Sets you wish Mosaic would do

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of hypothetical sets mentioned here that I'd love to see (and hear!): the Chico Hamilton Impulse (but has Mosaic ever had much luck licensing Impulse material? I know it's owned by Universal now, but I don't recall many Impulse sides ever showing up on Mosaic sets, let alone comprising one), the Konitz Verve (I wrote MC about that years ago as well), the 1960s Hodges Verve, a Don Byas or Joe Harriott... I'd also love a Mark Murphy Muse set (I've run down several of the 32 Jazz comps that Michael Bourne curated in the 1990s, but they leave a lot out from the original albums).

........the Chico Hamilton Impulse (but has Mosaic ever had much luck licensing Impulse material? I know it's owned by Universal now, but I don't recall many Impulse sides ever showing up on Mosaic sets, let alone comprising one).

Didn't the Oliver Nelson box include a lot of his Impulse! material?

........the Chico Hamilton Impulse (but has Mosaic ever had much luck licensing Impulse material? I know it's owned by Universal now, but I don't recall many Impulse sides ever showing up on Mosaic sets, let alone comprising one).

It had 'The Kennedy Dream' and 'Sound Pieces' on it (but not the 'Live In Los Angeles'). Good prompt to dig it out for a listen..

A Joe Harriott box?

That's four votes: you, me, Bol and Romualdo...

:tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Vocalion have now put out so much of the previously rare Joe Harriott Lansdowne Series material and with much of the earlier stuff also on CD (Proper etc.) such a set - although a fantastic option - has probably now been overtaken by events (sadly).

Edited by sidewinder

It had 'The Kennedy Dream' and 'Sound Pieces' on it (but not the 'Live In Los Angeles'). Good prompt to dig it out for a listen..

A Joe Harriott box?

Vocalion have now put out so much of the previously rare Joe Harriott Lansdowne Series material and with much of the earlier stuff also on CD (Proper etc.) such a set - although a fantastic option - has probably now been overtaken by events (sadly).

Ditto. What's missing? (though of course the thought is beautiful!)

A Joe Harriott box?

Hum Dono?

Edited by sidewinder

A Joe Harriott box?

Hum Dono?

And that's enough to fill a box?

i would like to see mosaic do a set we just cant get in 1st pressing album-form. like jsngry said a rare live material set.... i guess my dream set would be a 10-cd / 12-lp mosaic set of unreleased blue note outtakes. my ultimate set would be, say a few select blue note albums, but the complete session tape: as it happened, take, after take, after take.

That would make for an interesting concept for a whole different company.

My first vote would be Out To Lunch.

But I wonder, and I'm sure some here knows, are the master reels themselves "edited" in a sense? Were bum takes discarded or recorded over? Or does the reel for Moanin' just have everything the band played that day? Certainly this varies by session, engineer, label etc. I'm referring mostly to RVG-era Blue Note specifically.

A Joe Harriott box?

Hum Dono?

A whole box of 'Hum Dono' plus Tyrone Washington's 'Trainwreck' would get the orders flooding in.. :lol:

Yes. I don't get the impression there's a problem licensing Impulse material, but rather that very few artists recorded enough on the label to make a box. Coltrane and Hamilton were among the few. Plus there are a lot of populist elements (harpsichords, varitones and Sixties hit tunes), which it's obvious Cuscuna hates. Shirley Scott did enough for a box and that's one I would love to see, but Mosaic seems to avoid organists for some reason.

Well, if Mosaic is going to continue to license Muse material (though I suspect the most recent set has more to do with Cuscuna's relationship with Woody Shaw than any specific interest he might have in the label on which that music originally appeared), I think we need a Ricky Ford box, a Richard Davis box (including the Creative Construction Company LPs), and a Red Rodney / Red Rodney and Ira Sullivan box.

A Joe Harriott box?

Hum Dono?

A whole box of 'Hum Dono' plus Tyrone Washington's 'Trainwreck' would get the orders flooding in.. :lol:

Somebody definitely needs to write a folk ballad about that session.

A Joe Harriott box?

Hum Dono?

Somebody definitely needs to write a folk ballad about that session.

Percy Mayfield's long gone ... and Terry Callier, too, by now. Guess it's too late.

But yeah, give us a 4CD box of "Hum Dono" (and three blanks if needed), I'll gladly pay the price :crazy:

Edited by king ubu

........ but Mosaic seems to avoid organists for some reason.

...because they don't sell? I speak as someone who doesn't really enjoy jazz organists.

they did very nice big boxes of Jimmy Smith and Larry Young

But those were a loo-oong time ago. John Patton could have justified a big box but instead he got a rather frustrating Select. A Freddie Roach Select was mooted at one point, but never happened. I'm guessing Head Man is right and that they don't sell. Pity as a Shirley Scott Impulse box would be great.

A Freddie Roach Select would have been great ! Too bad it won't happen..

I contacted MC about this one a number of years ago (thought it would make a great Select) - he didn't think it would sell

Only one of the Roach's has been released in the US - the remainder Japanese only

• 1 year later...