'Redneck-A-Palooza' Features Music, Hair

'Redneck-A-Palooza' Features Music, Hair

'Redneck-A-Palooza' in Springfield, Ill. Features Music, Mullets

The Associated Press

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. July 28 —

Good ol' boys. Good ol' music. Bad haircuts.

Springfield celebrated them all Sunday at its first "Redneck-a-palooza," a daylong music festival that takes its name from the summer rock tour Lollapalooza, which features aggressive, cutting-edge performances.

"It's kind of the anti-Lollapalooza," said Glen Gardner, general manager of radio station WQLZ-FM 92.7, which sponsored the daylong festival with Budweiser. "This is about some good ol' boys (who) play good ol' music and have fun on a Sunday."

For 13-year-old Sarah Sepherd, it was all about having something fun to do on a hot summer day.

"We just came because of the music; it's the only thing here in Springfield to do," Sepherd said.

Boaters on Lake Springfield anchored near the shore to listen to the music, and people onstage at the Oak Harbor Amphitheater periodically hosed the crowd with water to help combat the effects of the hot, muggy weather.

Performers included rowdy rockers Jackyl, Bo Fudd and the Do-Rite Boyz, the Lost Boys and Hayseed Dixie, a bluegrass band that performs rock covers.

In between performances, contestants competed to see who had the best mullet the short-in-front, long-in-back hairstyle associated with country singer Billy Ray Cyrus.

In another contest, women competed to see who looked the most like Daisy Duke, a character from the early '80s TV show "Dukes of Hazzard" known for the shortness of her cut-off pants.

The event drew roughly 1,000 people, Gardner said.

Hayseed Dixie are great. their version of AC/DC's Back In Black is a classic!

as far a mullets go...

http://www.mulletsgalore.com/

http://www.mulletmadness.com/

http://www.ratemymullet.com/

i work with a guy who for years sported a mullet. at one point someone at work tried to clue him in but he still thought he looked "cool". he's about 6'2" and tips the scale well over 300lbs, and considers himself quite a ladies man. he's married, but likes to fool around and the women he chases all have emotional problems. it's kinda funny in a sad pathetic sort of way.

so a coule of days before he cut his mullet off, he and several of the folks from work went out to some upscale bar. there were a ton of single women, mostly in groups milling around. a bunch of the women came up to Mullitboy, and asked if they could have their picture taken with him. he thinks he's died and gone to heaven. they can't get over his mullet and are laughing right in his face. totally pityful. he still didn't get it. finally someone from work took him aside and told him what the deal was. he split and returned to work the following Monday sans mullet. he says he still misses it. :blink:

Jacman, you are disturbed.

thanks, that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a while. :lol:

i guess i should tell you that when i was a kid i used to pray everynight that i'd wake up and be a member of the Addam's Family. really. :blink:

Another horrible hair-do that should've died a long time ago but for some reason still exists... ducktails.

I was at a party of a friend awhile back and one of his nephews, who was about 6 or 7 years old, sported this poofy, spikey hair on top and a super-long ducktail in the back.

I immediately called my wife and said, "Honey, when we have children, under no circumstances will they be allowed to have ducktails, ok?" She whole-heartedly agreed.

I'm all for letting my children express themselves, but I draw the line at letting them look like they live in a trailer-home... even if, God forbid, we for some reason have to live in a trailer home.

BTW, jacman, for giving me nightmares for the next month due to that picture of Kid Nipply, I hereby ban you from this board FOREVER.

:g  :g  :g

woo hooo, i've been BAN!

thank you, thank you very much. i'm just so proud to be BAN from this wonderfull website. you dislike me, you really really dislike me. (sniff) thank you soooo much.

:lol:

• 3 months later...

A friend of mine went as a redneck for Halloween and had his long hair trimmed into a mullet before getting it all shaved off. He sent the following picture to Mullet.com, where it was awarded "Mullet of the Month":

hayseed.jpg

mullet-of-the-month winner!

The hayseed mullet. Somewhat dreamy, somewhat disenchanted "what the hell is going on" gaze. Or perhaps its a "hey you" kinda moment. Hey, you. Yes, YOU!!!

But what's important is the artwork. The hint of a skullet and the spiky brush gradually and seamlessly evolving into a full-length waterfall. Right on!

the weirdest thing about that is that your friend must apparantly at one point in time have thought... hmmm, what will it be for Halloween this year? Something to really scare all them kids off.... I know, let's go as a redneck, I'll have my hair .... blahblah....

SCARY friends you have ! :g