of Lawrence of Arabia" and "Unity." These are GREAT albums, and they make me wonder what other Dickerson treasures are out there. And Weizen, I'm with you on "To My Queen" - I find it the most boring of his 60's work that I've heard thus far. If you're interested in hearing "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Unity," send me a PM.

Part of what got me going on this is another board member was kind of enough to make burns from LP's for me of "Jazz Impressions of Lawrence of Arabia" and "Unity." These are GREAT albums, and they make me wonder what other Dickerson treasures are out there. And Weizen, I'm with you on "To My Queen" - I find it the most boring of his 60's work that I've heard thus far. If you're interested in hearing "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Unity," send me a PM.

I made those burns, I think. How's the sound quality, a bit heavy on the bass? I forgot to turn off the bass boost on my mini-disc deck, I remember.

Disagree on To My Queen.

It's not boring at all. If anything, it's delicate and insigthful, imo.

Have you heard To My Queen Revisited?

Part of what got me going on this is another board member was kind of enough to make burns from LP's for me of "Jazz Impressions of Lawrence of Arabia" and "Unity."  These are GREAT albums, and they make me wonder what other Dickerson treasures are out there.  And Weizen, I'm with you on "To My Queen" - I find it the most boring of his 60's work that I've heard thus far.  If you're interested in hearing "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Unity," send me a PM.

I made those burns, I think. How's the sound quality, a bit heavy on the bass? I forgot to turn off the bass boost on my mini-disc deck, I remember.

Disagree on To My Queen.

It's not boring at all. If anything, it's delicate and insigthful, imo.

Have you heard To My Queen Revisited?

Dmitry, I didn't get them from you...although, maybe the person I got them from did! The bass isn't too bad on these, but then, I don't have a fabulous system or anything, either.

"To My Queen" is just my least favorite of all the Dickerson I've heard. I haven't heard any of his 70's stuff, but it's high on my list of things to buy. Do you have many of the Steeplechase albums? If so, where would you suggest that I start?

Vibes, I think I made a burn for Alan last year. Anyway, it doesn't really matter at all.

Glad you like those albums. Landmark discs, both of them.

Dickerson's Steeplechase... you're in for a treat.

*Divine Gemini

*To My Queen Revisited[perhaps you'll dig the beauty of original TMQ in conjunction with the TMQR. It's a retrospective album]

*Shades Of Love

*To My Son

I don't enjoy the abstract improvisational later Steeplechase albums, and I didn't like Life Rays, his only Soul Note disc[his last one].

What is your name, btw? I don't remember your handle from the old BN.:)

Some fine suggestions! Isn't it great that there is still a lot of superb stuff out there that we can look forward to.

It's been said before, but a complete Three Sounds BN 1958-62 set, with all the previously unissued items (over 200 selections, I'm told) would be very popular. Surely the Nat Cole set is bigger than that. (18 CDs, wasn't it?)

I sure would like to get my hands on the Hutcherson/Land non BN sessions.

Years ago, I found French Musidisc LPs of the Milt Jackson/Lucky Thompson Savoy sessions. This is very enjoyable, relaxed music. Someone recently sent me a rather ragged burn of a two LP set that contains all of this, and it sure was good to hear it again.

Vibes, I think I made a burn for Alan last year. Anyway, it doesn't really matter at all.

Glad you like those albums. Landmark discs, both of them.

Dickerson's Steeplechase... you're in for a treat.

*Divine Gemini

*To My Queen Revisited[perhaps you'll dig the beauty of original TMQ in conjunction with the TMQR. It's a retrospective album]

*Shades Of Love

*To My Son

I don't enjoy the abstract improvisational later Steeplechase albums, and I didn't like Life Rays, his only Soul Note disc[his last one].

What is your name, btw? I don't remember your handle from the old BN.:)

Thanks for the recommendations, Dmitry. I'll have to pick some of those up soon. It's too bad Mosaic doesn't sell any Dickerson. I'd buy them in a second as a part of the current sale. How's the Barbieri/Brand CD, by the way?

I used this handle on the BNBB for a while, and before that went by slb. I didn't use that handle very long, and changed to vibes to hide from someone that I didn't want to know I was there. :ph34r: Anyway, my real name is Steve.

Georgie Auld - A tenor player who could do it all. Big band, bop, post-bop...you name it. An absolutley gorgeous tone. He recorded prolifically, so it's not like there's a dearth of material from which to choose. Considering how obscure he's become, I wouldn't think obtaining the rights to his music would be all that difficult.

Amen to Georgie Auld ! :tup I think that some people might be turned off just cuz of his funny name (Georgie, Bunny, Muggsy-you had to be tough to have names like those!) I don't know, but I think he was a heck of a player who would be perfect for a select or whole set!

Lots of great suggestions here.

I've been saying for months, and I'll say it again, I'd like to see a Dizzy Reece and a Clifford Jordan Select (especially a Cliff Jordan.) Complete Verve Jimmy Guiffre, Lee Konitz, and Tal Farlow would be on my Christmas list to God. How about Elmo Hope? How about something that brings together much of the work of Gigi Gryce?

I also want to second the idea of a Blue Note 10" compilation, and the idea of some sort of monster Lucky Thompson set. The first I think is actually do-able, the second will only get done in some parallel universe.

Finally, I'd like a huge, full-Mosaic compilation of the music of various swing territory bands. It'll never happen, but I've seen it in my dreams.