Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vibes

Sets you wish Mosaic would do

330 posts in this topic

Seconded, and maybe expand to include Mercury & Roulette...also dare I say it, get all the material now under the Savoy umbrella.

It seems to me that Eckstine is today on the verge of becoming "forgotten"...definitely underappreciated. To today's ears, the power of his voice might seem like just too much, and his fluidity might get overlooked in the search for a sociologically visceral "swing. But listen to what he does, there is never excess nor is there ever stiffness (unlike some of the other, to generalize, "Italian crooners" from the time of and in the wake of these recordings. Just saying, I'm maybe on the verge of re-evaluating Jerry Vale, but Billy Eckstine, damn), pay attention world, pay attention to that bigass, totally in command baritone, lest you lose what you once perhaps never really knew.

Eckstine recorded 186 tracks for MGM 1947-55, if my count from the Lord Disco is correct; some are still unissued - no idea if they're still there in the MGM vaults. That alone would be seven CDs. Lord's listing is not complete, as he sees "limited jazz content" in many sides .... make that eight discs.

Next was an album for RCA Victor in 1956 (18 tracks, some unissued).

Lord lists 108 tracks on Mercury (probably not all there is), and one live recording of four sets for Roulette. No idea if there is more.

I'd rather see them do the labels separately, or it would be a very big box and rather expensive.

A box of the early stuff as a singer with the Earl Hines band, the Deluxe and National titles and the live recordings would be another four or five discs. 

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

It seems to me that Eckstine is today on the verge of becoming "forgotten"...definitely underappreciated.

That makes him the perfect subject for the Mosaic treatment.

Is Will Friedwald still around? He is full of praise in his liner notes of the two Verve reissues and would make the most of the session-by-session commentary.

Edited by mikeweil

On 4/14/2017 at 8:31 AM, miles65 said:

The French CBS double LP's missed out on a number of alternate takes. The total number of tracks from 1925-1931 now owned by Sony is 97. That would fit on 4 CD's.

If Universal would cooperate the 3 CD's worth of 1926-1931 Brunswick/Vocalion tracks (including the two tracks missing on the Early Ellington set) could make it a 7 CD Mosaic set. I don't know about the legal status of the 15 tracks that are neither Sony or Universal on Up-to-date, Blue Disc, Gennett and Hit Of the week. But if they are in the public domain. It could make it an 8 CD set.

Who owns the Pathe tracks?  Way more than 15 if you include them.  (One session seems to be Pathe/Cameo.) 

11 hours ago, medjuck said:

Who owns the Pathe tracks?  Way more than 15 if you include them.  (One session seems to be Pathe/Cameo.) 

The Pathé tracks are included in the French CBS 2lp sets and therefor I asume they are owned by Sony. They are part of the 97.

16 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Eckstine recorded 186 tracks for MGM 1947-55, if my count from the Lord Disco is correct; some are still unissued - no idea if they're still there in the MGM vaults. That alone would be seven CDs. Lord's listing is not complete, as he sees "limited jazz content" in many sides .... make that eight discs.

Next was an album for RCA Victor in 1956 (18 tracks, some unissued).

Lord lists 108 tracks on Mercury (probably not all there is), and one live recording of four sets for Roulette. No idea if there is more.

I'd rather see them do the labels separately, or it would be a very big box and rather expensive.

A box of the early stuff as a singer with the Earl Hines band, the Deluxe and National titles and the live recordings would be another four or five discs. 

That makes him the perfect subject for the Mosaic treatment.

Is Will Friedwald still around? He is full of praise in his liner notes of the two Verve reissues and would make the most of the session-by-session commentary.

Last year at the Ellington conference in New York he gave a presentation with rare Ellington moves and clips. So in 2016 he was still around.

Good to hear - just ordered a copy of his book on jazz singers.