John Coltrane at the Showboat

brownie

The RLR label (from Spain/Andorra?) which is issuing rare private recordings is scheduled to release a 2CD set of the John Coltrane Quartet (with Roy Haynes on drums) in 1963 at the Showboat Club in Philadelphia.

Tracks will include:

disc 1,

- Good Bait

- Out of This World

- Mr. PC

disc 2

- Afro Blue

- Solo fragment

- Impressions

Is this the same show that was part of the "Live Trane Underground"??? FWIW, I seem to remember something about McCoy being late and missing most of the show and Roy Haynes filling in for Elvin. Also, I think at the end of the disc you can hear someone playing piano softly as the audience walks out. Supposedly the pianist is Coltrane. The sound of the recording is pretty raw, IIRC.

A google search turn up the following......

DISC 9

JOHN COLTRANE QUARTET, 1963:

John Coltrane (tenor & soprano sax),

Jimmy Garrison (bass),

Roy Haynes (drums).

McCoy Tyner (piano)

(*= no McCoy Tyner)

Showboat, Philadelphia,

June (possibly 10, 17, or 24) 1963

1.CHASIN' THE TRANE (10:50)*

2. IT'S EASY TO REMEMBER (6:42)*

3. UP 'GAINST THE WALL (5:40 cut)*

4. THE INCHWORM (8:34)

5. IMPRESSIONS (13:27--incomplete)

6. audience noise (0:24)

Hmm.. doesn't match up

Cannot paste the info on this release but the link gives June 17,1963 as the record date.

Tracks lengths:

disc 1,

- Good Bait 19:32

- Out of This World 24:50

- Mr. PC 18:13

disc 2

- Afro Blue 11:47

- Solo fragment 0:47

- Impressions 35:31

But where's "Resolution"?

Are you thinking of the recording from France in 1965 (included on the recent deluxe Love Supreme Impulse release)? As far as I know, that is the only known live recording of Resolution. It is often not easy to tell what key Coltrane is playing in on that recording. :)

Edited by John L

Cannot paste the info on this release but the link gives June 17,1963 as the record date.

Tracks lengths:

disc 1,

- Good Bait 19:32

- Out of This World 24:50

- Mr. PC 18:13

disc 2

- Afro Blue 11:47

- Solo fragment 0:47

- Impressions 35:31

Perhaps "Solo Fragment" = "Resolution"?

Are you thinking of the recording from France in 1965 (included on the recent deluxe Love Supreme Impulse release)? As far as I know, that is the only known live recording of Resolution. It is often not easy to tell what key Coltrane is playing in on that recording. :)

Perhaps that Resolution was from another night at the Showboat?

I think Lon must be right. There's definitely a recording of "Resolution" from the Showboat in 1963. It's been documented that the piece was first played there, and that it was in a different key.

And like I said, I know it exists, because somebody (an old acquaintance who's a CRUEL fucker :g ) played it for me over the phone one time. ONE time! And no, he wasn't about to send me a copy.

It exists, trust me.

Perhaps that Resolution was from another night at the Showboat?

I think Lon must be right. There's definitely a recording of "Resolution" from the Showboat in 1963. It's been documented that the piece was first played there, and that it was in a different key.

And like I said, I know it exists, because somebody (an old acquaintance who's a CRUEL fucker :g ) played it for me over the phone one time. ONE time! And no, he wasn't about to send me a copy.

It exists, trust me.

If this is an Andorran production, it's also possible one of the tracks is mistitled.

• 2 weeks later...

So we are talking Love Supreme in embryo here? That sounds like an important piece of musical history. When will the bastards see fit to share it? :)

My first post so I hope I have the protocol right.

#1 This new release appears to be the August 1963 (no exact date) Showboat set. The titles and timings match up except that what has been listed as "Afro Blue" is in fact "The Promise". Also, Roy Haynes is not the drummer. Elvin Jones is back on drums for this date.

#2 The date for the earlier Showboat set, which does feature Haynes, is June 10, 1963.

#3 "Resolution" is not from the Showboat. It was recorded in Philadelphia at Pep's on September 18, 1964.

So we are talking Love Supreme in embryo here? That sounds like an important piece of musical history. When will the bastards see fit to share it? :)

My first post so I hope I have the protocol right.

#1 This new release appears to be the August 1963 (no exact date) Showboat set. The titles and timings match up except that what has been listed as "Afro Blue" is in fact "The Promise". Also, Roy Haynes is not the drummer. Elvin Jones is back on drums for this date.

#2 The date for the earlier Showboat set, which does feature Haynes, is June 10, 1963.

#3 "Resolution" is not from the Showboat. It was recorded in Philadelphia at Pep's on September 18, 1964.

Thanks, Ed. September, 1964 is a little less surprising.

• 11 years later...