Sets you wish Mosaic would do

Lots of great suggestions, but I'll add one more ---Carmen Mcrae Complete Bethlehem/Decca/Kapp. (I wouldn't mind seeing it like the complete Mercury Sarah Vaughan/Dinah Washington) I know Verve was planning on a Complete Mcrae/Sammy Davis Jr. set, but I have seen no word on that for a loooong time.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad MC would include the Kral with the Pomeroy.. if it materialises

The Granz Jam Sessions on Verve resulted in 9 LPs, though some of these were short ( 15 min tsides) so would make a good select or regular Mosaic.

Jam 1&2 were the three alto / Parker sets

Jam 3 & 4 were under Basie's name with Getz and Wardell Gray among the players

the rest got a bit haphazard but feature Diz and Roy, Hampton, DeFranco, Webster, Phillips, Jacquet with OP, Ellis, Brown and Rich as rhythm.

Long been a on my Mosaic wish list, but MC better be quick. Ocium just isued 3&4 on a CD, less than $10.00 in the cyberstores.. the rest no doubt will follow as they rise above the 50 year dead line.

I know....... evil pirates / bootleggers..... but this music has been hidden for too long in the vaults of one of the top gougers of all record labels.

JamIn.jpg

Edited by P.D.

How about a Tony Scott set? Maybe the Complete Brunswick and RCA Victor sides?

1953 Music After Midnight Brunswick

1954 Tony Scott Quartet Brunswick

1954 Jazz for GIs: Tony Scott and Mat Mathews Brunswick

1955 Tony Scott Victor

1955 Scott's Fling RCA

1956 Both Sides of Tony Scott Victor

1956 The Touch of Tony Scott Victor

1957 Tony Scott in Hi Fi Brunswick

And throw in these as a bonus...

1958 52nd Street Scene Coral

1959 Free Blown Jazz Carlton

1957 In Concert [live] Sound

1957 The Modern Art of Jazz Seeco

C'Mon Mosaic...five or six discs...pleeease... :rhappy:

ghost of miles Posted: Aug 20 2003, 07:56 AM   

QUOTE (ghost of miles @ Aug 17 2003, 01:08 PM)

Good suggestion, Tony, as the four titles listed by AMG probably wouldn't fill out 3 CDs. Probably much more of a Select possibility. Here's what they show for Pomeroy:

1955 Jazz in a Stable Transition

1957 Life is a Many Splendered Gig Fresh Sound (originally on Roulette, I believe)

1958 Band in Boston United Artists

1958 Detour Ahead United Artists

I'm going to e-mail Mosaic and see what they say, and I'll include your idea regarding the Mariano. 

Hey, Tony! Here's the word from the Big Man himself re: our Pomeroy notion:

A risky, but very tempting idea. There's also a nice Irene Kral/Pomeroy

album on UA.

MC

So there's hope!

Yes indeed - thanks for the update, sounds "temptingly" promising.

my dream!!!

#the complete Cannonball Adderley Emarcy/mercury sessions

#the complete Cannonball Adderley Riverside sessions

#the complete Cannonball Adderley Capitol sessions

gilles

webmaster of the

cannonball adderley RDV

Thanks for posting here, gilles.

I would love more Cannonball too! If more people listened to him, maybe we'd have more alto players around!!

• 3 weeks later...

Many of us have often wished for a Bobby Hutcherson Mosaic to be done. I emailed Mosaic today about the possibility of a set devoted to any vibes player, and here's the response I got:

Nothing currently planned but we are thinking of doing Hutcherson's

neglected '70s albums as a Mosaic Select.

There is hope! While it would be nice to have some of the more difficult to find 60's albums (Happenings, Oblique, Total Eclipse, etc.) as a Mosaic, I'll take what I can get. :excited: Email them and tell them you're interested, if you are!

i was thinking about sending mosaic an e-mail about a late 60's/ 70's hutcherson mosaic/mosaic select box. now i will definitely send one. the list could include:

now

head on

cirrus

knucklebean

inner glow

the view from the inside

waiting

correct me if i am wrong, but none of these have ever been released on cd. that alone would make this a great addition to anyone's blue note collection imo.

That would be a real boon, that type of Hutcherson set! Having heard a lot of these on CD-R's, though, I have to say I'd still prefer a box focused on just the Hutch/Land material, including the earlier dates.

On another topic - been listening to Slide Hampton's Atlantic recordings and AGAIN can't believe there hasn't been any action by Mosaic to get this stuff out...maybe as a Select?

What Hampton Atlantic is there that Collectables hasn't yet put out?

How good are those Collectables reissues (soundwise)? We get them here for abotu 25$ which is certainly far too much, and then I find them to have crappy annotation (I have seen some that don't give any personnel, and some that don't give no dates etc). Yet they have an interesting catalogue.

And for Hampton: there's a very good one with a similar band in the Jazz in Paris series (called "Exodus"), featuring George Coleman and Richard Williams, among others.

Cannonball: yes, I'd love that, too! A complete Emarcy would maybe bring the biggest surprise to the largest number of fans, while a Capitol thing would label-wise be the most probable (the late Capitol stuff, I'd say, because we got all safe one - which is surely just around the corner - from the Riverside/Jazzland/Capitol records). Then, it would be Fantasy's business to put out a box of the complete Riverside recordings. Yet, they don't usually include much unissued live material in their box-sets, and I'd LOVE to have some more from the San Francisco or the Japanese dates!

ubu

My personal dream set from Mosaic would have everything by the Muscle Shoals/Memphis hybrid band Atlantic assembled for a few choice sessions in '66-68. Most famously for aretha's first few for the label but also for an album and a half for Wilson Pickett, King Curtis Plays Great Memphis Hits, and one from Solomon Burke. (I don't have the albums or a discography in front of me but the defining aspect would be the exquisite and unusual combination of drummer Roger Hawkins from Muscle Shoals and bassist/guitarist tommy Cogbill from the dusty in Memphis band.) Make a nice Mosaic select.

Mike, what about TOTAL ECLIPSE, SAN FRANCISCO, and the stuff issued on MEDINA? All that would be properly included on a Hutch/Land box. I already have it all, but many would be hearing it for the first time.

Jim: Collectibles has probably issued all the Slide Hampton Atlantics, but I don't buy their stuff - most I've picked up have sounded like crap and the covers are CHEE-SY. So I tend to hold out - this gives me a much-needed rationale to avoid participating in at least ONE ongoing jazz reissue program, anyhow... -_-

THE COMPLETE ROULETTE RECORDINGS OF JOHN HANDY

THE COMPLETE ROULETTE / ROOST RECORDINGS OF EDDIE "LOCKJAW" DAVIS

THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS OF PAUL KNOPF

THE COMPLETE IMPULSE RECORDINGS OF SHIRLEY SCOTT AND STANLEY TURRENTINE

THE COMPLETE STANLEY DANCE-PRODUCED FELSTED SESSIONS

DrJ, i also have total eclipse,san francisco, and medina. these titles would definitely be included in a hutcherson/land box. though the seven recordings may not fit into the 3 cd mosaic select format,it may have to be a standard mosaic box.and that said, i would still like to see as many unissued(on cd)sessions as possible, so i would rather have the titles that i first listed. let's just hope that they do some sort of a hutcherson box period.

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered that Red Nichols did a whole series of recordings for Capitol in the 50's, with a "new" Five Pennies that had a rotating line-up (including some good, under-recorded players like Jackie Coon on mellophone). The AMG lists the following LPs, recorded between 1955-63:

IN LOVE WITH RED

HOT PENNIES

ALL-TIME HITS OF RED NICHOLS

RED NICHOLS AND THE FIVE PENNIES AT MARINELAND (!?!)

PARADE OF THE PENNIES

DIXIELAND DINNER DANCE

BLUES AND OLD TIME RAGS

I wonder if anyone has these and could comment on them...generally favorable reviews in AMG, if not ecstatic. And are there any other Capitol LPs? Might make for a nice Mosaic, along the lines of the Krupa/James and Teagarden Capitol sets (which captured these greats in the latter days of their careers, maybe past their "innovative" phases but in full maturity and in very good recorded sound).

• 4 weeks later...

I wish Mosaic would do this set:

The Complete Milt Jackson - Lucky Thompson Savoy Sessions

and these Blues and R&B sets:

The Complete Leroy Carr Sessions

The Percy Mayfield Tangerine Sessions (I read somewhere - I think it was ICE magazine - that Rhino Handmade would do a Mayfield Tangerine set, but when I asked them they said they didn't know anything about it... :blink: )

• 2 weeks later...

My second would be the Complete Eddie Costa recordings as a leader.  How many albums and labels would that be?  This would be a managable set, I would think.  There was the record on Mode, The Guys and Dolls album on Coral, House of Blue Lights on Dot, the Verve split album from Newport Jazz fest, and the Savoy album.  Am I missing anything?

Re: Eddie Costa,

these you can get on CD: the Jubilee (Fresh Sounds), the Dot (MCA Japan, reissued last May), the Coral (Verve/Universal). The Savoy with John Mehegan is fairly easy to get in eBay. The Newport half was also issued backed with a George Wallington set in vinyl. As far as I know, Universal do not intend to reissue any material with Costa in it (around 30 LPs not in CD), and it would be interesting, since they have the largest amount of music recorded by him, either as leader or sideman (some of his stuff with Farlow is more appealing than, say, the trio date for Jubilee).

The problem with Costa is that he's featured in more than 140 albums (there's still much digging to do), and he managed to add some spice to most things he did, from his solos on piano to vibes obbligatti with Chris Connor or xylophone runs with Al Caiola, and many of those LPs seem that will never be reissued... unless European law does not change before 2012 and some label gives us a surprise.

Fernando