Sets you wish Mosaic would do

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enthusiastic agreement on Carter! I've just been writing about Roots and Folklore for a book I'm completing and I can't believe how criminally overlooked Carter remains.

A great run of albums

That sounds an interesting book....can you tell us more?

Yes, and thanks for the interest. As more than a few people on the board know, my day job is professor of religious studies. There's never been a decent book written on jazz in American religions, so I've written one. Oxford will be publishing it in 2015, likely in the spring. I'll start some kind of self-promotional thread when the time comes, I suppose, but Carter appears in a chapter focused on musicians who engage African-American religious history as such (so, Carter, Ellington, Marsalis, and in a different inflection, Mingus, Roach, Shepp, and Fred Ho).

My personal dream set from Mosaic would have everything by the Muscle Shoals/Memphis hybrid band Atlantic assembled for a few choice sessions in '66-68. Most famously for aretha's first few for the label but also for an album and a half for Wilson Pickett, King Curtis Plays Great Memphis Hits, and one from Solomon Burke. (I don't have the albums or a discography in front of me but the defining aspect would be the exquisite and unusual combination of drummer Roger Hawkins from Muscle Shoals and bassist/guitarist tommy Cogbill from the dusty in Memphis band.) Make a nice Mosaic select.

Still my wish.

I'm sure all this stuff is findable but my lazy/cheap self would love a set of Ornette's stuff from say Soapsuds, Soapsuds through to Virgin Beauty. pretty much his late seventies and eighties stuff excluding obvious stuff like Song X. Wouldn't mind getting Body Meta and Dancing in Your Head in better sound so you could throw those in too to flesh it out. Would be great to have In All Languages in better sound but apart from that i haven't heard most of the stuff from that period.

Where are all the billionaire jazz fans? If i was one i would commission Mosaic to make stuff happen.