Irene Schweizer

jazz1

• 5 months later...

I just got Chicago Piano Solo - in a sales bin, for about 7 bucks.

My first Schweizer (and I am the Schweizer on this board... -_- )

No chance to listen yet, but I'll report back.

ubu

I love this albulm.

The Monk and Ibrahim influence are obvoius.

She also like to startle the listener and demand attention, intense stuff.

At first it may sound quite "out"but after a few listenings you will dicover that the music is well stuctured.

One of my fav cd of 2003.

In general theUS audience is not well exposed to European jazz, such a pity!!

As I think it as a freshess and openess that is quite different.

Your comments are awaited with anticipation

I'd say check out 'Les Diaboliques'. It was recorded live with a trio of vocalist Maggie Nichols, bassist Joelle Leandre, and Irene on piano. There is a playful spirit that runs through this recording. And the playing is incredible!

Also check out 'The Storming of the Winter Palace' with an all-star lineup of free improvisers: vocalist Maggie Nicols, trombonist George Lewis, bassist Joelle Leandre, and percussionist GĂ¼nter Sommer. Anything with Lewis on it is essential.

Thanks! But I think subscribing might be the best. Usually the swiss frank tends to be in between 1.4-1.5 US$ - the current situation being rather extreme for the last two or three years.

Subscribing might be the best thing, anyway, as supporting small labels is a good thing for sure, and Intakt has a very fine back list, which I think as a subscriber you can get for the special prize, too. (which is 25 swiss franks)

ubu

Schweizer is amazing and rather underrated in the continuum of free European pianists. For some of her earlier recordings, I recommend the trio with Pierre Favre and Peter Kowald, "Santana" (on a private LP as well as an FMP reissue), the Favre quartet on Wergo (which adds Evan Parker on his usual axes), and any of FMP LPs of the 70s -- especially those involving the powerhouse saxophonist Rudiger Carl (sort of in between Brotzmann and Parker on tenor). Hopefully the Atavistic UMS-FMP reissue series will hit some of these superb titles.