JJJ is gone!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmmmmm ... I must admit I feel sorry for anyone not "moved" by the opening of "Hello, Young Lovers" from this set .... pure (bop) jazz trombone at its absolute best .... But, different strokes .... that's what makes art ...

In this vein I must confess that I have never "gotten" the mystique surrounding Wayne Shorter as a player, who I find boring, although I do like his compositions; and I just do not "get" the enthusiasm for Lee Morgan's "lotsa notes without a coherent theme" playing (Art Farmer is my man!) ... so throw bricks ... I am ready ...

Garth,

Houston.

Edited by garthsj

That is pretty much my feeling too. The music is consistently at a very high level. The arrangements are excellent, and every note and beat is in its proper place. This is bop at its most prim and proper. I enjoy it in small doses, but have trouble staying with it too long.

Well, each one has his/her own tastes, but I like the arranged quality of the music, sometime I just get tired of the unision head/solos/head format that a lot of hard bop falls into. It's very enjoyable to me to listen to JJ's arrangments and hear the different ways he presents the music. I'm very glad I got this before time ran out.

I am never sure that all Mosaic sets are shipped in some sort of rational numerical order. For instance, I got this set as a preorder the first day it was available, and my number is 1204 ... I guess that there might have been 1200 others just pining away for this great material ...

• 3 weeks later...